• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [READ THIS] Battery dying faster than you want?

Ære

Android Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2011
www.thorgon.com
I know there are a few threads on this topic but I want one that hopefully will give a better understanding to new Android device users and to us veterians. :) (especially Mid-High End Android devices, especially that supports 4G LTE).

Now I know this will be or sound like repeated info but it's always good to recap stuff we might have forgotten about and to some, it might be new information.

Ok, you either just purchased your new Esteem or you've rooted/moded/themed/rom'd it up and are having battery issues.

Here are a few reason:

-:-
If you use the phone a lot. There's your number one battery killer, you, the user. :D
(when a manufactor states battery time frame it's based on low usage, so they can up their numbers - not a heavy user like 95% of smart phone users - They'll label it as 'Standard').

-:-
If you're a multi-tasker and switch between apps daily, you will need to shut down any applications that are running in the background (if you hit the 'home' key thinking it 'closes' apps, 90% of the time it does NOT. Now, if you use the 'return' (arrow) key to exit out of an app, 90% of the time most apps will fully close out.

Built into the Esteem you have an app that lets you view and manage your apps. (no need for a third party app, they actually cause more issues and battery drains; e.g. Advance task killer, automatic task killer, etc - no need on the later versions of android OS's). The app on the Esteem is called "Application Manager". Which will allow you to view, stop or stop all running applications. Now keep in mind, that some apps will have running process that will run in the background, no matter how many "app killers apps" you use to stop it or 'shut it down' and if the app says it does; there are several apps that will restart it's process after the app has shut it down. E.g. Facebook, Twitter. The only way to truly stop the process is to uninstall the app or using an app that freezes the application. (but that can be a lot of work to stop an app and unfreeze it to use the app again). I know this is silly and I'm sure most know of this app, but I'm cover all bases. lol

Now the advanced way to manage your phones battery life.

Get an extended battery. Well worth every penny spent!!

If you're not a root user: you will need to make sure all extra power controls are turned off if you're not using them. E.g. bluetooth, wifi, gps - also you can even turn off 4G data to save more batter but keep in mind any apps pushing data, it will not if 4G is off. Follow the above info about managing apps. And again, if you're a heavy user, your phone will die fast - end of story; If you text a lot, FB alot, etc; Not only using data drains app but your LCD screen will eat up most of your battery. Using Widgets will also eat some battery up if you have several running VS one or two. Another setting to turn off, if you don't need it is; Auto Sync/push notifications or if you need that feature active is to minimize the refresh cycles to 2-4hrs+. If you need constant up-to-date push notification, say for; email, fb, or twitter, then leave this on.

If you're a rooted user: follow the same steps as above. Another approach is to download cpu control apps. The best one imo is SetCPU. Worth every penny. $1.99

SetCPU allows you to control your cpu speed and change the gov's. It also has a great feature/setting called "Profiles".

-Enable profiles
-Add profile
-here are the diferent types of profiles you can set.
-Charging, Charging AC, Charging USB, Screen Off, Battery , Time, In call.

I use two: Charging and Screen Off:

-My CPU settings are:

Charging: Min: 245 | Max: 460 Priority 100

Screen Off: Min: 245 | Max: 368 Priority 90

I've been testing and building data for some time on the LG Esteem stock battery and the LG Esteem extended battery.

I've collect and tested five different methods.

1. No usage (stand by)
2. Light usage
3. Average usage
4. Heavy usage
5. Movie mode

1. No usuage [stand by] (stock battery) - Turned off network data and all power settings (gps, bt, wifi). Also, Auto sync. I put the phone into to airplane mode and just let the phone sit from a full charge to a depleted charge. That phone lasted almost 1 week (7days-10days) before it shut off. That's amazing!

(extened battery) - a little over two weeks (18days)

2. Light usage (stock battery) - Turned power settings off and auto sync but left 4G enabled. Sent a few text's, made a few calls lasting about 3mins each, download a song, watched a youtube video which was about 5mins long. I preformed this daily. The battery lasted about 15hours

(extended battery) - about 32 hours.

3. Average usage (stock battery) - sent several texts ever other hour or so, a few mms, web browsed for about 30mins, watched 10-15mins of youtube, downloaded a few apps, made a few calls lasting about 15mins each, played angry birds for about 20mins. The battery lasted about 9.5hours.

(extended battery) - about 27hours

4. Heavy usuage (stock battery) - Sent a heavy amount of sms and mms message, browsed the web for about 3hours, watched youtube for over an hour, download GSE rom about 10 times (lol big file to download over 4G good tester btw), made a few calls last about 45mins to 1.5hours each call, download apps, played shadowgun for over an 1hr, played angry birds for 1hr, played Fruit ninja for an hour. The battery lasted about 5.5hours

(extended battery) - about 21.5 hours.

5. Movie mode (stock battery) I played two movies battery was dead. (each movie was about 2 to 2hrs 20mins long.

(extended battery) about 4 movies - each the same time from 2 to 2hrs and 20mins.

/big sigh..lol

Ok I know this was a lot of info and very heavy on text but I hope someone got something out of this!

I think seeing these results will help user have a better understanding of how the phone eats up battery and better judge how we use our devices.

That way we're not haste to make a call on this 'devices' battery sucks.

Granted some batterys are defective but it's pretty rare.

Sorry for the long thread but I hope this helps at least one person.

Thanks.

Edit: In case anyone wants to know. I'm using idriftas rom version 1.3 and my main Max CPU setting is at 1.8GHz.

EDIT2: keep in mind. Not all phones are the same nor is the network coverage for all. If you have weaker signal, say 1 to 2 bars constant, your battery might drain more since your device is using more battery to pull the radio signal in. Whereas I usually have full bars or 3. That makes a difference as well.

OK. Because those are great results with extended battery life.

BTW how you manage your charging cycles ? When do you start charging the phone .?

I usually pull my charger off around 7am. I usually go to bed around 11:30pm - 1:30am with 25-40% remaining (those heavy days). Put it back on the charger. On light usage days, I won't put it on the charger till next day around noon (that's with the extended battery).

Upvote 0
My bad, poor reading comprehension!
Crazy that you get 4x as much usage out of the extended battery with heavy usage than the stock one.

It is nuts actually. But again it will vary. I listed what I did under heavy usage. Your heavy usage might be more intense or less. Its just a guide. And no worries..there's a lot of text. So it could easily be missed. ;) but the extended battery makes a huge dif

Upvote 0
Awesome thread, i wished my customers read this and didn't take it for granted an stop thinking the esteem battery is going to last them as long as it did on their old flip phone.

On your thread I would also talk about apps like home launchers, lock screens, call/sms blocking apps, antivirus, etc. This apps have to run all the time to do what you want them to do, thus draining the battery.
Perhaps a list of most common used apps known to potentially drain your battery

Upvote 0
Awesome thread, i wished my customers read this and didn't take it for granted an stop thinking the esteem battery is going to last them as long as it did on their old flip phone.

On your thread I would also talk about apps like home launchers, lock screens, call/sms blocking apps, antivirus, etc. This apps have to run all the time to do what you want them to do, thus draining the battery.
Perhaps a list of most common used apps known to potentially drain your battery

I most definitely will. It took me about a month to gather all the information to properly give a good understanding. Thanks for the tip. Ill work something else up ;)

That shouldn't take that long though lol

Thank you and Cheers! :)

Reactions: Jeyd02
Upvote 0
Appreciate the useful info.

I have a question regarding the Charging profile, if set to CHARGING, will that also work the same if the phone is charging using an AC/USB, or does a profile need to be made for each individual type of charge?

Thanks.

*EDIT: Never mind. I was able to figure it out. It does cover both AC and USB charging.

Sorry for late response. Glad youfigured it out! :)

Upvote 0
one more addition for root users, kernel(which you kinda went over when you described cpu settings..) and launcher!!! i know its somewhat common sense.. but the stock lg launcher and go launcher are huuuuge life killers, due to all the added features.. i know some people dont want to give up what they are used to, but i am a strong launcherpro fan and im tellin you, it's very light, simple and snappy with the right adjustments :D... just my 2 cents :D

sorry if someone already said this lol i didn't really read ALLLL the replies yet..

EDIT: crap!! just noticed cubandanger05 mentioned launchers lol

I'm new on this I got your GSE LDK-ICK ZVB v1.4 ICS Hybrid AND I LOVE IT... but I got a question.... I just download launcher pro, what I do with the stock lg launcher? is there a safe way of deleting it ? or what should I do so I don't have both launchers.... thankssss...... by the way if you ever need help with a theme let me know I'm a graphic designer... Magno Rodriguez || web design - graphics - illustrations - logos - animations that's my portfolio.... and THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING WORK!!!! :D

Upvote 0
I'm new on this I got your GSE LDK-ICK ZVB v1.4 ICS Hybrid AND I LOVE IT... but I got a question.... I just download launcher pro, what I do with the stock lg launcher? is there a safe way of deleting it ? or what should I do so I don't have both launchers.... thankssss...... by the way if you ever need help with a theme let me know I'm a graphic designer... Magno Rodriguez || web design - graphics - illustrations - logos - animations that's my portfolio.... and THANK YOU FOR YOUR AMAZING WORK!!!! :D
titanium backup from market, lets you uninstall system apk's make a backup first just incase, because i know with lghome it has its own version of widget picker so you may or may not need to do something with that lol pretty sure youll be ok but just incase

Reactions: Pacmanmode
Upvote 0
i also suggest using apps that you can schedule to turn off and on your data. i personally use juice defender:
-my screen goes out, data gets disable
-when i unlock my phone, data gets enabled

you dont know how much battery this can save you. plus you can choose to turn off data when a specific app is running. For example:
-while listening to music on the music player there is no need for 4g to be running (unless you're browsing the internet while listening to music), or games with built in ads.

Upvote 0

i would freeze it using titaniun backup like idrifta suggested. in addition to that id make launcher pro a system app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones