• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Questions about being a new user

Just thinking about everything being apps, decided to go over them... see one "My Files" that shows a lot, like pictures and moving them (to memory card) I'm sure this all isn't as complicated as I think (because it's all new)
What is LOST.DIR (in caps) in the My Files?
As to backlog of pictures trying to send, it didn't send the first one I tried and I was outside, not near the WiFi.
I don't think I have been paying enough attention to the apps, which seem to be what runs it for the most part?
I need to go over things one at a time and see what they are and do.
Like the camera, it has settings, that show up on the screen, but when I tap them nothing happens. I got them with the Photo Editor and one opened (changing the quality/size of the pictures) Even though when I try and send bigger ones, it auto resizes them smaller.
Do I need Google music player? There is a choice of that and "play sound" (generic maybe) that works.
maybe after my daughter calls ATT the picture thing will be resolved.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

Samsung design their phones so that mobile data is needed to send mms. This means that even if WiFi is on when an mms is sent or received the WiFi connection will be temporarily cut and the mobile data takes over until the message is sentor received. This means that even though WiFi is enabled you will still need mobile data turned on or when it tries to take over the connection it well fail. It's worth checking you have mobile data turned on in settings, more settings, mobile networks (I hope the settings layout is similar to my Samsung). While there also check in access point names to ensure your mobile data is set up for mms. Yours apn settings should look something like this

Name: AT&T PTA
APN: pta
Proxy:<Not set>
Port:<Not set>
Username:<Not set>
Password:<Not set>
Server:<Not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:<Not set>
APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri

Upvote 0
I know, was wondering if Handcent or GoSms would help or further complicate things.

I already suggested QuickPic as well, as it seems to handle pics pretty well.

I am not sure what photo editing app we have been talking about either. :)

This user manual has a lot of stuff in it, this is a pretty interesting phone!

I saw how you can boot in to recovery and do a factory reset or just clear caches. It says doing factory reset will not erase photos or videos on phone too, if you can trust it. I think clearing the caches might be a good idea.

I think I saw where you can have photos saved on sd card too.

The question of the data connection still bothers me. Apparently now it is turned on, but can the phone browse the internet with out a wifi connection? Could you try that and let us know? Not Facebook, some other site, please.

I see the option to do a live chat with Samsung here, Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I577 | Samsung Cell Phones

But it sounds like that experience wasn't too pleasant earlier. Kind of waiting to see what happens when daughter calls for help. :)

Reactions: Mikestony and jmar
Upvote 0
Just another thought and maybe I missed it...but would downloading another messaging app such as GoSMS help in troubleshooting this whole mms/picture sending issue?

Third party messaging apps only piggy back on the stock one. If what Shotgun says is true, I doubt this will help (same with dialers, email apps, browsers, etc).

Reactions: dustwun77 and jmar
Upvote 0
I'm back... even though ATT told my daughter yesterday that I was all set up and it was my phone settings that were wrong, today she called them again and got someone else (and I had told her what I learned here). She was at her house on chat with ATT, talking to me on Yahoo IM... I was on my computer, doing things to my phone (at one time this would be part of a Sci Fi movie LOL)
Had me check settings, turn it off, take it apart, get numbers from under the battery (IMEI or whatever) managed to do this. Turned out they still had the numbers down for my Rugby 2 flip phone I'm not longer using... that sounded hopeful. Put it back together again, then they wanted the number off the SIM card (I'd have to take it apart again, get the card out, find a magnifying glass for the microscopic print) but, I remembered the card that came with it in the box, the SIM card had been on, and someone had popped out, put in the phone (before shipping) and the number was on that.
Checking the settings (and first thing they did was said turn off the WiFi like some here said). Finally got it set up so it worked, had it all back on with WiFi and it now sends pictures (slowly, but maybe that's normal and I don't plan to use it much)
The person relayed to me that I should turn off my WiFi when I want to send a picture because my WiFi is stronger than the ATT signal (which now says 4G on it and 3 bars) and gets in the way. But, I had already sent a picture with WiFi and Packet Data (which was supposed to be on but hadn't been at the start).
I probably won't be using it to send pictures too often, I have cameras and a computer, but it's good to have, and if I'm ever out somewhere else it would send without my WiFi anyway. But it wasn't set up right for this phone before. (note to people findning this with the same problem, make sure ATT checks and doesn't just say "you're all set, it must be your settings in the phone")
Problems with computerized stuff are frustrating but in a way it feels good when they are resolved. and it's like a crash course in learning things.
I have a better idea where things are on/in the phone now, but still can't always find or get things to work just by swiping or tapping everywhere on the screen to see if something opens (then forgetting what I did)
My daughter send me a picture in a text to test. It said "download" and I clicked it, it said "downloading" for awhile, stopped I clicked it again, the picture finally openned. So, I have a picture in the text thread now, if I tape it, it opens up big, how do I save it? tap it, it opens up, on the screen with + - to show the size. click on the menu on the bottom left and nothing happens. click back (to the text) press on the picture IN the text thread get Message options, delete, lock, forward, etc no save. Can resize it with my fingers (have seen people do this) Turn the phone it goes sideways. How do I save a picure I got in text? I should probably ask one thing at a time, as I come to it.

Upvote 0
First of all, so glad that your issue I solved! Can't believe that AT&T botched this...Oh, wait, I can!

To save a pic, tap and hold down until a menu pops up. One option should be save it. Save it. Then open up the Gallery app. From there, you can select the photo. Then using two fingers, pinch in and out to zoom in and out. Depending on the version of Android you are on, you'll have some variety of options to customize the photo.

Hope you stick around here!

Congrats,

jmar

Upvote 0
So you thought you were in a sci fi movie with all of the fancy communications going on, huh? :)

We are glad you have your phone fixed now! Feel free to ask other questions you may have. :) PM one of us if we don't see it.

Feel free to share what you learn about your phone too, you never know when you might be able to help someone! :)

Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Thanks! I think one lesson is, just because ATT says it's all set and it's my settings that aren't working, that doesn't always mean it's true.
I'll fool around with the pictures, but I also can't figure out how to make a folder for them (but I haven't tried what you said yet, maybe that will have options). I can also plug it in the computer USB and bring them up and save them That seemed to work okay when I tried it.
I put the micro mini SD card from my other phone into this one, but I don't see anything about moving things onto it. Maybe it's just a backup so if I use too much of what's on the phone?
I also have to go over apps and see what's useful. How do I get the app shortcuts all on the same page? Now I'm pushing all the screens, to find one I want (like settings or camera) and if I hold it down it sets by itself on a screen, but not all on one screen. Sometimes I think it's hard to answer my questions because I'm not sure what I'm asking. (I remember that from when I was learning to make webpages, I'd ask people like "where is page 2?")

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Thanks! I think one lesson is, just because ATT says it's all set and it's my settings that aren't working, that doesn't always mean it's true.
I'll fool around with the pictures, but I also can't figure out how to make a folder for them (but I haven't tried what you said yet, maybe that will have options). I can also plug it in the computer USB and bring them up and save them That seemed to work okay when I tried it.
I put the micro mini SD card from my other phone into this one, but I don't see anything about moving things onto it. Maybe it's just a backup so if I use too much of what's on the phone?
I also have to go over apps and see what's useful. How do I get the app shortcuts all on the same page? Now I'm pushing all the screens, to find one I want (like settings or camera) and if I hold it down it sets by itself on a screen, but not all on one screen. Sometimes I think it's hard to answer my questions because I'm not sure what I'm asking. (I remember that from when I was learning to make webpages, I'd ask people like "where is page 2?")

Are you trying to create a folder in your gallery? (where you are viewing the pix) and are you using the QuickPic gallery app or the stock gallery app?
You should be able to hit the menu button whilst in the gallery app to create a new folder.

To view your sd card contents, you will need a file browser. A file browser is an app, that once opened will allow you to view your sd card contents. Some phones come with a file browser. Some file browsers have different names such as "My Files". Other file browsers in the PlayStore are named "Astro file manager" or "root explorer" or "ES File Manager" etc.

You may not be able to put all your app shortcuts on one home screen..there just isn't enough room. But to add a shortcut for an app to the home screen:
Adding a shortcut from the Applications Menu
1. Press to activate the Home screen.
2. Navigate to the desired Home Page.
3. Tap to display your current applications.
4. Scroll through the list and locate your desired application.
5. Touch and hold the on-screen icon. This creates an
immediate shortcut of the selected icon and closes the
Applications tab. The new shortcut then appears to hover
over the Home screen.
6. While still holding the on-screen icon, position it on the
current page. Once complete, release the screen to lock
the new shortcut into its new position on the current
screen

or:
Adding a shortcut via the Add to Home screen
1. Press to activate the Home screen.
2. Touch and hold on an empty area of the Home screen.
3. From the Add to Home window, tap Shortcuts.
4. Tap a shortcut from the available list.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the new shortcut
to your current Home screen.

Hope that helps a little:D

Edit...the quotes are from page 29 of this manual that dustwun linked:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...577_Exhilarate_English_User_Manual_LB8_F4.pdf

Upvote 0
Good morning all... actually Sunny is one of my dog's, I woudl try putting SunnyDay in for a name and people already had it. No one seems to have SunnyDOG day LOL
Another day... I feel I am sort of getting a handle on this, and just keep trying things and sometimes it works (then I forget what I did)
Jotting things down... trying to keep it simple
I am familiar with computers, using Office (Word) and Photoshop, etc. not sure if that helps with this.
Say I want to save a text conversation (for whatever reason) I can press on it (person's name, not open showing texts) and give "view contact" and "delete thread"
I want to do what in office, etc would be "select all" and save or copy/paste (I found the app that as quickWord with it) I can open the conversation and see all the texts, but when I press and get copy, then go to word and paste it only does the one text, near where I pressed, not all. It also has a forward option, but looks like only for the one text (out of more). I've had people send me (email) from texts that show the whole thread. The ability to select all would be good for this? (on the computer you can ctrl+A)
Also, still can't figure out how to save a picture that was sent to me in a text (I've tried pressing it, small in the text, or open) in the text it says (when pressed) delete message, copy message text, lock message, attackitems, forward, view message details) when openned big (first it had a little padlock up top but one option in menu was "unlock picture") when I tap it, a control comes up on the bottom like for a video with PLAY, etc though it's a still picture.
found one option (with picture open) copy text. Did that, when to quickword, maybe new document to past it? (see it said SD card on this, with folders to use on it, that are empty... that might be a clue as to finding/saving on SD card. My old phone had that open easily available.)
made new document and paste and all that had copy/pasted was the words that were written along with the picture. Saving a picture via Word didn't seem the way to go, anyway.
Ok... how to save a picture that's in a text.
How to save it on SD card. I see the docments in Word has "save as" and lists the SD card) Pictures, are still confusing me.
How to save an entire conversation in a text.
How to make the camera settings do something? I can getthem on the page, with the camera open (and get them on the page with the photo editor on, set on Camera) but when I tap them they don't seem to do anything.
--------------------------------
Shortcuts on one page, I figured out to press to save a shortcut, but it comes on it's own page, If I save 3 of them, they are each on a separate page (to scroll through on the home page, after). I don't want a lot on a page, just ones I might use more, like camera, settings, gallary, not a lot. having them all mixed in with others, or all on separate (clear) pages to scroll and find doesn't seem too efficient.
I see My Files app which has some of the pictures in it (I've been taking some for tests) but not all. Maybe when I take a picture a certain way it auto saved it in my files and I don't need to? Then I'd change it to save as, and the SD card?
(I will probably just plug it in my computer and take off any pictures I might take with it, but still good to know)
Zedge... seems to be ringtones and games (my grandson put a ringtone in for me when I first got it and used Zedge) I can finally get Angry Birds I've heard so much about? All I can find it Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds with Friends
I hope this isn't too confusing,maybe someone can see something in it they know about and steer me in the right direction. I have a feeling I am making this more complicated than it really is.

Upvote 0
Alright, let's try to take this in bite sized chunks. :D

"Say I want to save a text conversation (for whatever reason) I can press on it (person's name, not open showing texts) and give "view contact" and "delete thread"
I want to do what in office, etc would be "select all" and save or copy/paste (I found the app that as quickWord with it) I can open the conversation and see all the texts, but when I press and get copy, then go to word and paste it only does the one text, near where I pressed, not all. It also has a forward option, but looks like only for the one text (out of more). I've had people send me (email) from texts that show the whole thread. The ability to select all would be good for this? (on the computer you can ctrl+A)
"

One thing is that we all seem to have various flavors of this thing we call Android, so I am not certain if what I see in the stock app is what you see. And yes, by stock I mean, what comes with the phone. :)

If I long press on a text conversation in the list of conversations, I get View, Delete, Reply, Forward, Share, Call, Open contact, Save as task, Move to secure box or Block contact.

If I hit Share, I get a number of options, one of which is mail, one is Gmail, and many others. :) I can gmail myself or whoever, the whole conversation.

If I open up a text response, in messaging, by long pressing it, I get little pointers that let me highlight what I want to save or I can 'select all' and copy and share via.

There is a difference between 'tapping' an item and 'long pressing' it.
Some things you select, you might find more options if you then click upon Menu or the 3 dots.

Reactions: GuitarG20 and jmar
Upvote 0
"Also, still can't figure out how to save a picture that was sent to me in a text (I've tried pressing it, small in the text, or open) in the text it says (when pressed) delete message, copy message text, lock message, attackitems, forward, view message details) when openned big (first it had a little padlock up top but one option in menu was "unlock picture") when I tap it, a control comes up on the bottom like for a video with PLAY, etc though it's a still picture."

When I see a pic in a text, if I 'long press' hold my thumb on it momentarily, I get 2 options, Save an View.

If i click on Save, it tells me 'Attachment was saved sucessfully'. Then, if I use my QuickPic app, I see it saved in Downloads.

If I click on view, it gives me a list of apps to view it with and asks me, basically, if I want to make one of the apps default for this action. If I choose an app, just once, it fires up and does it's thing. :)

Upvote 0
"How to make the camera settings do something? I can getthem on the page, with the camera open (and get them on the page with the photo editor on, set on Camera) but when I tap them they don't seem to do anything."

Regarding the Camera, have you seen this link? http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...577_Exhilarate_English_User_Manual_LB8_F4.pdf

It opens up a .pdf that contains pretty good directions for your phone! :)

Starting on page 79 of the pdf, or page 74 as listed in the book, it explains about your camera and go on a few pages, it tells you what the various settings are for and how to change them.

Upvote 0
"Shortcuts on one page, I figured out to press to save a shortcut, but it comes on it's own page, If I save 3 of them, they are each on a separate page (to scroll through on the home page, after). I don't want a lot on a page, just ones I might use more, like camera, settings, gallary, not a lot. having them all mixed in with others, or all on separate (clear) pages to scroll and find doesn't seem too efficient."

Mikestony put up what the documentation says about putting apps on your screens. And there are Widgets and Apps and Shortcuts you can put on the screens.

How many screens do you have when you scroll left and right? I like to find one in the 'center' and put my desired apps on it. I actually have a pretty standard way i set my stuff up so that I know where stuff is when I want it.

Now, the various flavors of Android do this differently. It would be nice if someone who has this phone here would chime in! (hint! :) )

Theoretically, you are supposed to be able either long press and empty spot on your screen and have the app drawer open up, or choice of one of those 3 things i mentioned, find the app you want and tap it, and it shows up on your screen where you started. You should be able to do this repeatedly and fill up that screen with your choices.

Alternately, you should be able to go to where the apps are located, commonly called the 'app drawer' and, coming from the screen you want it to end up upon, now find and long press that app and it should show up on that screen..

Like I say though, there are a lot of variations on this. Mine, I hit Personalize, choose the Homescreen option and all my screens show up small on top and I can choose to work with Widgets, Apps or Shortcuts and I can wholesale just start dragging these things to the screen I want them on. But, perhaps you get the idea? :)

Upvote 0
I didn't mean I minded being called by my dog's name, she's a good dog and I like the name LOL
Thanks for all the leads, I think I have enough to go on for now. If I go in circles enough sometimes I hit on something, and sometimes I remember it.
I was going over the apps, and remembered I'd heard about the game Angry Birds people were talking about a lot awhile ago. I looked it up to see what it is, but it wanted permission to access my info, phone numbers, monitor my phone calls, and all sort so other things. I asked about this elsewhere, but still don't understand it, and why it need so monitor my phone calls (and who I call) and other things, to plan a game. (I decided not to do it) Just saying it's still kind of confusing. I'm sure it won't be forever. I'm on day 5 now I think (my son just got a smart phone, after having a basic flip phone and he's going through what I did on the first few days LOL)

Upvote 0
I didn't think you really minded, I was just teasing. :)

It is responsible to consider all of this permission stuff. And I would definitely be careful where I got my apps and games from. The Playstore being what i would consider a fairly safe place.

Monitoring phone calls? To me, that probably means that the game wants to be able to tell when you get a phone call so it can quit and put itself in standby, or whatever, until you are through.

If 'someone' really wants to 'figure me out' or spy on me electronically, or through my online activity, I don't think I am smart enough or have enough energy to stop them, so i just don't worry about it. FWIW. :)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones