• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Read text with TTS

aozolins

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
I have progressing visual impairment and need a way to get the text that I encounter on my phone/tablet read to my by text-to-speech. I can see well enough to navigate the screens, select messages, etc. I only need the help when I get to blocks of text -- mostly just in email or web pages. I would like to be able to tap in a paragraph (or use some other cue) and have the TTS respond. It would be great if I could also have the options that the fully-eyes-free interfaces provide, like "read by word"/"read by sentence"/"read by letter." But, I'd just settle if I could have the ability to start the thing reading a block and stop it when it's finished or when I've heard enough.

I don't know of any app that will do this. I have searched and tried various things. I can not use the accessibility package that comes with Android that vocalizes everything on the screen. I don't need it and it is inconvenient and inappropriate in many contexts. I have only the very narrow need for TTS on demand.

If you believe an app can do that, please try it out and then let me know how to duplicate the success. I have downloaded gobs of apps that I've had to uninstall because they either didn't work or I couldn't figure out how to make them work. My reading stamina is limited and so is, I guess, my tech savvy.

I wouldn't mind in the least paying for such a thing -- I'd be happy to. But I need it to work without wading through knowledgebases and scattered documentation to implement it.

TIA for any and all help or hints.

Andrejs

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones