• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

question with rooting (how it works)

k2mj0612

Lurker
Apr 13, 2012
i just got my new phone yesterday and i got pretty used to the system and all that,, but now that i downloaded all the apps that i wanted,, i see that there are quite a few apps which were already installed that uses data.. i was quite shocked that the onavo's live data shows how much some of these apps were hogging up the datas,, like i know i downloaded apps from google play but i do not even see where the market downloader is and it is saying it used up 50mb in a day and a half.. I am also using apn app that turns on and off all the data connection with a touch of a button...
so .. my question is..

1. How do i root the phone and what are some cautions i need to take (my main purpose is to get rid of pre installed apps that i do not wish to have)
3. i'm reading some stuff about rooting and it says i need a certain program to run it and to have back up of.. which programs are those?
2. how do i know which apps/ preinstalled programs are safe to delete once rooted? (ex. i delete something then it tells me a phone's basic functions do not work... )

i will be continuing to look for what rooting is/ how it works and what are safe to delete on rooted,, but i would also like to hear from the experienced guys like you.. please help me out guys, thanks you so much~

You can find most of what you are looking for in http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-international-all-things-root/496460-samsung-galaxy-s2-international-all-things-root-guide-last-updated-02-mar-2012-13-48-gmt.html. Take it slow and please ask if you are unsure. We'd hate for something to go amiss and frustrate you. It's not really that foreboding, but "stuff" happens.

As for the preinstalled apps, you are correct, many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. The safe option once rooted is to use Titanium Backup to freeze those apps. Once frozen it's as if they don't exist on the phone, but are easily unfrozen if it disables your phone. After a while, if freezing has no negative consequences, you can go ahead and delete them. However, if you decide to delete a pre-installed app, please do a nandroid backup first so if, for any reason, you want it back you can restore it rather than completely reflash your phone back to stock.

Upvote 0
In addition to what sntaylor said, ICS also lets you disable system apps completely. By going into settings, applications, all, selecting the app you want to disable (can only be done on system apps, as downloaded apps let you uninstall instead), then click disable (might have to uninstall updates before it will let you do it. this prevents teh app from running and using battery or data, in what I imagine is a similar way to Titanium Backup's Freeze option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones