• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Viper4G 4.0.0 and beyond

Hiya...

I seem to have a problem...but now might be OK...??

Downloaded and installed 3.0.1 through the "install" option in TWRP 2.4.0.0 recovery. Did not do anything custom...

Process with full wipe ran, said install was successful, rebooted phone, HOWEVER, never made it to the home screen. Instead got the following message:

Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped
I had the option to hit "OK" but just went right back to the above message. Screen would turn off and go to sleep. When I would wake the phone with the power button, I would still see the above message.

THEN, on its own, the phone rebooted to the Viper bootup screen that I saw after the flash of the ROM. After this 2nd reboot following the continuous error message above, the phone reached the home screen!

Is this "normal"?? If not, any explanation what happened or need to be concerned??

Gonna reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup and see...

THANKS!

Upvote 0
Try doing the wipe in twrp and not the aroma wipe

So, boot into recovery, wipe data through TWRP, then install the ROM without wiping in the flash options??

And I have another issue...but seemed to work the second time I tried after a reboot.

At first, I couldn't seem to add a Google account. Type in account name and password, says "sign in successful" and I have option to sync various items (contacts, calendar, etc.). I click next/OK...wait...and then account it NOT indicated.

I then rebooted, tried again, and it worked...!!??

I think I'm going to reflash the ROM...

Upvote 0
Just in a quick hurry free my phone...

Some initial process will bail and complain on the startup, due to the rom not chatting with HTC, please see the XDA thread FAQ, that's normal and ok.

The installer includes the super-wipe equivalent, no worries trusting it and skipping the TWRP wipe.

Upvote 0
When this Rom was first launched I was wiping in TWRP, then wiping in the installer. Seemed to make weird things happen. It doesn't make sense to me, but once I stopped wiping from the recovery and I let the Viper installer handle it, it all worked flawlessly. :thinking:

Interesting...I only had problems with the Viper installer (twice) and didn't have a problem wiping first in TWRP. Well, "didn't have a problem" is relative because, as you know, I erased my entire Titanium Backup folder on the internal storage!! :D:D

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone.

I am ready to go to this new version. I believe I should update my firmware/radios first. I have never updated radios on this phone before. I am s-off and hboot 1.15.

I just want to confirm that I can use the full firmware zip that is at the top of the mikmik page (where the link here sends me). There is some stuff at the top of that page that makes me wonder if I have to be hboot 1.12 to use this, but I think it is also true that if you are s-off, your hboot version doesn't matter. I was raised in the public school system, so I don't always trust my reading comprehension skills.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone.

I am ready to go to this new version. I believe I should update my firmware/radios first. I have never updated radios on this phone before. I am s-off and hboot 1.15.

I just want to confirm that I can use the full firmware zip that is at the top of the mikmik page (where the link here sends me). There is some stuff at the top of that page that makes me wonder if I have to be hboot 1.12 to use this, but I think it is also true that if you are s-off, your hboot version doesn't matter. I was raised in the public school system, so I don't always trust my reading comprehension skills.

Thanks!

Yes, the one at the top of the page is the most recent update. it's listed as 3.16.651.3 JellyBean OTA - LATEST.

Download the file and rename it to PJ75IMG.zip exactly, place on the root of the SD card (not in any folders). Power down, and do the volume down and power button combo to get to the bootloader. Volume up to update, reboot. :)

Your hboot version won't matter. You're s-off so flash away. Just remember with the firmware on themikmik, ALWAYS upgrade never downgrade. That turns your phone into a brick.

Correct, S-off is S-off, is S-off. :p

Brickage can occur with downgrading firmware, do not attempt. I believe the Cap'n posted it is possible within a certain set of rules / environment, but for the average user (me) it'll end poorly. :(

Upvote 0
Oops! Updated the radios and now the phone won't turn on or even recognize being plugged into the charger.:eek::(

I'm guessing this is my first brick...

WHAT!! :eek:

Did you skip any firmware updates inbetween?

There is a problem trying to update to the latest firmware if you didn't load the one before. I was not aware of that previously.

I'm sorry BigE, I feel like crap now. :(

Upvote 0
I downloaded the latest radios but was having problems, took 5 tries just to download. The phone has been acting very weird lately, download issues, placing calls on it's own while I am in a call using Bluetooth with the phone sitting on my console, signal for everything has gone to nothing, time and location issues, all kinds of problems!

No worries, I know the dangers, actually surprised this is my first, I started with the Hero.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the latest radios but was having problems, took 5 tries just to download. The phone has been acting very weird lately, download issues, placing calls on it's own while I am in a call using Bluetooth with the phone sitting on my console, signal for everything has gone to nothing, time and location issues, all kinds of problems!

No worries, I know the dangers, actually surprised this is my first, I started with the Hero.

That's total crap BigE, sorry. I know Iowa is selling his LTE, might want to get in contact with him.

On topic.
3.0.1 load ended in epic fail. Wiped within aroma installer, full install. Wiped dalvik and cache before loading #fapple. Booted up fine, worked great until I tried to restore with Titanium. Would not restore for anything.

Complete wipe and reload within Arima, this time I did not install #fapple. Loaded fine booted fine, seemed ok. Wrong!
Epic wakelock problems, titanium wouldn't load again. Then after a few hours screen wouldn't wake up when power is pressed. Complete dead.

Did a forced power cycle and volume down to get to bootloader, restored my 2.x nand. All is fine now.

I'm going to redownload the Rom, and start fresh again.

Upvote 0
Sorry to heat that, I'm sure you were looking forward it as much as I was.

I am trying to figure out which way to go since I have to get something today, this is my business phone and I can't afford to be down even for a few hours.

I have insurance that I keep for loss, theft or accidental damage but this was my fault so it looks like I will be stuck paying full price for a new one. My experience with the Evo radios may push me into a an S3 or Note 2.

Upvote 0
3.0.1 load ended in epic fail. Wiped within aroma installer, full install. Wiped dalvik and cache before loading #fapple. Booted up fine, worked great until I tried to restore with Titanium. Would not restore for anything.

Complete wipe and reload within Arima, this time I did not install #fapple. Loaded fine booted fine, seemed ok. Wrong!
Epic wakelock problems, titanium wouldn't load again. Then after a few hours screen wouldn't wake up when power is pressed. Complete dead.

Did a forced power cycle and volume down to get to bootloader, restored my 2.x nand. All is fine now.

I'm going to redownload the Rom, and start fresh again.

I had problems too with 3.0.1!

I wrote above in this thread that I was experiencing what seemed like a "bootloop" after install and phone processes that were stopping. I couldn't even get to the home screen. I was able to force-power down and get back into recovery to reboot but still problems. Rxpert83 suggested wiping in TWRP rather than only through the installer (though EarlyMon soon thereafter indicated that some of what I was experiencing was "normal" with the phone not being happy with communications while the ROM loaded/settled in).

I did what you did...flashed a recent 2.0.2 nand and was back to where I started. Wiped in TWRP pursuant to Rxpert's suggestion and then tried to flash 3.0.1 again. Was NOT too smooth...different problems this time...took forever to get to home screen! I knew the phone was on but there was NOTHING on the screen...just like the "perimeter glow" of the LCD when I viewed at certain angles. At this point I had yet to see the Viper startup splash animations I was expecting so I force-shutdown/rebooted and also tried recovery with cache wipes...still nothing!:thinking::thinking:

I then got back into recovery and reflashed the room (with ONLY the install wipe I believe) and THAT worked finally! Been up and running for day and half and seem to be OK....???:D

When I just had the phone "on" without NOTHING but the black glowing perimeter screen, perhaps I could have just left it and it would have eventually booted. It was just a VERY long time...probably 15 minutes or nothing...that I didn't think was right. My re-flash in recovery seemed to have down the trick...or perhaps I just got lucky! :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones