• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

The firmware update is ready and will start pushing Monday the 28th. The phone I got to play with yesterday already has the new firmware via manual install. All good!

i mean no disrespect but your comment above and below:

They just tell me they have no idea, can I help you with anything else?
If I don't see this soon I'll just go back to the Inc. I love HTC Phones, and would rather Have 4G but the Inc. would be my...

would seem to contradict themselves.

Upvote 0
The firmware update is ready and will start pushing Monday the 28th. The phone I got to play with yesterday already has the new firmware via manual install. All good!

Its could be like when the myTouch 4G launched with tmobile. After making your first phone call within 2 hours you would be prompted with an ota to fix some minor issues that were reported with the software preloaded in the already packaged devices... Just a thought...

Upvote 0
Well, I may get flack for this post, especially in an Android forum - but where better to get valuable feedback than from people with actual experience...

I am still leaning towards Tbolt but I also still have concerns. Never having used Android, I am still a bit concerned about privacy while pushing so much thru the Google server. I have found some self-sync options to reduce that but still find the overall process invasive. I still think the benefits outweigh but also still not comfortable with it all. But, at the same time, the phone and features are unmatched.

My other concern is the growing frequency of warnings about malware targeting Android OS. It was in the Network News just a week or so ago warning of the increased focus on Android malware and the growing risks. They warned about using credit cards and and banking via phones. And, I saw this posted today too: "Android Spyware Distributed By Third Party Online Marketplaces"

Android Spyware Distributed By Third Party Online Marketplaces -- InformationWeek

And, From this NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/technology/personaltech/24basics.html?_r=1&src=busln:
Some experts believe that Android will become a top target for malware because anyone can create and distribute an app anywhere on the Web. Google does not check apps for security issues but has instead imposed technical hurdles to thwart malicious activity. For instance, apps run in a “sandbox,” a closed environment where they cannot affect one another or manipulate device features without user permission. Google removes from its official Android Market any apps that break its rules against malicious activity.

Ten attacks have been directed at Android users, including a malicious program called Geinimi that appeared in third-party Android app markets in China in December. This addition to legitimate applications, primarily games, allowed hackers to manipulate text messages, steal contact lists, place calls, visit Web sites and quietly download files.

And, I just searched "Android Malware" and: android malware - Yahoo! News Search Results

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, I may get flack for this post, especially in an Android forum - but where better to get valuable feedback than from people with actual experience...

I am still leaning towards Tbolt but I also still have concerns. Never having used Android, I am still a bit concerned about privacy while pushing so much thru the Google server. I have found some self-sync options to reduce that but still find the overall process invasive. I still think the benefits outweigh but also still not comfortable with it all. But, at the same time, the phone and features are unmatched.

My other concern is the growing frequency of warnings about malware targeting Android OS. It was in the Network News just a week or so ago warning of the increased focus on Android malware and the growing risks. They warned about using credit cards and and banking via phones. And, I saw this posted today too: "Android Spyware Distributed By Third Party Online Marketplaces"

Android Spyware Distributed By Third Party Online Marketplaces -- InformationWeek

And, From this NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/technology/personaltech/24basics.html?_r=1&src=busln:

And, I just searched "Android Malware" and: android malware - Yahoo! News Search Results

I really don't think Malware, Spyware, whatever is an issue. If you're really worried, there are free Antivirus apps on the market, stick to downloading from the official market that comes with the phone, and don't ever install custom roms or root.

But in all seriousness.... just don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
God I hate Best Buy. I called and talked to someone who said there was a live unit one of the mobile guys has to play with. He said there were boxes in the back if units for sale.

I drive over and the mobile guys look at me like discovered some buried treasure. They denied having a unit and couldn't keep a straight face.

I went to another sales person who said they had the Xoom on display. I go to the computers area and they say they don't have a live unit. I find the display where it was supposed to be and it looked like someone had taken it out. The cable was still there.

Why can't these idiots be on the same page as each other? Im almost positive whoever picks up the phone just says yes to every inquiry just to get another body to enter the store.

Upvote 0
(Snip)

... and don't ever install custom roms or root.

But in all seriousness.... just don't worry about it.

What?? But rooting and custom roms and themes is the REASON for having any Droid phone. Otherwise, you're stuck with a diet of whatever the phone manufacturer (HTC) and service provider (Verizon) feel like feeding you. You're like the dog that gets pitched scraps from the table. Rooting and custom roms is the *only* way to go. It represents FREEDOM. :):)

-Mike

Upvote 0
You guys can talk crap about Apple all you want, but you can't deny that, when it comes to product launches, they know how to deliver. I'm sure they've had delays but they are on point when it comes to announcements, launches, delivery.

Other manufacturers need to get their shit together.

Oh, and I hate Best Buy. Did I say that already? Bunch of kiddies running around wearing a tie for the first time, thinking they're "sales" people. Right.

Upvote 0
If this is already common knowledge forgive me, I'm on my iPod since my laptop is outta comission at the moment. I went the the HTC mobile site (?) and the ThunderBolt was listed as one of their products, naturally. But there were links to features and such and a link to buy which led to a store locator on VZW.

Found it interesting, sorry if it's been mentioned before, my iPod was giving me trouble when I tried to search.

Upvote 0
If this is already common knowledge forgive me, I'm on my iPod since my laptop is outta comission at the moment. I went the the HTC mobile site (?) and the ThunderBolt was listed as one of their products, naturally. But there were links to features and such and a link to buy which led to a store locator on VZW.

Found it interesting, sorry if it's been mentioned before, my iPod was giving me trouble when I tried to search.

You're not supposed to be able to buy it from HTC. Your finding has already been mentioned.

There's also a "loophole" where people have tried to select another product and right before check out they have replaced the product id in the URL with the one for the Thunderbolt. I doubt that will legally obligate HTC to ship the phone but the might and Verizon could simply refuse to activate it until official release.

Then again im wondering how the online activation system would know if you try to do it yourself. Hmm.

I saw the case foe it and the phone is Noticeably wider than my Fascinate :-(

Upvote 0
You're not supposed to be able to buy it from HTC. Your finding has already been mentioned.

Yeah, it wouldn't let you purchase through HTC, instead the link said "Where to buy" and directed to a VZW store locator.

HTC

But looks like someone already beat me to this one.

This phone is driving me crazy and it isn't even out yet lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones