• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

I'm so confused now. Iv been waiting for this phone to come out before CES and now im really confused on what to wait for or purchase! "LTE isnt for everyone?". Well its definitly not for me because I dont even get the service where I am at. I just wanted the next best thing android had/vzw. Now I am scratching my head wondering if I should get the TB, i4 or wait untill i5 or the next gen 3g's come out!

This sux.

Upvote 0
I'd wait until the iPhone 5 has been out for two months to assess people's comments on it, then compare to the best performing, most hackable Android phone available.

I don't understand why people keep talking about iPhone like that's a viable alternative. Regardless of what hardware gets packed into iPhone 5, it's still running iOS. For the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would want to deal with iOS after getting a taste of Android.

Upvote 0
@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
NOTE: I never said that the Bolt was delayed due to the network not being ready.. LTE network is fine n waiting for the device..
19 minutes ago via web Favorite Reply

oldskoolstyle Jim Anusevitch
@
@black_man_x but now both are on the same page and playing nice with each other?
15 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
@oldskoolstyle like two kids playing in a sandbox.. happy and full of joy together..
11 minutes ago via web Favorite Reply

_____

@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
The Greatest Trick Verizon Ever Pulled was telling the world the Thunderbolt existed...... have a good day all and I will holla later on.
12 minutes ago via web Favorite Reply

_____

@black_man_x
The Mobile Panda
new logo... thanks to @dbgoolsby the panda approved designer!! Feel free to hit him up for all your logo needs! cause some of u need it!!
8 minutes ago via web Favorite Reply

Upvote 0
As in a marketing ploy or something else?

Personally I think both.

The non-release caused hype. You normal "joe" sees commercial, walks in and asks about it, can not get it. Walks away wanting more (you always want what you can not have).

Whether or not the hype caused customers to flee is debatable, but here in the forums, not many have fled (acted like they did, but are still here).

Upvote 0
If it was getting rebranded wouldn't VZW take down the Strikes Soon link that has Thunderbolt all over it and wouldn't htc take down their reference to it as well? Not just commercials that needed to be worded in a name change. Just my two cents.
That and all the retail boxes say Thunderbolt on them ... the accessories out in stores say Thunderbolt on them ... etc. etc. etc.

Upvote 0
Pure speculation follows:

I believe that when the first images of the Thunderbolt leaked back in August that it was just a shell with no substance. Leaked just to test potential interest.

That would explain all of the different rumors about specs, release dates, and versions as VZW tossed around these ideas and went back and forth on which ones would come to fruition and even scrapped some ideas entirely. (Remember back in November when the idea of a 3G only model was being tossed around.)

Just my $.02

Upvote 0
Rebranded? At this stage in the game? No way. Again, more money, more hassle, and simply just not worth it.

You don't get to be the largest carrier in the US without pissing a few people off. They're huge, and truth is, even if this phone never came out, they would more than survive.*

*Although I would still be very pissed off, not that I have ever made a difference to them. Oh well...

Upvote 0
Verizon Wireless

Hey fans, we appreciate all the excitement about the anticipated launch of the ThunderBolt by HTC. We're excited too! Verizon 4G LTE is America’s fastest, most advanced 4G network & we want to ensure the advanced technology behind our first 4G LTE phone is flawless. We will announce its release date as soon as it is confirmed. Thanks for your support & patience while we work to bring you the ThunderBolt by HTC.

26 seconds ago

Upvote 0
If it was getting rebranded wouldn't VZW take down the Strikes Soon link that has Thunderbolt all over it and wouldn't htc take down their reference to it as well? Not just commercials that needed to be worded in a name change. Just my two cents.

That and all the retail boxes say Thunderbolt on them ... the accessories out in stores say Thunderbolt on them ... etc. etc. etc.
same thing happened to the incredible...there are 2 sets of boxes and marketing had to add DROID to everything for it too

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones