• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Resolved] CANT delete a contact(found a bug?)

6er

Lurker
Jul 4, 2011
I sync'd up an OLD AOL IM account into google talk/gmail chat). it added everyone to my contact list and pushed the contacts onto my phone. now, for some reason, I cleaned up the list, but one is left, and there is NO delete option for it(the only contact that you cant delete). It is no longer showing in google contacts, (and I noticed there is no longer an "all contacts" link on the left side of the contacts screen in gmail). I deleted it from AIM, forced a sync with Google and its still there. ANY ideas? it's driving me nuts as it shows as my first contact......its just there mocking me every time I go into qik or contacts.....very annoying:mad:.

Thanks in Advance

And yes, I checked all my contact groups, as I only show 5. What idiot at google that thought that removing the simple "all contacts" list was a good idea? Look around the web and a lot of people have contacts they cant manage since the change.

I know exactly what you mean, my wife has the same thing on her Shift with the HTC Mail app.

Better desktop clients let you get to their list of known email addresses, separate from the contact list, so you can weed out the bad ones. Now our mobile clients are keeping that same separate list, but you can't get to it to clean it.

Best you can try is to go to the app and clear all data, and hope when you set it up again that the bad pennies don't return.

In the case of gmail, I believe you have to delete the account and go through Setup (app drawer) again.

Upvote 0
I know exactly what you mean, my wife has the same thing on her Shift with the HTC Mail app.

Better desktop clients let you get to their list of known email addresses, separate from the contact list, so you can weed out the bad ones. Now our mobile clients are keeping that same separate list, but you can't get to it to clean it.

Best you can try is to go to the app and clear all data, and hope when you set it up again that the bad pennies don't return.

there is no "app", its my contact list

Upvote 0
You can only delete the account by wiping the phone....it says some apps are linked and the only way to delete the account is by doing a factory default reset. There has got to be a way to delete it without erasing my phone and re-downloading 40 apps

I emailed HTC. I have a feeling they will tell me to just wipe the phone rather that try to fix a problem with their software, but maybe they already know how to fix it....

Upvote 0
Ah, you're right, forgot that.

You might try clearing gmail data and restarting it if you haven't already.

I'd like to see a fix for this.

Mostly, I personally deal with the inconvenience of the factory reset rather than live with a ongoing annoyance, but that is just me.

Easier now with Google backing up apps and some settings.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Woot! I figured from the issue relating to my wifes phone keeping contacts on qik made me think that it must be qik. I logged out which cleared all the data and when I log back in the contact was gone in my contacts list in and In the video chat list. So qik is the issue as you can't delete contacts from qik and you can't delete contacts you got from qik. I have a feeling that I won't be the only one to have this happen so I hope this helps people in the future

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones