• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

ok someone sent me a message about previous question so thanks but now When i try to do the command prompt part i get stuck on fastboot oem part because when i put it in it just says waiting for device ...anyone knows why ??

your phone needs to be in fastboot for that command to work. just power off your phone and press and hold power+vol down in the bootloader menu select fastboot. once in fastboot, your command window should change.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have HTC sync installed on both machines that I tried.
can you update us a little? is it you can't get the sdk tools to update?
yea.. do u know which recovery i should get ? 2.3 or 2.3 with android flasher
there are two ways you can get amon ra2.3 recovery oneis through the botloader and the other is with android flasher. both are easy to do so it will be up to you to decide.

Upvote 0
can you update us a little? is it you can't get the sdk tools to update?

there are two ways you can get amon ra2.3 recovery oneis through the botloader and the other is with android flasher. both are easy to do so it will be up to you to decide.
ok and the final steps i selected a rom then it says something about 3: go into recovery thats where im stuck at .. how do i get to recovery and do i go into recovery on computer or i do everything from my phone from here on out ?

Upvote 0
ok and the final steps i selected a rom then it says something about 3: go into recovery thats where im stuck at .. how do i get to recovery and do i go into recovery on computer or i do everything from my phone from here on out ?
power off the phone then press and hold power+vol down to get to the bootloader menu. select recovery.
So I was here getting help rooting last night, using Tacoroot.. I have not had a chance to come back until now.. I'm on the step where I insert the PCimg zip file.. since I left off here, can I start up here again, or since it was a temp root method, should I start over at step one?
you should be fine. just pickup where you left off. the misc partition that you updated will still be there and the same goes for the tacoroot. it should be there unless you did the undo command which is after the PC36IMG part.

just for future reference make sure that you a lot yourself sometime to do this. it is not good that you leave the rooting process in the middle.

Reactions: JuiceBox316
Upvote 0
Thanks again, Yeah, I'm learning that the hard way. First time, but you have been an outstanding help, I can't thank you enough! The undo command comes before inserting the pc36img.zip step, so yes, I have already put the undo command into the phone, and it is stable again.

ooops that is what i meant. lol after the PC36IMG part.:eek:

Upvote 0
ok.. sorry I'm being persistent with my questions, but just so I don't do something stupid and undoable.. The last step I did yesterday was the --undo step. Now the next step is inserting pc36img. It is OK to pick up here? No need to start over? I'm not questioning you, I'm just making sure I'm not doing something stupid as I'm learning as I go.

Upvote 0
ok.. sorry I'm being persistent with my questions, but just so I don't do something stupid and undoable.. The last step I did yesterday was the --undo step. Now the next step is inserting pc36img. It is OK to pick up here? No need to start over? I'm not questioning you, I'm just making sure I'm not doing something stupid as I'm learning as I go.

no your are fine by picking it up from that point. should be ok. and do not worry about questions. this is a forum and that is part of what forums are for.

Upvote 0
ok.. I inserted the .zip file to the root of the card.. went into the bootloader and did not get asked to update anything. The file is named pc36img and the step was followed to a t.. any tips?

does your computer shows the extensions on files? when you look at other files, do you see extensions such as ".exe" or ".jpg"? and make sure that the file is in all caps so the it is PC36IMG and not pc36img.

Upvote 0
which files? The ones that are inside the .zip file that I moved onto the disc? and it was in all caps when I attempted the first time, so that can't be it. The files zipped into the file I downloaded from 4shared only have .img extensions and one .nbo extension, along with one .txt extension? Do I have to convert the contents of the file?

Upvote 0
which files? The ones that are inside the .zip file that I moved onto the disc? and it was in all caps when I attempted the first time, so that can't be it. The files zipped into the file I downloaded from 4shared only have .img extensions and one .nbo extension, along with one .txt extension? Do I have to convert the contents of the file?

ok the PC36IMG file needs to stay zipped. do not extract file unless told to do so.

Upvote 0
ok.. I deleted the file, and now I'm trying to redownload from 4shared and it will not download, i feel helpless as if I'm too dumb to complete this process. The file is no longer on my pc.. so there should be no confusion in redownloading, but the website says thanks for downloading, but the browser shows no sign of download completion, using google chrome

edit: nm.. figured it out. Sorry.

Upvote 0
ok.. I deleted the file, and now I'm trying to redownload from 4shared and it will not download, i feel helpless as if I'm too dumb to complete this process. The file is no longer on my pc.. so there should be no confusion in redownloading, but the website says thanks for downloading, but the browser shows no sign of download completion, using google chrome
weird i just tried the link on my google chrome browser with no issue. anyways you can try my dropbox account version:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8709935/PC3...15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip. it is the same file.

Upvote 0
ok.. so I just downloaded that file again.. now I should move it, "it" being the long zip file to the android folder per the instruction step. Next, after moving it to the android folder, i rename that same zip file to "PCIMG36"... next I open the phone under disc drive and move that .zip file that i just renamed to the sd card simply in the zip form it was downloaded?

Upvote 0
ok.. so I just downloaded that file again.. now I should move it, "it" being the long zip file to the android folder per the instruction step. Next, after moving it to the android folder, i rename that same zip file to "PCIMG36"... next I open the phone under disc drive and move that .zip file that i just renamed to the sd card simply in the zip form it was downloaded?

no need to move it to the android folder. it just needs to be renamed and then moved to the sd card. and yes leave the file zipped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones