• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM and Kernal setups?

What?

Grab an app called ROM Manager from the market (free version), flash clockwork recovery if you haven't done it after rooting.
Get whichever kernel you want from:
Index of /shift/kernels
and put it on your sd card without unzipping.
Reboot into clockwork recovery and flash a custom zip file and choose the one you want. Remember to wipe cache before you do so and always make a backup before making any changes.
From my own experience, the 1.8 GhZ Kernel works only after flashing the 1.5 GhZ one, however it is not stable and phone reboots sometimes. The 1.5 GhZ is completely stable. In order to change clock speed, download setCPU from the market (has to be the paid version).
If you want custom ROMs, google or go to
EVO Shift 4G Android Development - xda-developers
and search forums. Hope that helped a little.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I knew there was ROM's and kernels out there... Just don't know if there is any I can fully trust yet.

Anyone have experience with any of the ROM's and kernels available ATM? Suggestions?

Here is XDA's "HTC SPEEDY" wiki...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Speedy

Available ROMS/Kernals and links to their developer's corresponding threads are listed near the bottom.

I want to overclock my phone... Currently I can only reach stock 800mhz :(

Upvote 0
I knew there was ROM's and kernels out there... Just don't know if there is any I can fully trust yet.

Anyone have experience with any of the ROM's and kernels available ATM? Suggestions?

Here is XDA's "HTC SPEEDY" wiki...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Speedy

Available ROMS/Kernals and links to their developer's corresponding threads are listed near the bottom.

I want to overclock my phone... Currently I can only reach stock 800mhz :(

I just flashed the 1.5 ghz kernel, used setcpu to set my parameters, and it is running flawlessly. I haven't used any data intensive apps where I would really notice the speed increase, but on the stock froyo build, I got a linpack score of 51.771. This thing is a beast!

Upvote 0
So with a kernel I wont have to re-download any of my apps and stuff correct?

Not unless you wipe, which I didn't. It seemed to not cause any glitches, and it has been about 24 hrs since I flashed. You will have to download setcpu from the market if you want to overclock. Overclock widget doesn't work right with this kernel.

As always, make sure to do a nandroid backup before flashing ANYTHING to your phone....

Upvote 0
will doing a Clockwork backup using rom manager be fine?

and you mean not to wipe the cache? or not do a factory reset?

As long as you have the newest update to cwm, it will back up everything. I didn't wipe anything when I flashed it. No cache, no data, no factory reset.

The newest version of cwm in Rom Manager is 3.0.1.4
As long as you are running that, you will have a good nandroid backup. I gotta run, I will be back in about an hour if you need more help, bro.

Upvote 0
I installed the kernel last night also, it worked fine last night and had it set to 1.3, but today i was playing games and surfing the web and facebook (30min) and the battery got warm (114*) so i backed it down to 1.2 but temp didnt come down below 100* when in use so i had to back it down again to 1.1 so far so good. i will watch the temps and maybe i can bump it back up to 1.2 again

I would like to keep my temps in the 100 or lower range

Upvote 0
I'm using setCPU to have 1.5GhZ on interactive mode so whenever I don't use it, it goes down to 1GhZ. And I really have no idea what you were talking about setCPU having hard understand interface, it's super easy and simple to operate.
I'm really loving it, absolutely no crashes and phone works blazing fast, switching between any app to another within less than 0.3 seconds. I have not had to wait for anything yet.
And my battery hasn't gotten hot yet either. Never goes above 90.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones