• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rebrand DHD Vodafone UK ROM or RUU

I think that, if you can put your phone in to fastboot mode, you should be able to just run the RUU direct from your computer.

I dont have Vodafone RUU, I tried another RUU for WWE version and replaced the rom.zip in the temp folder with the PD98IMG.ZIP after renaming it to rom.zip but I ended up with err155!

I haven't found a vodafone uk ruu although I searched the net for the last 3 days but had no success.

Do I need to relock the bootloader or flash the stock recovery prior to copying the PD98IMG.ZIP to sdcard?

Upvote 0
I thought someone had given you a Vodafone RUU... sorry!

You wouldn't rename it or anything, but choose fastboot from the menu when you turn the DHD on while holding the volume down button and then run the RUU from the computer.

When I get in from work, I will see if I can't find something that will help you out.

You are in the UK, aren't you? Just so I make sure that I get you the right thing (If I can find it).

Upvote 0
Right... I think I have found a Vodafone UK RUU... I am just trying to get it checked out with El Presidente.

Hi D-U-R-X,

Sorry, was away from my pc since last night...

I am not in UK, but the phone is Vodafone UK branded. I havent got any RUU for Vodafone UK but I will be glad if you can share such file with me since I have not been successful in getting any of the other RUU's or PD98IMG files to resolve my issue.

Would you please let me know if you can get uploaded some where so I can download it and try it?

Upvote 0
Thanks D-U-R-X for the PM and sorry to hear that it wasnt the vodafone RUU that you found. I am looking forward for any further updates from you.

Meanwhile, I just wanna explore any other alternatives. Has there been anybody who tried using a goldcard to flash stock RUU other than Vodafone one?

I am not sure what are the requirements except for having the goldcard. Would it be possible to do it with s-on and bootloader unlocked? Also, given that my hboot and radio are the latest ones would the RUU run without any hassle?

Appreciate the members kind contribution...

Upvote 0
Just to provide more info, I got the below details by running fastboot command getvar all. Hope it may help...

C:\windows\system32>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0029
INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.04.28_M
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: 0438
INFOversion-main: 3.13.0.0
INFOserialno: HT0C9RX00000
INFOimei: XXXXXXXXXX
INFOproduct: ace
INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
INFOmodelid: PD9810000
INFOcidnum: VODAP001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 4174mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: fcef1579
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
INFOregion-id: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.008s

Upvote 0
As I said in my PM, I will try again this evening when I get in from work to find an RUU for you.

If you wanted to create a goldcard, you would need to get the phone turned on and booted up fully.

As for the goldcard, I have another phone which I can plug the sdcard into and run the goldcard helper to get the reverse cid which I can then submit to the the goldcard site to download the card image. Is this right? I have read about this method somewhere else and just would like to confirm?

Upvote 0
Is it the same phone, branded on Vodafone UK? If so, then that does sound correct!

Nope, its a different phone SE Xperia Arc S. The goldcard doesnt have to be on the same phone as per my many readings on other sites. I can use even an SDCard reader (PCI) to format and read the CID then write the gold card image.

I have done it before with another card, it failed. I have tried another card an hour ago and it failed again. I get this quick message after the PD98IMG is loaded, wrong zip/image.

I tried to run a WWE RUU with the goldcard plugged into my DHD but got this error message version-main failed status malformed 1 bytes!!

Any idea what it might be?

Upvote 0
I had some progress, relocked the bootloader and copied the PD98IMG.ZIP to sdcard. The phone starts loading the PD98IMG and then running the check, it fails on some point which I think might be the PD98IMG I got is older than the software raido/hboot installed on my phone. Below are the details.

Checking PD98IMG.zip
Main version older!
update failed
Press <Power> to reboot

The PD98IMG.zip has an android-info.txt that contains the following:
modelid: PD9810000
cidnum: VODAP001
cidnum: VODAP102
cidnum: VODAP304
cidnum: VODAPE17
mainver: 2.50.161.3
hbootpreupdate:12

When powering the phone with vol-down I see the following info
***Relocked***
ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.00.0029
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.14.04.28_M
eMMC-boot
Dec 22 2011,14:28:19

I think I may need the latest PD98IMG.zip to reflash the phone back to Vodafone stock software, plz correct me if I am wrong?

The PD98IMG.zip which was provided (thankfully) by Andy seems to check the version of my phone's current state hboot/radio.

Is there any place where I can get the latest PD98IMG.zip even if I have to pay for it?

Upvote 0
Thanks D-U-R-X,

I came across the file you mentioned twice in my early search few days ago. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a valid download and its a year old..

Sorry for the delay! Have sent you a PM with the OTA vodafone rom. I'm sure someone here can tell you how to test/install it as its not a RUU but a OTA update.

Reactions: yabdali and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
First of all, thanks alot for the whole effort you put behind helping me. I was able to fix the issue but unfortunately with a custom rom.

The trick was to unlock the bootloader, flash CWM recovery and install a custom rom then get into fastboot usb mode and flash the boot.img that was part of that custom rom again. I got this advise from some member in another forum and thanfully it did the trick.

Again, many thanks for your endless support and help. Have a nice evening.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones