• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Problem installing xRecovery in 2.3

beau420

Android Expert
Nov 10, 2010
Ottawa
I was making a walkthrough on how to install 2.3 and then root and install xRecovery when I got stuck.

First open this page and keep it open -

[FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies - branded fw available 2nd post - xda-developers

Then I downloaded and installed the Flashtool at the top of that page.

Wanted to completely clean my phone, so I opened Settings and went to Privacy and did a Factory Data Reset and then backed out and still in Settings, went to Storage and Unmounted and Erased my SDCard

Needed a copy of 2.3, so I went here

[Download] All X10 Firmwares - xda-developers

Downloaded this

All Generic 2.3.3 Kits For X10a
X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_AMERICA-US GENERIC 1233-8200.zip (140.5 MB)

After that flashed to that version

Click Flash, chose folder where I extracted the TFT file and chose to flash.

When it prompted me it was done, I unplugged phone and then turned it off and back on (still unplugged)

When the phone started up, it had 2.3 on it, I then turned on Unknown Sources and under Development, USB debugging and Stay awake

Then I tried to plug back in the USB cable and check the x10 Flashtool

Don't mount, just plug in USB, shows I can't Root....says Android version : 2.3.3 / kernel version : uname: permission denied

Does allow me to click Ask Root Perms (but I don't have any superuser or busybox installed) and APK Installer, which I guess might work, but I might as well just install a File Manager on the phone and install and APK if I need to.

I restarted the phone just to make sure my settings stuck (the USB Debugging and Unknown Sources and Stay Awake) It did save the info and was working fine

At this point I want to root, so I need to use the Downgrade TFT file and then root, then Upgrade back to where I am at now (but rooted)

I turn off the phone

So back in the x10 Flashtool, I Flash, then by default it loaded the \firmware folder where the x10 flashtool is installed I select the Downgrade TFT file

I unplug the USB cable, I turn off the phone....keep the x10 Flashtool open

Now I want to turn on the phone but the second I feel the vibration it makes when it turns on, I plug in the USB cable

I am unable to select Root and the phone freezes at the Sony Ericsson screen

I have to go to Advanced at the top of the menu bar in the x10 Flashtool and select Root and beside that select Force psneuter

Nice, now in the x10 Flashtool I can see it no longer says "Android version : 2.3.3 / kernel version : uname: permission denied" it says "Android version : 2.3.3 / kernel version : 2.6.29
"

Now that it is rooted, it still doesn't boot, until I Upgrade, so I can't turn off the phone with the power button...I pop out the battery

In the x10 Flashtool I goto Flash and select the Upgrade TFT file

Make sure USB cable is plugged in and hold the Back button and put the battery back in the phone

Now that I have Upgraded back to 'normal' I am rooted and have 2.3.3...unplug USB, start the phone up

From here I can install xRecovery if I want or just stick with Stock 2.3.3 Rooted

------------------

I plan on installing xRecovery

Back in the x10 Flashtool I notice it now says Android version : 2.3.3 / kernel version : 2.6.29-00054-g5f01537

I click Ask Root Perms and now it opens up a popup on my x10 asking if it wants me to grant it access

I click Yes on the phone, now I am able to click several more buttons in the x10 Flashtool at the top

I still need BusyBox installed...downloaded from the Market and installed it

I click the xRecovery button at the top in the x10 Flashtool...popup in the x10 Flashtool asking me if I want xRecovery 0.3 or 0.3GB

I chose 0.3GB....not really sure what the differences are...either way, should be easy to change if I need to

So....in the x10 Flashtool, here is what it says:

28/045/2011 01:45:53 - INFO - Connected device : X10
28/045/2011 01:45:53 - INFO - Installed version of busybox : BusyBox v1.19.0.git.adrynalyne (2010-12-21 22:03:30 MST) multi-call binary.
28/045/2011 01:45:53 - INFO - Running uname -r command
28/045/2011 01:45:53 - INFO - Android version : 2.3.3 / kernel version : 2.6.29-00054-g5f01537
28/007/2011 02:07:44 - WARN - Please check your Phone and 'ALLOW' Superuseraccess!
28/007/2011 02:07:45 - INFO - Root Access Allowed
28/007/2011 02:07:55 - INFO - Installing chargemon feature / kernel bootkit to device...
28/007/2011 02:07:55 - INFO - Remounting system read-write
28/007/2011 02:07:55 - INFO - Pulling /data/local/tmp/remount.log to .\devices\X10\work\remount.log
28/007/2011 02:07:56 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\bootkit\chargemon to /data/local/tmp/
28/007/2011 02:07:56 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\bootkit\sh to /data/local/tmp/
28/007/2011 02:07:56 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\bootkit\splboot21.ko to /data/local/tmp/
28/007/2011 02:07:57 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\bootkit\splboot23.ko to /data/local/tmp/
28/007/2011 02:07:57 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\bootkit\miniloader to /data/local/tmp/
28/007/2011 02:07:58 - INFO - Running installbootkit as root thru sysrun
28/007/2011 02:07:58 - INFO - bootkit successfully installed
28/007/2011 02:07:58 - INFO - Installing xRecovery to device...
28/007/2011 02:07:58 - INFO - Remounting system read-write
28/008/2011 02:08:00 - INFO - Pulling /data/local/tmp/remount.log to .\devices\X10\work\remount.log
28/008/2011 02:08:07 - INFO - Pushing ./devices/X10/recovery/0.3GB/recovery.tar.bz2 to /data/local/tmp/recovery.tar.bz2
28/008/2011 02:08:07 - INFO - Pushing .\devices\X10\work\model to /data/local/tmp/model
28/008/2011 02:08:08 - INFO - Running installrecovery as root thru sysrun
28/008/2011 02:08:08 - INFO - xRecovery successfully installed

So, it does give me access, it thinks it is installing xRecovery....but I don't see it.

I am now trying to manually copy the contents of xRecovery onto my phone's memory (not SDCard) but I am not having any luck so far.

Anyone have any suggestions? I see no xRecovery.tar in /system/xbin where I have installed BusyBox from the Market.

hey guys, got my phone rooted and im havin the problems with xrecovery too. using the xinstaller app it just places the 3 req files but the process doesnt complete and xrecovery doesnt start up on reboot. i want to try and install it via modified 0.2.9.1 flashtool. Also do i need to flash a specific ftf bundle to successfully install xrecovery?

Upvote 0
hey guys, got my phone rooted and im havin the problems with xrecovery too. using the xinstaller app it just places the 3 req files but the process doesnt complete and xrecovery doesnt start up on reboot. i want to try and install it via modified 0.2.9.1 flashtool. Also do i need to flash a specific ftf bundle to successfully install xrecovery?
Please read

Upvote 0
Heres my phones stats:
Android 2.3.3 stock
Baseband 2.1.71
Kernal 2.6.29.0054-g5f01537 SEMCuser@SEMChost#1

The kernal doesnt look right to me
-------
im going to try and flash AU generic via 0.2.9.1-GBready_root_xRec
The kernel is correct...I still believe the problem is due to using the wrong version of flashtool. Use the one I listed and report back

Reactions: Empath
Upvote 0
The kernel is correct...I still believe the problem is due to using the wrong version of flashtool. Use the one I listed and report back

Yup...that was probably the fix.

Use 0.29 flashtool.

I ended up restarting using a copy of 2.1 I had laying around and did the DoomLord method....basically the same.

Install 2.1, root, install xRecovery.
Restore to a 2.3 version I download, then flash with the kernel and baseband from 2.3 using the flashtool and I am back to where I was.

Now with 2.3, if I want xRecovery...which disappeared since upgrading, do I use the Flashtool for 0.29 again?

Do you recommend a way I install xRecovery....think I have some time tomorrow and want to tinker around with my phone.

Upvote 0

Use 0.29 flashtool.

I ended up restarting using a copy of 2.1 I had laying around and did the DoomLord method....basically the same.

Restore to a 2.3 version I download, then flash with the kernel and baseband from 2.3 using the flashtool and I am back to where I was.

Now with 2.3, if I want xRecovery...which disappeared since upgrading, do I use the Flashtool for 0.29 again?

Do you recommend a way I install xRecovery....think I have some time tomorrow and want to tinker around with my phone.
Good choice on starting from 2.1, fresh installs are always the best foundation to start from.

To install xRec on GB, make sure to use THIS VERSION OF FLASHTOOL 0.2.9.1-GBready_root_xRec

And to root GB and install xRec, make sure to follow THIS TUTORIAL

That tutorial is as noob friendly as it gets, not that you're a noob or anything cause you probably know more about these things than I do, but it's very easy to follow and is pretty much spot on!

Let me know how it works out

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i couldn't figure out how to install Xrec through the flashtool...when i clicked on ask root perms it asked me to accept superuseraccess through phone but nothing came up, this could be because superuser wasnt installed properly even though i had successfully rooted my phone, so ive decided to start all over again -> http://androidforums.com/sony-erics...w-install-custom-rom-scratch.html#post3280436
Wow...I was so scared to attempt this rooting stuff the first time around, I had never done it before and didn't want to brick my phone.....but it worked perfectly fine for me the first time around...except for the fact that I flashed the whole damn rom via flashtool instead of just the kernel. I'll check your thread and see if I can be of any assistance.

beau420, any updates?

Upvote 0

Use 0.29 flashtool.

It took me 2 attempts, the first time I rooted the phone didnt ask for superuser access when I clicked ask root perms. so I rooted again then problem was solved. I used the busybox installer apk instead of market version..not sure if that made a difference. I was thinking maybe theres leftover system files from previously installed Xrecovery that prevent the phone from installing Xrecovery successfully a second time. lucky I came across this thread or else id still be lost. many thanks guys

Upvote 0
There is version FlashTool version 0.2.9.1 and FlashTool version 0.3.0.0....there isn't a version between the two are there?

I have 2.3 installed and rooted and xRecovery installed. I can boot to it.

But now whenever I try to restore a previous backup or restore a custom ROM I get the error:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(Device or resource busy)
(Can't mount SDCard)

Now I am unable to view the SDCard (if I chose to restore again or create a backup or install a custom ROM) until I reboot the phone

I assume it is some sort of rights issue.

Just spent last 5-10 min looking at this...haven't really tried much yet.
I was able to create a backup and it did that error free.

Upvote 0
There is version FlashTool version 0.2.9.1 and FlashTool version 0.3.0.0....there isn't a version between the two are there?

I have 2.3 installed and rooted and xRecovery installed. I can boot to it.

But now whenever I try to restore a previous backup or restore a custom ROM I get the error:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(Device or resource busy)
(Can't mount SDCard)

Now I am unable to view the SDCard (if I chose to restore again or create a backup or install a custom ROM) until I reboot the phone

I assume it is some sort of rights issue.

Just spent last 5-10 min looking at this...haven't really tried much yet.
I was able to create a backup and it did that error free.
There's 0.2.9.1 and then there's the one I linked to above. It is imperative that you use the one I linked to or you will have issues. I have not had to assign any rights at all since flashing my phone to GB and have since flashed it numerous times with no SD card error at all. Instead of chasing this ghost I highly advise you to do the process all over using the flashtool I linked to above and following DoomLords tutorial.

Upvote 0
There's 0.2.9.1 and then there's the one I linked to above. It is imperative that you use the one I linked to or you will have issues. I have not had to assign any rights at all since flashing my phone to GB and have since flashed it numerous times with no SD card error at all. Instead of chasing this ghost I highly advise you to do the process all over using the flashtool I linked to above and following DoomLords tutorial.

You want to suggest any x10a ROMs?

With 2.1 I had no problems connecting using the x10i ROM (it would connect via EDGE/HPSA or whatever instead of 3G) but now for some reason, even if I select the right network operator, my data connection does nothing at all on the x10i ROM on 2.3.

x10a (which is the ROM I should be using) connects fine on 2.3...to 3G and the other way.

So, now I am on the hunt for some x10a ROMs. Everyone I have looked at so far is for the x10i.

I rooted by installing 2.3 x10a stock...then downgrading and rooting and upgrading back to the right kernel. That all worked fine.

Just put the 2.91 and installed xRecovery from it. Not sure if it allows me to restore a ROM yet. Charging phone...let it get down to 10 percent battery power this morning.

14/030/2011 14:30:47 - WARN - Please check your Phone and 'ALLOW' Superuseraccess!
14/030/2011 14:30:47 - INFO - Root Access Allowed
14/030/2011 14:30:52 - INFO - Installing xRecovery to device...
14/030/2011 14:30:52 - INFO - Remounting system read-write
14/030/2011 14:30:52 - INFO - Pushing .\custom\xRecovery\recoveryX10.tar.bz2 to /data/local/tmp/recovery.tar.bz2
14/030/2011 14:30:53 - INFO - Pushing .\custom\xRecovery\chargemon to /data/local/tmp/chargemon
14/030/2011 14:30:53 - INFO - Pushing .\custom\xRecovery\model to /data/local/tmp/model
14/030/2011 14:30:53 - INFO - Pushing .\custom\xRecovery\chargerX10 to /data/local/tmp/charger
14/030/2011 14:30:53 - INFO - Pushing .\custom\xRecovery\sh to /data/local/tmp/sh
14/030/2011 14:30:54 - INFO - Running installrecovery as root thru sysrun
14/030/2011 14:30:55 - INFO - xRecovery successfully installed

So far so good.

Upvote 0
You want to suggest any x10a ROMs?

With 2.1 I had no problems connecting using the x10i ROM (it would connect via EDGE/HPSA or whatever instead of 3G) but now for some reason, even if I select the right network operator, my data connection does nothing at all on the x10i ROM on 2.3.

x10a (which is the ROM I should be using) connects fine on 2.3...to 3G and the other way.

So, now I am on the hunt for some x10a ROMs. Everyone I have looked at so far is for the x10i.

I rooted by installing 2.3 x10a stock...then downgrading and rooting and upgrading back to the right kernel. That all worked fine.

Just put the 2.91 and installed xRecovery from it. Not sure if it allows me to restore a ROM yet. Charging phone...let it get down to 10 percent battery power this morning. So far so good.
x10a, x10i, doesn't matter. My phone is an x10a from AT&T but the firmware I've got on it ever since rooting it for the first time on 2.1 shows that it's an x10i and I have always retained full functionality. So don't let that be a deterrent in any way shape or form cause it's about as relevant as breathing in thru the left nostril as opposed to the right.

The only rom I've ever used is Wolfbreak Xperia TW Gingerbread
I've never had a desire to try any others as it's been fast, smooth and stable for me since day 1. It doesn't have a bunch of unnecessary visual mods that make it look cheesy, it's just a straight up performer. I have seen some tweaks/mods I like from other roms, like how on the T.E.A.M. rom they included the option to boot into recovery via the main power options pictured below

screenshot_55.png
screenshot_57.png

I've yet to find one that is as minimal as WB to get me to try it out, maybe one day.

Ended up installing this ROM

[ROM] CM7-ZMOD| 003 | Cyanogenmod 7 | 2.3.3 | zKernel is back! | 19/08/2011 - xda-developers

Went fine. Wiped davilik cache...install custom zip....reboot

So far so good...now just have to customize it for me. ADWs auto rotate of the homescreen I find annoying.
Very popular rom there, nice choice. Not my cup of tea but alot of people seem to like it. You can disable the auto rotate, download SwitchPro widget off the Market, it has an option to disable that among numerous other functions/features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones