• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

How much bigger is it than the Fascinate?

Do you have to bump charge it? Hows the gps?

Im tempted but worried about battery and other stuff. Been burned twice now with early bird purchases :-(

I'd say ti's about the same size but thicker . GPS works great . I don't know about bump charging because I charge my batteries on an external charger .

I'm very very happy with this phone . It exceeded my expectations

Upvote 0
How much bigger is it than the Fascinate?

Do you have to bump charge it? Hows the gps?

Im tempted but worried about battery and other stuff. Been burned twice now with early bird purchases :-(

Phone is fantastic! Feels so much more solid than the fascinate (I guess that could be a negative to some...cause it's thicker and heavier...but nice to hold).

But it's a new phone...new 4G network...and doesn't come with the biggest battery in the world. I'd say give it a few days and you'll be able to get a good feel for it from the comments here (too early to draw many conclusions).

But definitely a fast device! :D

Reactions: dbgoolsby
Upvote 0
This is my first android phone so I might be relying on some of you guys when it comes to rooting. Of course I don't think rooting itself will be a problem for me, but just as far as what to do with a rooted phone since I'm still getting familiar with Android and finding out the limitations. I know I already plan on getting rid of the bloatware and unlocking tethering, and possibly overclocking the processor and whatnot. But when it comes to custom ROMs and the related, I'll probably be asking what the advantages are, just for knowledge sake. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I don't mind thicker devices and don't understand the obsession with thinness. It impacts ergonomics negatively at some point.

Ill have to go play with the TB right now. Wish someone would buy my damn phone though :-(

Don't we all...don't we all! :D

It's the best Android device I have ever touched (but I think we all thought it would be). Every phone has it's drawbacks. This one is going to be like the EVO and the DInc...battery life! You just gotta figure out how important that is to you.

I must be boring...cause I'm always near a charger :D I should be hiking or climing a mountain...no, I'm typing on my laptop...lol

Upvote 0
This is my first android phone so I might be relying on some of you guys when it comes to rooting. Of course I don't think rooting itself will be a problem for me, but just as far as what to do with a rooted phone since I'm still getting familiar with Android and finding out the limitations. I know I already plan on getting rid of the bloatware and unlocking tethering, and possibly overclocking the processor and whatnot. But when it comes to custom ROMs and the related, I'll probably be asking what the advantages are, just for knowledge sake. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Android, compadre! :) :)

I highly recommend this post to all new rooters, it's really Android generic and the best I've seen. Even a lot of old-time rooters come away learning what they only thought they knew - a great one to bookmark!

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

Also - bookmark that XDA wiki link in my earlier post, this page - and then look for developments in the Thunderbolt's All Things Root sub-forum, link above this forums main thread listing.

Every rooter was a root newcomer once, and every one of us remembers our first Android, so don't hold back on the questions, people are always totally happy to expand the club!!! ;)

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android, compadre! :) :)

I highly recommend this post to all new rooters, it's really Android generic and the best I've seen. Even a lot of old-time rooters come away learning what they only thought they knew - a great one to bookmark!

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

Also - bookmark that XDA wiki link in my earlier post, this page - and then look for developments in the Thunderbolt's All Things Root sub-forum, link above this forums main thread listing.

Every rooter was a root newcomer once, and every one of us remembers our first Android, so don't hold back on the questions, people are always totally happy to expand the club!!! ;)

Oops...I have been telling people to "look away...nothing to see here" when it comes to rooting! I thought it was an exclusive thing??? :D

Upvote 0
Oops...I have been telling people to "look away...nothing to see here" when it comes to rooting! I thought it was an exclusive thing??? :D

Don't get me wrong, a ton of my friends and coworkers have Android phones so I know all about rooting. ;) But really, I'm just interested in knowing what all extra you can do with a rooted phone besides the basics I already listed. :)

Upvote 0
Oh, also got about 10-11 hours on my first full charge. Checked out the statistics and 50% of it was display and 30% went to... GPS???!! I used it for the first time on my way to my friend's place and I do admit it had to recalculate a lot since I went a route Google maps didn't want me to. But 30% of the charge? Does GPS include any app that uses the GPS (weather, etc.)? At any rate my normal phone usage didn't seem to suck up much juice. I'm pretty satisfied so far as I know I will get more efficient.

Upvote 0
Oh, also got about 10-11 hours on my first full charge. Checked out the statistics and 50% of it was display and 30% went to... GPS???!! I used it for the first time on my way to my friend's place and I do admit it had to recalculate a lot since I went a route Google maps didn't want me to. But 30% of the charge? Does GPS include any app that uses the GPS (weather, etc.)? At any rate my normal phone usage didn't seem to suck up much juice. I'm pretty satisfied so far as I know I will get more efficient.

Think about it like this. The 4G on/off toggle that people are talking about...I'm willing to bet that you will see that in a custom ROM long before HTC provides that update. A developer just sent me a message that he's got root as I was typing this. ;)

If you want to know what rooting and ROMing can do...look at the stock features of the Motorola Droid. Then go look at the root threads over there. The Droid is pimped out with Gingerbread and more features than most phones releasing today.

Reactions: MIAtrix
Upvote 0
Still can't believe they put the power plug on the side that's down in landscape kickstand mode.

The screen is nicer than the Fascinate I think. Looks sharper.

Hows everyone's call quality?

The screen is nice, better than I thought. Looking at some of the reviews online pre-release, I was a little concerned because it didn't real sharp on video. Looks much better in person. Still don't think it's better than the Fascinate's screen, but I don't think it's very far behind.

Call quality has been good thus far. Clear sound and no echos that I have experienced. Haven't actually tried out the speaker phone yet (just now realizing that LOL).

Upvote 0
So...I'm on a family plan and upgraded my phone back in September.

Last time I switched from individual to family plan (I did not have an upgrade on my individual line left) I was offered a discount on a new phone, because "signed" a new contract (the switch to the family plan).

Q: Can I switch back to an individual plan, get a discount on the TB (individual plan = new contract), then switch back to the family plan in a month?

Upvote 0
Meaning, if I switch back to an individual plan, I wont get another upgrade?

Because its a new contract ...
Who's name is the contract under? By changing/switching the name that the contract is under (Assumption of liability) Your contract end date on lines over one year will revert to one year and lines under 1 year will remain the same.Won't help now but it will in one year..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones