• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY] CWMT-6.0.3.6 for JB MD6/MI2

I have updated the recovery packages. I will not update these again unless there is compelling reason. I just wanted to give the files proper names and include the crash fix merged in the latest MiRaGe kernel. Cheers!

Wait..there's an update/fix to the recovery? Or just the kernel? Sorry for the 'noob-itis', I just wanna stay on top of the updated files...

Upvote 0
In other words, If you only update 1, you'll get some kind of error, incompatibility, or 'does not compute' seizure right?

No, the kernels in boot and recovery images can be different and they can be updated independently. I just wanted to include a fix in both since I thought the fix was important for stability. As I wrote above I will not update recovery without a good reason. So don't expect parallel updates with the boot image.

Upvote 0
This MiRaGe kernel is superior to the stock Samsung. My opinion is to flash it (if you haven't already); and to keep up with the updates as necessary. As for the recovery, I was already rooted and using the 6.0.2.3 recovery, but I went ahead and flashed the MiRaGe kernel. I first flashed the MiRaGe test 2, then the test 4, THEN the 6.0.3.6 recovery.
So I guess the short ver. of the answer is not actually necessary; but highly recommended (by this user, at least).

Upvote 0
This MiRaGe kernel is superior to the stock Samsung. My opinion is to flash it (if you haven't already); and to keep up with the updates as necessary. As for the recovery, I was already rooted and using the 6.0.2.3 recovery, but I went ahead and flashed the MiRaGe kernel. I first flashed the MiRaGe test 2, then the test 4, THEN the 6.0.3.6 recovery.
So I guess the short ver. of the answer is not actually necessary; but highly recommended (by this user, at least).

I am already rooted and I do intend to flash the MiRaGe; I'm just working out what I need to do first. I saw that a certain type of recovery was recommended for flashing it, and I'm just making sure that this is that recovery and not just "If you're not already rooted, do this first." :)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am already rooted and I do intend to flash the MiRaGe; I'm just working out what I need to do first. I saw that a certain type of recovery was recommended for flashing it, and I'm just making sure that this is that recovery and not just "If you're not already rooted, do this first." :)

Thanks.

You've got CWM test 8, right, and not the stock recovery? Test 8 will work fine for flashing this, the special recovery is for folks who had a JBOOB Reverb that couldn't be rooted until yesterday.

Upvote 0
Yes, I rooted my OTA JB following this walkthrough.

So you're saying I'm good to go for flashing MiRaGe?

Thanks!

Yep..Here's the way I went about it...
Downloaded the .zip kernel with my phone, straight to the extsd card's root; I don't transfer 'mission critical' files thru Windows anymore. And then it's just a simple reboot into recovery, and flash...couldn't be easier!!

Reactions: shyFluttershy
Upvote 0
And now for the part I can never remember: Booting into recovery vs. booting into download. Which one is power+vol.up and which one is power+vol.dn?

Use power menu it is very convenient for booting to recovery from Android.

Also I recommend using the CWMT recovery here. Touch interface is also more convenient than the volume rocker. This recovery works on all Reverbs with JB.

Reactions: aiwass13
Upvote 0
Use power menu it is very convenient for booting to recovery from Android.

Also I recommend using the CWMT recovery here. Touch interface is also more convenient than the volume rocker. This recovery works on all Reverbs with JB.

So, before I flash the MiRaGe kernel, I should flash the CWMT-6.0.3.6 in your OP? And before I do that, I should install Power Menu?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter which one you flash first but I recommend booting once before flashing the next.

Download both recovery and kernel.
Install power menu.
Use power menu and use it to boot into recovery.
Flash recovery and reboot
Either user power-volup to catch recovery or user power menu again to reboot into recovery
Flash kernel and reboot

You can practically flash recovery and kernel while you are in recovery at once. But avoid doing that as a principle since you need either recovery or boot image functional in case one of them gets damage. So never flash one before making sure the other is functional.

Upvote 0
So, before I flash the MiRaGe kernel, I should flash the CWMT-6.0.3.6 in your OP? And before I do that, I should install Power Menu?

Thanks.

You don't have to flash cwmt in this post, since your phone is pre JBOOB. Just the kernel.
Get into recovery with power+volume up.
He's just saying that app makes it easier to boot into recovery, but it isn't required.

Reactions: shyFluttershy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones