• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Sleipnir v2.4.0.5 - 10/24/13 - VM & SPRINT

Thanks for the quick reply Dark One,

Is this a bug in this ROM, is there a way to avoid this after installing ROM

As far as I've been able to tell, it isn't necessary to reset anything (like data) by inputting your MSL. Resetting your data's usage as it has been reported to Virgin Mobile, or Sprint, is illegal, and otherwise doesn't appear to be beneficial. I've never gotten that to work without issues on any ROM I've used, though everyone's experience is a little different. If this is a bug, however, you can bet that I'll do all I can to get it fixed! :)

Upvote 0
After installing Sleiphir ROM, is there is a way to remove this custom recovery part from it, so in-case if we do a factory reset, it not going to brick the phone

You can, and it isn't installed with Sleipnir, but here's why you shouldn't remove a custom recovery unless you're going to resell the phone (or it wasn't installed properly the first time):

The factory reset issue only comes up when trying to do it through entering in your MSL through the LG Hidden Programming Menu, and possibly through System Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Reset.

Performing a factory reset through ClockWorkMod should not cause any sort of error, at least theoretically. Even if it does, just manually wipe /data and /cache - that won't present you with any errors, and achieves the same end.

You will want to have a custom recovery installed, if for no other reason, because of Nandroid backups - if something goes awry, you can restore to an earlier point like System Restore on PCs.

All of this, plus being able to flash ROMs and updates to ROMs, makes it a wiser decision to keep a custom recovery on, than to take one off. Personally, even on stock, out of the box, factory reset through the phone's System Settings menus didn't work for me. Rebooting into the stock recovery to do so, worked just fine.

Hopefully that helps :)

Upvote 0
i'm having issues with speed. firstly, it takes sooo long to boot up, at least 3 minutes to boot, is that normal?

second, after a while, it just starts acting really slow. i'll kill some apps that are running in the background and it will speed up a little more, but then those apps just automatically start up again and i'm back to a bogged down, slow phone.

what can i do to get usable speeds and keep those speeds?

Upvote 0
i'm having issues with speed. firstly, it takes sooo long to boot up, at least 3 minutes to boot, is that normal?

second, after a while, it just starts acting really slow. i'll kill some apps that are running in the background and it will speed up a little more, but then those apps just automatically start up again and i'm back to a bogged down, slow phone.

what can i do to get usable speeds and keep those speeds?

Those are good questions!
  1. With regard to the initial boot-up, that is normal and has been acknowledged before in this thread and in these boards in the past. When you wipe the dalvik-cache, on any ROM (even stock), the phone needs to re-build the dalvik-cache from scratch and therefore takes longer to complete an initial boot. However, subsequent reboots should be lightning-fast as long as the dalvik-cache is not wiped.

To quote the FAQ-Guide for CWM:
    Artine said:
    "When Android starts up, the DalvikVM looks through all of your applications (.apk files) and frameworks, and builds a tree of dependencies. It uses this dependency tree to optimize the bytecode for every application and stores it in the Dalvik cache. The applications are then run using the optimized bytecode. This is why when you install a new ROM, sometimes it takes a very long time to boot for the first time. Any time an application (or framework library) changes, it's reoptimized and the cache is updated." (Source found here.)

As a result, for both new ROM installs and ROM updates, it is vital that the dalvik cache be wiped/formatted/erased. It is recommended to to this twice, as some information in the cache may be leftover from an initial wipe and may still cause issues with /system.
    That information was found with a little Google magic :)
  2. Did you verify the MD5sum for the proper ROM .zip for your carrier, after you put it on your phone, to make sure its an identical copy to what was uploaded?
  3. Did you tune the CPU? If not, I would recommend doing that. Ideal settings in the OP ;)
  4. If all else fails, you may wish to try keeping your user apps in check - one of them might be bogging down the phone by eating up RAM in the background, whereas most apps will have their processes ended automatically after a period of inactivity.
Hope that helps! :)

Upvote 0
i installed the slepnir last week. Today i cant make calls or send messages. Data works fine.Has anyone else seen this problem?

ignore.. vms network was down in my area. Nothing to do with the rom. By the way if you guys want to check out outages in your area this site is really helpful
Current outages at Sprint | Down Detector

Reactions: brakedown
Upvote 0
I didn't restore any data. No titanium backup, no advanced restore from recovery, no restore from google servers.

It's a fresh flash after wiping system/data/cache and dalvik cache. I used setcpu to set the cpu to 1gz max, and 3**mhz min, The md5 of the downloaded zip matched the one in the OP (virgin mobile).

What triggered the non-stop booting was when I enabled samba fileshare using the app from play. It froze when the supersu popup would normally show. And then it rebooted, and would keep rebooting.

EDIT:

The problem was samba fileshare app. When it enables, it would cause a reboot. And the app's "wifi whitelist" feature was causing it to enable every time the wifi connects to my home network. That gave it the appearance of an un-ending boot loop.

I've since wiped the data partition, reinstalled all my apps except for samba fileshare, and things seem to have become stable.

Upvote 0
Hey all
Thanks for the ROM, everything seems to be working right except I can't send or receive mms :(. I'm on Sprint. Is there something I need to do to enable MMS?
thanks

Make sure your "^V" data is enabled* I cant send or recieve pics through MMS unless Data 1x-3g is on - doesnt matter if im connected to comcast wifi... Data must be on for the way the data is delivered.

& if you get 0 bars at your house like me your kinda screwed lol -

"Hey Artine" check it > my phone has 14 days under warranty and it wont connect usb to my pc to flash back to stock LOL!

PC doesnt see it at all - charges fine though.. possibly a broken pin or in plug socket that allows send/recieve of data:thinking: oh well-
I xfer roms to sdcard via my optimus V :rolleyes: then flash on the Optimus unElite

going samsung from now on. hopefully ill see ya over there.

Upvote 0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replies!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

I can't wait for the final release of sleipnir. It would be cool if the boot up image was the horse and it would blow green smoke out the nose like the pic at the top of the thread :)

You know what? That's an awesome idea. :)

Possible Bug? Just had this happen to me. A friend texted a bunch of us (one message to 5 people). I was able to see his message. However, when the others replied, I got blank text messages. The others were able to see the body of the reply texts. Was able to reproduce it every time. Anyone else have this issue?

That is certainly strange, and in the past there were some issued with the stock messaging app reported by users on even the stock ROM, concerning group texts (especially so if any of the phones send the group texts were using an iPhone). What messaging app are you using? Have you tried any others? Chomp SMS seems to be the leading success story with proper handling of group texts.

ignore.. vms network was down in my area. Nothing to do with the rom. By the way if you guys want to check out outages in your area this site is really helpful
Current outages at Sprint | Down Detector

Thanks for the feedback and the helpful tool!

I used this ROM for at least 2 months and I loved it. Something happened and it started rebooting. I flashed it fresh again and it just keeps rebooting. I really want it to work again. Any tips?

Glad to hear that you were enjoying the ROM, and that issue isn't good! There are plenty of tips, many mentioned in this thread already :) It sounds like either /data was corrupted by an app, or the internal SD card. The solution to that is long and can be a bit messy, but before we begin:
  1. Do you remember what happened just prior to the issue occurring - such as an app updating over Wi-Fi or 3G, while playing a game?
  2. After the issue happened, did you only flash the ROM .zip file again, to no avail, or were there more steps?
    • If there were more steps, what were they?
  3. Between then and now, were you able to figure out the problem, or does it still persist?
I had the same problem just don't restore ur data nd if u do and its to much for gb to handle it will constantly reboot

Restoring data should work, provided the step-by-step guide for doing so is followed. It doesn't work for all OEs, but a vast majority of them nonetheless.

The problem was samba fileshare app. When it enables, it would cause a reboot. And the app's "wifi whitelist" feature was causing it to enable every time the wifi connects to my home network. That gave it the appearance of an un-ending boot loop.

I've since wiped the data partition, reinstalled all my apps except for samba fileshare, and things seem to have become stable.

It sounds like some wires got crossed after it requested SuperUser permissions - it may be that it wasn't expecting to get a hold before being given a Y/N from SU, and froze accordingly. Have you tried using Samba, with SU set to automatically allow that app SU permissions?

Make sure your "^V" data is enabled* I cant send or recieve pics through MMS unless Data 1x-3g is on - doesnt matter if im connected to comcast wifi... Data must be on for the way the data is delivered.

& if you get 0 bars at your house like me your kinda screwed lol -

"Hey Artine" check it > my phone has 14 days under warranty and it wont connect usb to my pc to flash back to stock LOL!

PC doesnt see it at all - charges fine though.. possibly a broken pin or in plug socket that allows send/recieve of data:thinking: oh well-
I xfer roms to sdcard via my optimus V :rolleyes: then flash on the Optimus unElite

going samsung from now on. hopefully ill see ya over there.

Indeed - MMS will always require a Mobile Data connection, anywhere from 1X - 4G WiMax/LTE. I imagine MMS could be sent over Wi-Fi just fine, but the carriers do need a monopoly somewhere in there, so that's disallowed.

Lol, that is weird about the lack of connectivity to your PC. My best guess would be to re-install the LG drivers, and see if that works :) Re-flashing the ROM couldn't hurt (you wouldn't need to wipe anything the uninstaller doesn't already take care of), and if all else fails another MicroUSB -> USB cable should work. Unlike with Samsung, generic cables should work fine usually. Without further ado...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
  1. Unfortunately, thanks to the magic of H2O, I no longer have an Optimus Elite. My girlfriend, on the other hand, still has hers. I tried out the Samsung Galaxy Reverb, but couldn't get the screen to stop freezing until a battery pull was done (which is a common bug with that phone, essentially making it completely worthless). That was a deal breaker. I have since moved onto the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE, adore it, and do plan on developing for it :) In fact, I already have a name picked out, other ROMs downloaded, analyzed the updater-script and a bunch of the internal workings, weeding out bloatware, etc.

TL;DR: The next device I am moving to/have moved to, and will develop for, is the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE.
  2. @saidiadude; thank you for the question about the gps.conf file being easily editable. That prompted me to do a plethora of research, and I think I have a good idea of what the problem was. I compared the edited file, to the stock file, and those two were then compared to a different modified gps.conf file found on a thread over on XDA-Developers. I've made several changes, and the result will either be that GPS will be broken completely (unlikely, but probable), or that we should get the best of both worlds (hopefully).
  3. My sincerest apologies for the two week lapse of time for activity - I was laid off from my job on the 7th, so the last two weeks have been rather hectic unfortunately. We're doing okay, though, so minimal worries :)
  4. I tried for quite some time to see if I could get the Swipe Notifications feature implemented, to no avail - either there would be an infinite number of force closes, or the entire UI would be mashed down into the app row on the home screen, neither of which made any sense. If someone wants to give the implementation of this feature a shot, feel free and let me know how that goes!
  5. I'm shooting for tomorrow for the semi-final release of Sleipnir. It will contain:
    • A modified gps.conf file.
    • Updated Play Store.
    • A stab at symlinking the dalvik-cache to /cache (previously didn't work, because there wasn't init.d support from the kernel). - Upon further research, it appears as though symlinking the cache would cause issues in and of itself. *sigh*
    • Should be a system settings button/link in the notifications panel.
    • I'll also see about getting busybox and SuperSU updated too.

Fingers crossed!
  6. The remnants of my to-do list, for those curious:
    • Update Project Mayhem, correct download links.
    • Update Hydra.
    • Deodexed Sprint build.
    • Sleipnir wifi-only.
    • MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 for everything. - Done!
    • New boot animation - horse head, green fire/smoke (if I can get it figured out, I'll make it happen).
Addendum

Sorry that this post is not, well, light reading. I want to thank everyone in the community again for all of your support, patience, and feedback. You have all been wonderful, helped to create this ROM, and if you need any help just let me know - my PM inbox has quite a bit of room to fill :D

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Wow, very sorry to hear about your job loss. Everything else is secondary, so take care of your family. Best wishes for finding a new job, coming your way!

Sorry to hear about your phone as well. This is going to hurt us much more than you as we will lose a very talented and gracious developer :-(

- Great news about the GPS - thanks very much for digging further. Hope it works out as you've described under the best case scenario.

- Text message app: I'm using the generic one that came with Sleipnir. I'll try ChompSMS as you suggested. Would it be worth putting Chomp in your Sleipnir build?

Once again, sorry to hear about the job loss. Take care of yourself and your family.

BTW, Cyanogen just received some funding. I'm sure they'd love to hire a talented developer such as you, especially after they see your track record on this ROM (hint hint if anyone from Cyanogen is reading this post).

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones