• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Question about Handcent

Handcent allows you to set notification tones for different Contacts, or have one default tone for all incoming SMS/MMS messages (except the ones you set a custom sound for). AS far as email though, that runs through Android's native GMail/Email apps and would have to be set elsewhere. If you go into your Gmail settings, there is an option to set a notification for email other than the system default notification. I don't know if there is yet an option in Gmail or with a 3rd party app to set custom notification sounds for emails from different contacts.

Reactions: AmneonX
Upvote 0
I was trying to figure out to set Handcent as my default, not the messages that came with HTC. When I configure to set notification in Handcent but realized that HTC messages still overcome Handcent setting.

I tried to disable messages: Uncheck in Menu-->Setting-->Play Notification sound. Then Handcent doesn't vibrate when received. So, I had to go over messages and re-check again. Althought, Handcent setting is uncheck... But it WORKs???

I think something to do with default?? Is there a way for me to go someplace to tell Evo that I wanted Handcent to be defaults??

Upvote 0
Handcent allows you to set notification tones for different Contacts, or have one default tone for all incoming SMS/MMS messages (except the ones you set a custom sound for). AS far as email though, that runs through Android's native GMail/Email apps and would have to be set elsewhere. If you go into your Gmail settings, there is an option to set a notification for email other than the system default notification. I don't know if there is yet an option in Gmail or with a 3rd party app to set custom notification sounds for emails from different contacts.

I'm trying to find the setting to set any tones, but specifically for where you can set for specific contacts. Can you tell me where I can find that?

Upvote 0
Okay...can someone assist me on this one? I don't see how to do it. Bear with me, as I'm new to all this Android goodness. :D
i have used handcent for a long while and have it figured out to the teee...lol..pm me and i can help u...i am a habitual texter...lol..see.. i told my husband it is useful...he said its a wast of time..now i can tell him my texting was meant to help others on this planet..haha..seriously though.. u cant set any tones or anything other than sms or mms in handsent..it is a text and mms only service for now..as for contacts..and setting different tones...open the main list where messages are delivered..u will have to click on a thread of a contact that has already texted or has been texted by u( no other way at this time) once u open their thread click on the top right icon..i believe it is a star.. a pop up will apppear.. click on notification settings..u can go from there.. If u have deleted all your threads..what u can do is text some of your contacts in ur list (maybe saying sorry to bother..texting to fix phone settings..do not reply..so u can have them there to pull up..(ugggg i had to do that..sux..) ok to make handcent default.. go to settings in ur phone and select messages app (the default one that came with your phone)..hit menu..click settings...un check auto retrieve..and uncheck retrieved notification.. i also unchecked the failure notification box too..anyway.. handcent will then be your default..but...u will still be able to see messages recieved if u open the messages app that came with your phone..unless deleted..this should resolve the double notification icons on ur phone though.. sorry to make such a novel..i actually feel special that i am helping someone (hopefully) rather than being helped..good luck...pm if u need..ill be online for a while....

Reactions: w_bovine
Upvote 0
i have used handcent for a long while and have it figured out to the teee...lol..pm me and i can help u...i am a habitual texter...lol..see.. i told my husband it is useful...he said its a wast of time..now i can tell him my texting was meant to help others on this planet..haha..seriously though.. u cant set any tones or anything other than sms or mms in handsent..it is a text and mms only service for now..as for contacts..and setting different tones...open the main list where messages are delivered..u will have to click on a thread of a contact that has already texted or has been texted by u( no other way at this time) once u open their thread click on the top right icon..i believe it is a star.. a pop up will apppear.. click on notification settings..u can go from there.. If u have deleted all your threads..what u can do is text some of your contacts in ur list (maybe saying sorry to bother..texting to fix phone settings..do not reply..so u can have them there to pull up..(ugggg i had to do that..sux..) ok to make handcent default.. go to settings in ur phone and select messages app (the default one that came with your phone)..hit menu..click settings...un check auto retrieve..and uncheck retrieved notification.. i also unchecked the failure notification box too..anyway.. handcent will then be your default..but...u will still be able to see messages recieved if u open the messages app that came with your phone..unless deleted..this should resolve the double notification icons on ur phone though.. sorry to make such a novel..i actually feel special that i am helping someone (hopefully) rather than being helped..good luck...pm if u need..ill be online for a while....

Okay...I understand...I think. :D The texting lingo slowed me down a bit...but then I'm an old guy and have to pause to figure out abbreviations. I came to figure that adding a specific notification tone had to do with editing done within a text thread. So yes, you did indeed help someone. Go treat yourself to a new app! :)

Upvote 0
Okay...I understand...I think. :D The texting lingo slowed me down a bit...but then I'm an old guy and have to pause to figure out abbreviations. I came to figure that adding a specific notification tone had to do with editing done within a text thread. So yes, you did indeed help someone. Go treat yourself to a new app! :)
haha well ive had a bit of coffee this eveningg.. i re read post and realized u stated new to android... sorry.. when i was new to it.. i couldnt even figure out how to GET to settings.. sorry.. and im sure ur not that old haha.. i am 32 and i still keep up with the kiddos when it comes to tech stuff..and if i dont uderstand lingo.. i just do the next best thing aside from google...(ask my 10 yr old))hahahahahahaha...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones