• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] EvilKingdom - Stock Rom De-Odexed/Zipaligned.

I released version 3 which is mainly an improvement to the CWM installer. It now uses the Aroma installer. You can find the source to it here where you can use it in your own installers:

[MOD][2.00] AROMA Installer :: 120425-020 :: Open Source [REOPEN-SOON] - xda-developers

For this particular phone, use this setting in the aroma-config script to get touch screen working for your custom installer:

Code:
calibrate("1.6698","41","0.8897","88");

:D

Upvote 0
Okay so I'm trying to flash the PH44IMG via hboot so that I can use android commander to do all my root file manager stuff but I'm getting the mainver even though the txt indicates it should be for my version. I tried swapping out the mainver txt and then hboot just hangs at parsing. I even tried to flash the boot.img via cwm but no luck, kept getting md5 mismatches. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Okay so I'm trying to flash the PH44IMG via hboot so that I can use android commander to do all my root file manager stuff but I'm getting the mainver even though the txt indicates it should be for my version. I tried swapping out the mainver txt and then hboot just hangs at parsing. I even tried to flash the boot.img via cwm but no luck, kept getting md5 mismatches. Any ideas?

You might be on the pre-june OTA update. Did you do the OTA update yet? The OTA won't block current root methods so the OTA is safe to install so go ahead and run it.

If you still get the error after the June OTA update or already had that update, then refer to this thread to fix your phone's version string so that you can flash zips again (without altering the version string in them). RUU installers will also not work for you until you get the version string in the phone fixed.

http://androidforums.com/evo-design-all-things-root/569291-hboot-getting-version-too-old-errors.html

Im looking for the newest rooted version with latest updates. I need just a stock version and I will take off what I dont want. I found the v2 but it has a lot of bloated stuff taken off but I use some of it. If you know of any please let me know. thanks and cwm version would be nice.

I have kept all previous versions of the rom on my file host. The first release which is just stock with root and init.d support in kernel is now the "barebones" version of my rom. It's only available in CWM form since I have replaced the hboot version with the current version.

The first and original release with bloat ware intact is this:

EvilKingdom_Optimized_June.zip

Also I can confirm that 2fast's Advanced Power Menu mod is compatible with my rom, so if you are wanting to install that, go ahead and give that one a try. ;)

Upvote 0
thanks apache -- I used the tool you linked to and tried again -- that seemed to take care of it. Weird thing is I had done the June OTA update, but I'm running a few different mods on my phone, so that may have thrown something off.

ETA: Yeah I have the power menu mod installed, I also have the ICS status bar over at sdx installed and that works too. Once the HTC lock screen is gone it looks mostly stock ics aside from the messenger and the dialer.

Upvote 0
Apache Thunder- I registered here to tell you thanks and much credit is deserved here.
This phone is brand new and already tweeked to my liking thanks to you. I got it on thursday and had it rooted that day. Was kinda disappointed with performance at first but after wiping it clean and running fresh installer its snappy.

One suggestion, perhaps remove the wifi hotspot app as it disables 4g when turned on.
simple fix for me was this thread http://androidforums.com/evo-design-all-things-root/562353-working-wireless-tether-root.html

again thanks for your hard work.

Upvote 0
Found our decompile problem this is what must be done For ICS files, it seems you need to install the framework files before you can work with them. Try this:

1. place a copy of framework-res.apk in your apktool folder. 2. run this command in terminal/cmd: Code: apktool if framework-res.apk

3. After it is done installing, then you can do your decompiling and recompiling as normal.

Upvote 0
I was nervous switching over to the new HTC Evo for boost. Because the Ultra had such a good following and a great group of guys developing good roms for the phone. I have to say THANK YOU APACHE!!!!!!!!!!!! You have done a great job and squashed any worries I had switching over. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK to you and everyone working to make this a great phone for boost.

Upvote 0
For those hating the ugly EvDo icon and wanting that 3G icon back in their status bar, I've found the fix courtasy of 2fast4u88 and cookiefrog over at his forums.

I replaced the EvDo icons with the 3G icons and now I got 3G icons working on our phone. 1x and 4G icons still work as normal.

Download this APK:

SystemUI.apk

Then install it to your system/app folder (replacing the existing one, back it up first incase something goes wrong) and reboot the phone. You can use Android Commandor or a root browser on your phone to replace the file. You will need root and a deodexed rom like Evil Kingdom for this to work.

Please note if you have any other mod/theme installed that does anything to the systemUI.apk file, you will lose those changes when you install this one. You've been warned! :D

Reactions: durak
Upvote 0
For those hating the ugly EvDo icon and wanting that 3G icon back in their status bar, I've found the fix courtasy of 2fast4u88 and cookiefrog over at his forums.

I replaced the EvDo icons with the 3G icons and now I got 3G icons working on our phone. 1x and 4G icons still work as normal.

Download this APK:

SystemUI.apk

Then install it to your system/app folder (replacing the existing one, back it up first incase something goes wrong) and reboot the phone. You can use Android Commandor or a root browser on your phone to replace the file. You will need root and a deodexed rom like Evil Kingdom for this to work.

Please note if you have any other mod/theme installed that does anything to the systemUI.apk file, you will lose those changes when you install this one. You've been warned! :D

Works well. Didn't have a notification bar at all after reboot,had to change file permissions to:
r-w
r
r

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones