• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roll Call! What's up 2023?!?!?!

The more I think about it...
The more I like it...

The "Daily" suggests it's something worth coming back to every day.
The "Net" suggests a technology and community angle.
It doesn't shout "TECH FORUM" but it doesn't need to... the members and content will dictate what the site is and becomes.

Destinations like Reddit and Twitter are general in nature but have their own sub-communities that flourish. Social media posts themselves are newsworthy so although The Daily Net sounds like a news source, I don't think it's a bad thing- might be a great thing tbh.

About to shut down the site and run some backups and updates. Fingers crossed this goes smoothly!

Upvote 0
Having some issues with the update, I posted in the other thread since that one is only for the update and probably a better place for it.
I had totally forgotten but just remembered, many years ago there was an Early Bird app that was a precursor to the Android Forums app. They actually operated simultaneously for a while then it was deprecated and the AF app remained. Most here probably don't remember it or weren't around then. Is that related to your current idea, or just a coincidence?

Upvote 0
Also, if folks are finding there way here unable to log in, I'm quoting this from @Fox Mulder so they have a better shot at seeing it.
Any chance you can enable the dark mode option in Xenforo? I know it's there.

Also a note in case anyone has similar issues- I tried to log in with the new software but got directed to the "register" page even though I could see I was still a registered member. I fixed it by requesting a password reset, didn't even have to change my password but just re-entered the old one and then I was able to log in.

Update- looks like this only works on one device at a time, whenever I try to connect on a different device I get the same thing and doing the password reset on another device breaks the others. So I am only able to be logged in on one device at a time. Something needs fixing.
Note this is across different platforms and browsers.
Also it appears the app is now totally broken, maybe nobody cares but it did still work previously and had a working dark mode.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
Curious what others think of the name- I don't think it sounds "old" but maybe I'm old? The phrase "Early Bird" is used so widely when referencing systems of rewarding people for participating early on, tech influencers are considered early adopters, etc... seems to fit perfectly imo but I'm not 110% if there is overwhelming opposition.

How about Daily.Net (The Daily Net)?!?!?

I've owned "Daily.net" for years which is a super premium domain name that I've never had the resources to put to good use. This could actually be a really, really amazing fit!

My gears are turning... what do you all think?

Daily.Net is far superior IMO. Plus agree with the sentiment around 'early bird'. Generally when I think about early tech users, the phrase early adopters comes to mind... Not that you'd want to name a site that

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@Rob, I'm still around. And I really appreciated your acknowledgment of Joy Noelle's passing. Thanks.

I'm still getting by in my post-sepsis life which, frankly, sucks. For years I kept believing things would improve, despite my doctors telling me they wouldn't. But recently I wanted to find out why my arms and legs feel like lead, and get so tired just doing the tiniest things, like brushing my hair. One thing led to another and I learned about sepsis-induced myopathy. NOW I understand why the doctors were so certain all along.

As for tech-related stuff, my house--and property--are filled with gadgets. I'm typing this on my most recent System76 17.3" laptop, running my favorite Linux distro, Kubuntu, as I do on all my computers. As always, there are no window$--or Apples--in this house! A few months ago I bought a new Fire HD 10 (Amazon removed "Kindle" from its name, to distinguish it from its e-book reader), and it's absolutely amazing. It's hard to believe how great it is, considering the incredible deal I got on it. I only have to charge it every 2-3 days, depending on usage; its battery is unreal. Its display is beautiful, it's very fast and responsive, and with the storage space I added, it'll be good for a long time.

I had a new sprinkler system installed a couple of years ago, and includes a timer AND a remote control. Our seemingly endless drought was a huge factor in this purchase. Right now, ironically, we've been getting more precipitation than we had in 40-something years!

I had ADT install a Ring video doorbell and smart lock some time ago. I love being able to see who's at the door, and talk to them even if I'm not in my house. It has all kinds of features, like package detection, person detection, etc. My ADT system also includes monitored smoke and CO alarms, and I really like that.

Still involved in animal and human rights, although that's mostly just by financial contributions now, as I can't volunteer any more. I started out as vegetarian in 1988, but transitioned at some point to vegan, and I'm very happy to see the explosion of decadent, appealing, satisfying vegan foods that are available now. That includes two of my lifelong favorites: Lay's potato chips and Double Stuf Oreos! :D

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rob
Upvote 0
Hey all! :) (someone left the door unlocked, so.... :D)

I'm still alive and kicking...using and holding on to my Pixel 4a (still going strong)... Not doing anything Android-related (i.e., not app development or such...just answering the still random emails that I get for my past work)

Hope all is well and good with everyone -- I retired on Jan 1, 2020, so enjoying playing with the doggies, working out on a regular basis, and playing soccer when the weather allows (my wife is still working so I "inherited" all of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc..--a bargain in my opinion to allow me to retire ;) )

Cheers all!
-SA

Upvote 0
Hey all! :) (someone left the door unlocked, so.... :D)

I'm still alive and kicking...using and holding on to my Pixel 4a (still going strong)... Not doing anything Android-related (i.e., not app development or such...just answering the still random emails that I get for my past work)

Hope all is well and good with everyone -- I retired on Jan 1, 2020, so enjoying playing with the doggies, working out on a regular basis, and playing soccer when the weather allows (my wife is still working so I "inherited" all of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc..--a bargain in my opinion to allow me to retire ;) )

Cheers all!
-SA
I retired the same day my friend. I'm glad to see you are doing well. I hear you on the KP detail.

Upvote 0
I retired the same day my friend. I'm glad to see you are doing well. I hear you on the KP detail.
Retired!?!?! I was going to have you make a secret room for me when I win the lottery! Of course we'll both probably be dead before that happens.

I'm still working, although my body is moving me into more managerial duties, can't hang on the jobsite so much anymore. Still selling NFA items (and a few guns) on our side business and just added a line of safes.

Tech front, just built my home theater system, all Klipsch Reference series speakers, Onkyo 9.2 receiver and LG G2 55" Oled. Getting into drones after my wife got me one for my birthday last year. Still doing my photography, upgraded to a Nikon D850 in 2017 and looking at a Z9 if the Z8 doesn't come out soon. And of course, just had to do a monster computer for my photo/video editing.

Phone front I went from Pixel 4XL to 6 Pro then 7 Pro, think I'll stay with the 7 for a while unless the 8 is groundbreaking.

Still happily married with four grandkids now. Just took the wife to Terlingua and stayed in a bubble for our 16th anniversary.

As far as this word "retired", not sure what that is or how I get it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Retired!?!?! I was going to have you make a secret room for me when I win the lottery! Of course we'll both probably be dead before that happens.

I'm still working, although my body is moving me into more managerial duties, can't hang on the jobsite so much anymore. Still selling NFA items (and a few guns) on our side business and just added a line of safes.

Tech front, just built my home theater system, all Kliosch Reference series speakers, Onkyo 9.2 receiver and LG G2 55" Oled. Getting into drones after my wife got me one for my birthday last year. Still doing my photography, upgraded to a Nikon D850 in 2017 and looking at a Z9 if the Z8 doesn't come out soon. And of course, just had to do a monster computer for my photo/video editing.

Phone front I went from Pixel 4XL to 6 Pro then 7 Pro, think I'll stay with the 7 for a while unless the 8 is groundbreaking.

Still happily married with four grandkids now. Just took the wife to Terlingua and stayed in a bubble for our 16th anniversary.

As far as this word "retired", not sure what that is or how I get it.
I'm slowly working my way though the long list that wife has compiled. :) Your theater sounds very cool! Congrats on grandkids. I now have three great grandkids. We have propagation down to a fine science. Retirement has its perks but boring. I remain productive if you count playing golf and riding my bicycle. :)

Upvote 0
@Rob, I'm still around. And I really appreciated your acknowledgment of Joy Noelle's passing. Thanks.

I'm still getting by in my post-sepsis life which, frankly, sucks. For years I kept believing things would improve, despite my doctors telling me they wouldn't. But recently I wanted to find out why my arms and legs feel like lead, and get so tired just doing the tiniest things, like brushing my hair. One thing led to another and I learned about sepsis-induced myopathy. NOW I understand why the doctors were so certain all along.

As for tech-related stuff, my house--and property--are filled with gadgets. I'm typing this on my most recent System76 17.3" laptop, running my favorite Linux distro, Kubuntu, as I do on all my computers. As always, there are no window$--or Apples--in this house! A few months ago I bought a new Fire HD 10 (Amazon removed "Kindle" from its name, to distinguish it from its e-book reader), and it's absolutely amazing. It's hard to believe how great it is, considering the incredible deal I got on it. I only have to charge it every 2-3 days, depending on usage; its battery is unreal. Its display is beautiful, it's very fast and responsive, and with the storage space I added, it'll be good for a long time.

I had a new sprinkler system installed a couple of years ago, and includes a timer AND a remote control. Our seemingly endless drought was a huge factor in this purchase. Right now, ironically, we've been getting more precipitation than we had in 40-something years!

I had ADT install a Ring video doorbell and smart lock some time ago. I love being able to see who's at the door, and talk to them even if I'm not in my house. It has all kinds of features, like package detection, person detection, etc. My ADT system also includes monitored smoke and CO alarms, and I really like that.

Still involved in animal and human rights, although that's mostly just by financial contributions now, as I can't volunteer any more. I started out as vegetarian in 1988, but transitioned at some point to vegan, and I'm very happy to see the explosion of decadent, appealing, satisfying vegan foods that are available now. That includes two of my lifelong favorites: Lay's potato chips and Double Stuf Oreos! :D
Lay's classic brand has always been vegan (literally oil, salt and potatoes). I learned about the Oreos back in 2009.

My home is filled with gadgets too. But none past the year 2014 (the day the tech progress and beautiful UI died). My home is a testament to the 1950s up to 2014. The newest is my Xbox One and 32" Magnavox HDTV out on the patio. Xbox from 2013 (OG) and TV from 2014.

I'm currently collecting any laptop from the years 2007-12. I appreciate Linux (and my gaming rig runs Linux) but I'm far more fond of Windows 7 for its UI. I couldn't accurately copy it in Linux (scaling issues, icon grid issues, certain apps I want to use don't run on Wine, or don't work properly in VirtualBox because it only allows you to use 256MB of VRAM and lacking the gadgets sidebar and no, KDE's ain't good enough)

I still use my S4 Mini (2013) as it fits my hand perfectly and I recently revived it. I was using a ZTE Cymbal as my main texting device and am glad to use my classic smartphone again. Having the ability to replace countless remote controls with it because it has an IR blaster is great. All my phone calls are on two older Western Electric rotary telephones (if anyone needs to call me, they have to wait 'till I get home!). My S4 is mainly just texting, music and IR blaster. Well, music as far as bluetooth in my Ridgeline, but when I use headphones that's done with a Nintendo 3DS (2011). I try to stick to the years 2009-13 as those were the years I had with my beautiful doe, Daisy.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm well (as are my wife and rescue cat). We now have 3 grandchildren (5 ,3 1/2, and 1) how our daughter manages in a tiny apartment ground floor flat I can't imagine. We're still All Linux/FOSS and off to Croatia on holiday in a month . I'm still considering changing to an EV adn prices for used ones seem to be coming down quite nicely in the UK right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones