• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Previous iPhone users: I'm sick of your rants

Well, since you made this thread about it, I figured I would give my evaluation and conclusion on both phones when I was trying to decide what to do. I was originally sold on the Evo, but now I am probably not getting it. I will probably be called an iPhone fanboy by you though.

1. Multitask!
2. Holy crap FLASH IN YOUR WEB PAGES
3. Switch out the battery
4. Skip iTunes
5. 4G internet
6. REAL cell phone coverage

And most importantly:

7. Up to 50% less than your AT&T BILL.

1. Multitask for iPhone should be out later today (or otherwise very soon) with OS 4.0. Some people say it is not "real" multitasking, but the bottom line is it gives programs an API to do the stuff that I would like done in the background (playing music in Pandora, GPS directions, etc.) I don't really care what is "real" or not, just what it actually does. Also, with the iPhone's multitask there is no need for a debate on whether to use task killers or how battery life will be affected by apps mysteriously running themselves. When I realized this about Android I was turned off a bit.

2. True.

3. True, although I've never bought a single extra battery for any phone or laptop I've ever owned. Am I strange? I just recharge the phone every night or with the car charger while I'm driving if I really need to. You can also get external battery packs for the iPhone, but again I've never needed such a thing.

4. True, I hate iTunes.

5. 4G was the initial draw for me, but then I did more research on it. I was initially sold when I read that speeds were "up to 10x faster". Then I realized that 4G speeds for many people are only in the 3-4 Mbs range. My iPhone clocks in at 2.8 Mbs on At&t 3G here. So Sprint's 4G does seem better, but not by nearly as much as I thought (kind of like a 3.5G).

What was even worse though was that Sprint's 3G is ridiculously slow. From what I've read people are barely breaking 1 Mb/s on it. That means if I'm not getting 4G reception (which has been said to be spotty), then I'll be going only half (maybe even a third) of the speed of At&t 3G.

If I see verifiable, repeatable results in my area showing the Evo consistently breaking 4 Mb/s and even into the 5-7 Mb/s range with 4G reception in most places that I go then I will seriously reconsider, but so far that doesn't look likely.

6. I think the cell signal on At&t gets an unfair bias against it for some reason. My iPhone does get a strong 3G signal nearly everywhere except for some really gigantic buildings I suppose. Based on the spotty 4G coverage I've heard from Sprint though it seems like both sides have issues at times. I have gotten dropped calls on my iPhone before, but it isn't so constant like everyone seems to say. Maybe I just live in a good coverage area?

7. Another big draw for me to the Evo was the price, but when I went to the Sprint store I realized it wasn't nearly as big as I thought. On At&t I pay about $89.50/month (with taxes). According to Sprint I would have paid, $79.99/month - 10% student discount = $72
then they said $9 of taxes so $81 total
Also I verified several times with the Sprint guy that the student discount for me was only 10% and not the 15% it seems like everyone else somehow gets. Still don't understand that one. I know Sprint gives a bunch of unlimited stuff, but apparently my usage is within the price range of a $90 At&t plan so ultimately that's the real world price difference for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones