• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Dream 1.6 Update

Who knows but it only requires a firmware upgrade but someone always claims that their hands are tied and it takes longer.

It seems that this was a known problem and fixed months ago but apparently Rogers still had the buggy code. CyanogenMod fixed this in September. Commit d32511a18fe38a5d3234571f6b5d197f6b334a68 to cyanogen's android_frameworks_base - GitHub

So I'm ok with a ROM from the open community. This underscores a need (among other lessons about Rogers) for 911 testing that anyone can use.

Upvote 0
I don't use Twitter but can search it and this topic is all over the place. It seems that every small time coder knew about it and fixed it long before now. Rogers seriously needs to get someone that pays attention to the world outside corporate if they intend on playing in this new Android world. Instead they will focus on spin and point back at HTC. In the end it costs them a lot more than just doing it right and my phone would have been delivered with the fix and I would have never known about it.

Upvote 0
Good morning,

I've been reading this forum for a number of months now. Thank you to the folx who got Rogers to acknowledge this problem. I'm a proud mom to a new Magic!! Thank you!

Now about my dream. I would like to use it around the house, or when wi-fi is available if I need to write longer emails. Is there any way I can use the browser without a sim card? I also have the new sim rogers sent, but I don't want to activate it.

I love these phones!!

Cheers,

J from Ottawa

Upvote 0
Now about my dream. I would like to use it around the house, or when wi-fi is available if I need to write longer emails. Is there any way I can use the browser without a sim card? I also have the new sim rogers sent, but I don't want to activate it.

As much as I'd like to say that the phone is useless so you should give it to me as a devel phone, sure it will work with only WiFI. However who knows about the stock ROM and whether it will not act right but it should work. Give it a try and let us know. If it doesn't work get back to me and I can upgrade it. It should be a great WiFI device. (hint, can even do phone via VoIP).
That being said I'm going to test my own right now to be sure.

Upvote 0
I've got a new post on my blog about the 911 issue and how a Canadian cell phone software developer warned Rogers about the issue Sept 22, 2009. The issue was apparently fixed by _google_ a few days before he called, but HTC didn't do anything for us.

T-Mobile apparently fixed the issue in the US when they released Android 1.6 to their G1 and MyTouch owners.

Thanks to Puleen (pir8) for the heads up about the original thread in the Howard Forums.

I Want My One Point Six - Demanding Android 1.6 for our Rogers HTC Magic & Dream, and LG Eve Phones

Upvote 0
The plot thickens indeed. Interesting course of events. I only disagree with the mention of a law suit. Doesn't solve a thing and is the wrong method of fixing anything. I ask nicely once and then take my money elsewhere.

*Now* do we see why unlocked phones and some education is best? We can't leave our knowledge in the hands of big corp. Didn't work in the days of "car phones" and still doesn't in the age of smart phones.

Upvote 0
sure it will work with only WiFI. However who knows about the stock ROM and whether it will not act right but it should work. Give it a try and let us know. If it doesn't work get back to me and I can upgrade it. It should be a great WiFI device. (hint, can even do phone via VoIP).
That being said I'm going to test my own right now to be sure.

So, unfortunately, it isn't working. Here's what happens:

Once started, there is a triangle in the top right corner with an exclamation in it. When I click that, it says: Sign-in/sync error. When I select that, it has a window that says " Google sign in" The password isn't valid. Please try again.
I enter the password and click sign in. It says Authenicating and then gives me another google sign in network error.

I have the wi-fi icon on the top right that seems like its working...

If I go back and try entering the browser, I can't access any webpages.

That's my story :)

Upvote 0
well perhaps it is because I'm not using the Rogers ROM on my device. I started up and the lock screen said No Sim. But everything continued to work including gmail.

If you're able to at least get into the main screen then you should reset everything to default under System/SD Card/Reset to Factory. You don't want the phone conflicting with the other's gmail settings. You might then need to bypass the gmail setup until WiFI is online. Then sign in with a different gmail ID.

I can help you if you need it. or if the phone's ROM is too locked down to Rogers I'll gladly buy it cheap from you and root it.

Upvote 0
Can I make a suggestion, that if someone wants to buy a users old Dream for whatever reason, can they start a seperate thread and simply post the link onto this one, rather than taking this thread away from it's intended purpose?

I'd like to know if the issues with 911 will affect the updates coming, as from what I understand, the 911 issue was fixed in Android 1.6

Upvote 0
Can I make a suggestion, that if someone wants to buy a users old Dream for whatever reason, can they start a seperate thread and simply post the link onto this one, rather than taking this thread away from it's intended purpose?

I'd like to know if the issues with 911 will affect the updates coming, as from what I understand, the 911 issue was fixed in Android 1.6

talkin to me? :p

actually this thread evolves from the news that started it. If you'll notice, it isn't about the 911 issue either. ;)

"There's a thread for that"

Upvote 0
Just called Roger's... after being put on hold 3 times while lady checked into various things, she came back to say that she is unable to process it due to it being "on hold". She then suggested I call back Friday or Monday (the promotion ends on Jan 26th).

Am I being snowballed?

I'm just about fed-up with Roger's. I WENT with the HTC Magic b/c of a customer service rep's recommendation in December but that was only after fighting for about 2 weeks about getting an upgrade credit for an iPhone (lost battle - this was the compromise). And that was after having a phone recommended to me previously about 6 months prior that lasted all of 3 months.

Advice anyone?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just called Roger's... after being put on hold 3 times while lady checked into various things, she came back to say that she is unable to process it due to it being "on hold". She then suggested I call back Friday or Monday (the promotion ends on Jan 26th).

Am I being snowballed?

I'm just about fed-up with Roger's. I WENT with the HTC Magic b/c of a customer service rep's recommendation in December but that was only after fighting for about 2 weeks about getting an upgrade credit for an iPhone (lost battle - this was the compromise). And that was after having a phone recommended to me previously about 6 months prior that lasted all of 3 months.

Advice anyone?

Thanks.

It is on hold because of the 911/GPS issue with the Magic. Both the Dream and the Magic have been "pulled" from the shelves.

I have asked RogersMary if the exchange will be extended. I am awaiting a reply.

Upvote 0

Am I being snowballed?

Advice anyone?

Thanks.

RogersMary has said that the Dream to Magic upgrade is on hold for the moment because of the 911 bug. Both phones have been pulled off Rogers' website. We're waiting for a response right now to see if the promotion will be extended once the bug is resolved.
I think I got lucky and got mine in just under the wire. Rogers said mine was shipped yesterday.
I would suggest you keep watching the thread for updates.

Edit to add that it looks mjschmidt beat me to the answer.

Upvote 0
talkin to me? :p

actually this thread evolves from the news that started it. If you'll notice, it isn't about the 911 issue either. ;)

"There's a thread for that"

Very true, just thinking that the 911 issue might help to accelerate the original point of this thread, which was to get an update beyond 1.5

I'm just thinking given that Rogers actually caved on this, now to have people posting about selling their phones for profit, etc comes across a little shady (that's not to say Rogers doesn't deserve it)

:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones