• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] Punisher 0.1 | BIG RELEASE | LG ALLY | VZC | SUPER FAST | STABLE | ANDROID 2.1 | THEMED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too good to be true, the 50% bug came back this morning :(

Alas.. I too have become (again) a victim of the 50% bug.. Was really having some serious battery drainage issues over the weekend.. I've tweaked a few things (I've loaded nothing different than what I've had) and it seems to be better.. but that damn bug was surely part of the problem..

Ohhhhhh Welll... Such is the life of an Ally abuser! :D

Upvote 0
Looks like I'll be in the minority here but this is the least stable ROM I've used yet. I flashed this when it first came out but since then I've gotten random reboots all the time. I dont think I was able to go more than 12 hours without getting a reboot. I'd like to help and narrow down what was causing the reboot but it literally happened so often its hard to identify the cause.

The one thing I can guess as it that it might have to do with being over clocked by default. I think this was a major over sight on the developers part. Not all phones can handle over clocked kernels so I think the better option is to not over clock by default but give users that option.

The last thing I'd like to say is, I dont see the innovation here. What does this ROM do that Velocity and Raptor don't already do? Was the ROM a little faster? Perhaps, I got slightly higher quadrant scores but the random reboots vastly off-set that advantage.

Upvote 0
Where does it says it's overclocked by default? Having a kernel capable of overclocking, and being overclocked out of the gate are 2 different things.

"Overclock kernel 2.6.29.6 and JIT by drellisdee" from original post.

Note: Overclock, not Overclocked.

And on ur "innovation" comment, having tasted all 3 rom's, + 2 of the "popular" beta's, I'm sorry man, but there's just not much more to "innovate" w/ this phone.

Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
Woah. Back up. This rom was not overclocked by default. Have you read the thread? YOU HAVE TO USE SETCPU TO OVERCLOCK. I DID GIVE YOU (THE USER) TO OVERCLOCK THIS ROM. YES THIS ROM WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FASTER. WASN'T ABOUT INNOVATION OR ANYTHING IT WAS ABOUT GIVING ALLY USERS AN OPTION ON ROMS. FOR A WHILE IT WAS ONLY VELOCITY THEN CAME RAPTOR BUT NO UPDATES IN A WHILE AND I RELEASED THIS. JUST TO BE KIND. IM SORRY YOUR PHONE DOESN'T SEEM TO LIKE THIS ROM. SWITCH TO VELOCITY OR RAPTOR THEN.. BUT DON'T BASH ME BECAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK ON YOUR PHONE. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE ROM THEN SIMPLY DON'T USE IT! READ THE THREAD NEXT TIME AND THE RELEASE NOTES. JUST DON'T BASH ME BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.

/END RANT

thanks blay, we posted around the same time ha ha.

Upvote 0
Okay everyone step back from the ledge.

The kernel is an overclocked kernel, is that incorrect? In my experience my phone does not handle over clocked kernels very well. For instance stock Raptor runs much more smoothly on my phone before I flash the overclock kernel for Raptor. I think a much better way to go about this is to release the ROM with a non-overclocked kernel and then give them the option to flash an overclocked kernel.

I guess my comment on innovation was unnecessary and for that I apologize. But I dont feel that I was out of line by posting my negative experience with this ROM. If I had a negative experience then I should be able to post that to the world. Were you simply expecting everyone to run back here and tell you how awesome you are?

Upvote 0
I have no problem with negative feedback. Especially if its constructive criticism. But the way you worded your last post was not constructive criticism. That is why i got defensive. I will work on a copy of this rom without the OC kernel built in. but this is not as simple as just swapping kernels. requires decompiling and recomping of the boot.img. but i can make that happen. just give me a few days.

Reactions: glock075
Upvote 0
Well I would agree, I'd definitely like to help pin point the problem but it happened so often. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I couldn't go 12 hours without a reboot. And it happened in a number of different situations (browsing the web, playing games, entering text, switching to landscape, you name it). It just did not seem stable.

Upvote 0
Having a bit of a problem... I used Clockwork Recovery to clear the 3 things, then used it to flash the rom. Everything went well, rebooted, went through the setup guide - and then booted into the phone. I then went to use the Clockwork to format my SD card - I still had stuff on there from before the install, and it rebooted to format the card. However now when I turn on the phone it is stuck in the custom loading animation.

Is there a way to salvage the phone from this point or did I effectively make a very expensive paperweight? I pulled the battery to save what life it has left since it won't charge when booting.

Upvote 0
Having a bit of a problem... I used Clockwork Recovery to clear the 3 things, then used it to flash the rom. Everything went well, rebooted, went through the setup guide - and then booted into the phone. I then went to use the Clockwork to format my SD card - I still had stuff on there from before the install, and it rebooted to format the card. However now when I turn on the phone it is stuck in the custom loading animation.

Is there a way to salvage the phone from this point or did I effectively make a very expensive paperweight? I pulled the battery to save what life it has left since it won't charge when booting.

when i first install this rom i was stuck to.. i thought it was stuck on that same animation.. and i kept on rebooting to see if it passes.. then i just waited to see if it was going to pass it and it did.. so sometimes it may take awhile for it to boot up.. still gathering all the info i assume.. but it works flawlessly...

Upvote 0
when i first install this rom i was stuck to.. i thought it was stuck on that same animation.. and i kept on rebooting to see if it passes.. then i just waited to see if it was going to pass it and it did.. so sometimes it may take awhile for it to boot up.. still gathering all the info i assume.. but it works flawlessly...

Well what I'm afraid of is that it loaded fine - I know the first time the ROM boots it's going to be slow. But after it loaded I used the Clockwork to formate the Micro SD card. So that's the part that has me worried - I assume that it wiped files the ROM needed on the SD card. I found a guide to unbrick an android phone I'm going to try then reflash.

Upvote 0
did you wipe sd:ext after formatting it? and set swap to 0?

okay I figured out holding Volume up + home + power on will boot into the Clockwork recovery. Is there a way for me to setup the SD card appropriately from there before I flash? I had set the swap to a larger number I don't recall the exact number but I know it wasn't 0.

Upvote 0
yes. just back up any information on your fat32 partition on the card and reformat the sd:ext and set swap to 0 and then wipe the sd:ext partition under mounts and storage

Okay at the risk of sounding like a total n00b, I used a card reader to back up my information, and format the card as Fat32. I then copied the ROM Zip to the formated card. If I insert the card - boot to the Clockwork Recover - will I be okay to just flash the rom onto the card formatted as Fat32 or will I need to mess with the partitions in the recovery console? I haven't had much luck with trying to figure out how to format them that way.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip.

When I run the check, I get:

Code:
Mount Point = /system/sd
Creating /cache/dc
Symlinking /cache/dalvik-cache to /data/dalvik-cache
Starting Apps2SD Check Program
Checking for ext partition
Ext partition found, but not mounted
Your rom may not be set up to run Apps2SD.
Any ideas why it's not mounting?

Thanks,
kyle5434

OK, I got things working. For the record, here's what I did:

1. From Rom Manager, rebooted into recovery mode
2. Formatted sd-ext
3. Rebooted
4. From the terminal emulator, ran a2sd check, and found it had (finally) successfully mounted the ext partition, and that the apps were still in ram
5. Per the instructions in the a2sd report, ran a2sd reinstall

At this stage the screen went black, blinked a couple of times, and reverted to the Home screen. At first I panicked, because Market was gone from the Home screen and the apps list, along with the apps I had downloaded. But after powering off and back on, all the apps were back in my apps list, and had been relocated to the SD card. And since then I've successfully installed many more apps to the SD card.

So thanks for all the tips.

kyle5434

Upvote 0
Okay at the risk of sounding like a total n00b, I used a card reader to back up my information, and format the card as Fat32. I then copied the ROM Zip to the formated card. If I insert the card - boot to the Clockwork Recover - will I be okay to just flash the rom onto the card formatted as Fat32 or will I need to mess with the partitions in the recovery console? I haven't had much luck with trying to figure out how to format them that way.

So I've been where you're at.. I (not putting on my windows vs Linux hat) didn't even think that despite the fact I formatted my card in FAT32, there was still an ext partition on there.. So when I formatted it and slammed it in the phone and loaded the ROM, I was having mass problems with backed up crap on that ext partition..

Sooo when I loaded up the card in Linux, tada! There's the ext partition and a bunch of load junk I didn't even remember backing up..

The end result was that death's procedure of using clockwork worked like a charm.. and/or I also removed the ext partition in Linux

** ALSO My 2 cents.. :eek: For those having problems and/or believing this ROM is sluggish/slow/quarky.. Just look at the 100+ postings of users noting how much faster/efficient it is.. Even in Beta this thing was (in my opinion) running way better than the others.. no offense to the makers of Velocity and Raptor.. To each onto their own... I've ran all three with a totally wiped/start from scratch LG Ally and thus far Punisher has had the least (if any) problems..

If you're having issues, take heart in knowing its probably some minor technical issue.. USE the forum to find the issue and start over.. :cool:

Carrying on All...

Reactions: death2all110
Upvote 0
So I've been where you're at.. I (not putting on my windows vs Linux hat) didn't even think that despite the fact I formatted my card in FAT32, there was still an ext partition on there.. So when I formatted it and slammed it in the phone and loaded the ROM, I was having mass problems with backed up crap on that ext partition..

Sooo when I loaded up the card in Linux, tada! There's the ext partition and a bunch of load junk I didn't even remember backing up..

The end result was that death's procedure of using clockwork worked like a charm.. and/or I also removed the ext partition in Linux

** ALSO My 2 cents.. :eek: For those having problems and/or believing this ROM is sluggish/slow/quarky.. Just look at the 100+ postings of users noting how much faster/efficient it is.. Even in Beta this thing was (in my opinion) running way better than the others.. no offense to the makers of Velocity and Raptor.. To each onto their own... I've ran all three with a totally wiped/start from scratch LG Ally and thus far Punisher has had the least (if any) problems..

If you're having issues, take heart in knowing its probably some minor technical issue.. USE the forum to find the issue and start over.. :cool:

Carrying on All...
Thanks glock075 for that useful post ;)

Upvote 0
Have been running this ROM for about 5 days now, and I'm loving it!

I can't believe my little Ally is performing as well as it ever has now.
Thanks for all the hard work I'm sure you put into creating this death2all110.

I was totally thinking about returning the Ally and waiting for a better deal at VZ that was within my price range...but think I'll hang on to this Ally now. :D

Upvote 0
Does anyone using Punisher have the GIngerbread for Eclair .zip file? I think it looks great, and would compliment punisher nicely, also i just got the Gingerbread keyboard (uber nice) and would like to complete the look.

snap20101220_171350.jpg

gingerbread keyboard can be found here: xda-developers

download the apk and install. I had the issue described in the link with small display, i followed the prescribed fix and it works great

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is too off topic, but is there a good reason for deodexing? Can it be undone (reodex'd?)? From what I understand, it's just for theming (an activity I don't do much of). However, I've seen noticeably higher responsiveness with a non-deodexed rom (when I was fiddling with making my own, personal rom, it seemed to gain a lot when I replaced all the system apps with stock apks and odexs). Could that have just been my imagination?

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
Sorry if this is too off topic, but is there a good reason for deodexing? Can it be undone (reodex'd?)? From what I understand, it's just for theming (an activity I don't do much of). However, I've seen noticeably higher responsiveness with a non-deodexed rom (when I was fiddling with making my own, personal rom, it seemed to gain a lot when I replaced all the system apps with stock apks and odexs). Could that have just been my imagination?

If anyone is interested, I've done a test. I found a script that RE-odexes a rom, and ran it on one of my roms. Main results:
- can't apply themes
- seems snappier (probably due to the next point)
- dalvik-cache is completely empty (lots of saved space, about 40MB I believe)

Why the last one? Because if you have a .odex file, you don't need to store the app's cache in dalvik-cache, the .odex file plays the role of that cache.

I, for one, am going to be re-odexing all my roms.

Reactions: flyinjoe13
Upvote 0
Just a confirmation. It seems that the Gingerbread for Eclair Theme for ZVC works very well with the Punisher. With the GB theme for ADW and the GB keyboard app my phone runs AMAZINGLY and looks super sharp.

So is anyone working on a gingerbread launcher port for 2.1? I saw one in the market, but it was based off of the drab grey version, not the green themed current version. Oh well, a boy can dream......

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones