1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Response from HTC about Light leakage....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Novoken, Jun 21, 2010.

?

Do you have light leakage?

1. Yes

296 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. No

135 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Dont know yet.

33 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. beano52

beano52 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 23, 2010
    St. Louis Metro
    a couple weekends ago, i got together with my family. They all bought EVOs on my recomendation (3 + mine !!). Anyhow, one of my sisters had a different kind of what I would describe as "light leakage". It could be seen by looking down the front of the phone from the top. It was like light leaking back up toward the screen.

She is getting a replacement from sprint but trying to send me a pic.

Advertisement

2. Obsidian

Obsidian Newbie
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    I exchanged my Evo for a new one today due to the light leakage (and a couple of other issues). The screen was only below the bezel in the upper left corner ... it was raised everywhere else. There was a line of light leaking through across the bottom, and the screen visibly moved when I pressed it.

Exchanged at a Sprint store pretty painlessly ... new Evo is perfect, the screen is below the bezel at all four corners, no light leakage and feels more solid overall ... the volume buttons, power button and the touch vibration are noticeably improved on the newer Evo as well. I debated on whether to return it or not for fear of getting an even worse Evo, but luckily got a good one. Hopefully it will stay that way.

3. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Engineer
    Portland, OR
    I am sad to report that the brand new Evo I picked up at the Sprint store has this light leakage/screen separation issue. We are now into October and mine does show that it is hardware rev. 3, but the problem still exists. Does anyone know how many times you can exchange the phone within the 30 day period? This is really kind of a joke at this point. Not sure what to do. :(

4. phonguy2331

phonguy2331 Lurker
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    I replace the LCD if a customer brings it 2 my store

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    My replacement that I got has major light leaks... I don't care about it at this point though... it's always in my otterbox... box... so I never see it. I'd rather not have it there, but whatever.

6. Crash

Crash Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Hardware Version 2, same phone from the release day...still no light leakage for me.

7. Roq

Roq Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 22, 2009
    Orange County, Ca
    The light leakage is a result of the screen separating from the phone because of the adhesive failing. As it gets worse the screen can lift so far up that there is an actual gap between the screen and rest of the phone.

8. Caloy

Caloy Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    Mad Scientist! MUAHAHAHA!
    Richmond, TX
    My old phone didn't have the light leakage issue, my replacement phone has this issue, but it's working fine so I don't really mind.

9. manny84

manny84 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    I currently have this issue with my 4th EVO.

I exchanged it THREE other times, but no luck. They all had light leakage. I guess I'm one of those unfortunate EVO owner's who has to deal with this frustrating and ridiculous DESIGN FLAW by HTC.

For shame, HTC.

10. eieio

eieio Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Going where others are afraid to
    Bat Cave
    I think what is really sad is that half of you guys have a phone with light that shows up like any other phone in the dark or produces light at an angle that would shine in any other phone..

But because you read it on the forums it is now an issue..

If you had not read about it here, it would not have a clue.

11. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Number 1: The light leakage is a symptom of the glass not being PROPERLY mounted on the device itself (which could lead to further complications down the road). Number 2: I noticed the light leakage on Day 1 when I purchased my EVO on July 5th, prior to being a member of Androidforums.

So shove it.

12. Traceamount

Traceamount Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Productions Manager
    Alabama
    If im not mistaken, theres been 2 kinds of "light leakage". The one that comes out of the between the glass and the outside lip of the phone, is a for real problem or can become one. The light leaking UP from the buttons into the screen that you can ONLY see if you tilt the phone and look down into it, is NORMAL according to HTC. Forgive me if im wrong, but pretty certain im not.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I think you are right...but I have seen some of the up onto the screen that are very very bad...sending streaks of light all the way up.

and for the record... i had my phone out of it's case and the screen is just starting to seperate :( spongie all around and light leakage at bottom seal

14. Zumaki

Zumaki Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Its finally dark enough to look at my phone for leakage. Only things I see that come close are:

- touch buttons leaking a little back up onto screen, only noticeable when I peer from top of phone down the screen.

- little bit of glow coming out of usb port. But I actually think that's pretty damn cool.

15. MaxPower26

MaxPower26 Lurker
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    so i got my evo 3 days ago and noticed light leakage below the home key. also noticed that the bottom left corner near the home key is slightly higher than the other corners. i read thru this entire thread and opinions seem to vary greatly on what to do to resolve this issue. i would like to get views from people who have had their evo's for awhile now.

1. will this problem get worse over time? if not, i think i can deal with the small leak and i'll keep the phone.
    2. should i exchange it for another evo, knowing there is no guarantee that the new one wont have this issue and the issue could actually be worse? really don't want to keep having to exchange phones.

btw i have a ver 3

16. paintmoonsred

paintmoonsred Member
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Photographer
    Louisville
    I would venture to assert that this issue WILL affect all phones, and any phones without leakage will be an anomaly, since the same process is used in manufacturing for all the Evos. I would just keep the phone and see if HTC addresses the issue formally (not likely) and if it gets too bad, I plan on doing the super glue route. The features of the phone are worth this issue being overlooked for me, not on principle, but on utility.

manny84 and MaxPower26 like this.
  17. MaxPower26

MaxPower26 Lurker
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    yeah i think i'll hold onto it.....this damn thing is hard to put down. if the problem gets worse i'll just use the one year htc warrenty and get a new one.

18. ARR22

ARR22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Network/System Administrator, I build and fix PC's
    Some where in Iowa. But born and rasied in Austin
    Your assumption is right. I indeed did not tamper with it. I got 3 replacements till i finally got one without the issue. It was royal a pain in the ass!

19. Zumaki

Zumaki Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    settings > about phone > hardware version

20. BlackedOut

BlackedOut Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    Retail
    Kansas
    I hope mine is good when I get it. My hero, has a shit ton of dust under the screen, the paint is peeling off the red power button, etc. Quality phone I got there.

21. beestea

beestea Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Hey guys, this is my 2nd Evo in less than a month of buying one. First one had a REALLY annoying rattle in the built in phone speaker (not media speaker) so it would crackle like someone blowing air on a microphone on every other word the person on the other side said. BTW this was hardware version 3, with the lcd that has the purplish tint (epson?)

2nd one is also hardware version 3 with the lcd that has the more yellowish tint, and also has light leakage issues. I took a 4 second exposure to better show the light (it doesn't look quite this bad in normal conditions, but is annoying none the less)

[​IMG]

22. beestea

beestea Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    Got a 3rd phone... still hardware version 3, with the LCD that has the yellowish tint. This one has slightly worse light leaks than my second phone. I give up :( Evo is a beautiful piece of hardware, first phone ive ever owned that I think is truly better looking that any iphone... I just wish HTC could get their manufacturing process corrected to not have annoying little flaws like this.

23. toolwarrior

toolwarrior Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Engineer
    Portland, OR
    I am also on my second phone. The first had light leakage below all 4 capacitive buttons. The second was much better and only had a hint of light below the home button. However, two weeks later the light under the home button is getting brighter. I can push down the glass in that area and the light goes away but comes right back when I take the pressure away. I emailed HTC and Sprint. Both came back as templet letters with no real information. I specifically asked them is this a problem. There was no direct response to the question. Just a number for tech support. I am afraid to change phones again for fear of getting a worse one. Are the rest of you guys just living with this? Those of you that have it, is it getting worse? Sheesh. My window for return is closing fast. If I knew it was not going to be a long term problem, I would live with it.

Thanks,
    Rich

24. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Just live with it. Most EVOs have the light leakage issue. Trust me, I know. I returned three EVOs because of this issue, and my current fourth device still has this problem.

25. BrianJB

BrianJB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah, mine didnt have the issue for the first couple months I had it. Then I started to get light leakage under the home key,menu key..etc... And shortly after that I got the "looking down from the top of the phone, light leaking into the screen" leak. But I dont want to exchange it, I mean from what everyone says it seems like its an issue thats here to stay.

Plus i've read about people having small issues like what mine has but still exchanging it and ending up with worse problems with their new phone.

But if thats all I have to deal with to have one of my favorite cell phones ever, then sign me up for more. I'd rather have that issue than what I had with my bb curve that would freeze up for 10mins at least once a day.

Tags: