• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
For those who didn't experience the Droid X community I can kind of sum up what you can expect to see. First off there will likely be two kinds of ROMS for the Bionic. 2Init and Blur-Based

2init roms will be a custom Kernel and closer to what you expect running a custom rom. This means enhancements such as unique lockscreens, power control widgets in the notification bar, free wireless tethering, and other stuff you see in CM7. Pretty much everything written by motorola will be gone from these builds.

Blur-based roms will be based on the stock kernel. Because of this they will lack the major changes found in CM7 but will still be missing all the bloat, will have their own custom themes, animations, etc.

From my experiences with the Droid X, 2init roms tend to be worse on battery life but better on features. They also tend to have more bugs. But a good build team like Cyanogen tends to get those taken care of very quickly.

Blur roms are usually more stable with better battery life, but tend to keep alot of motorola blur apps (such as dialer, gallery, camera, etc.)

It's possible that blur based roms might not even make an appearance because they came about before 2init existed. However I'm sure someone will make one and it will be fast and great :)

Upvote 0
For those who didn't experience the Droid X community I can kind of sum up what you can expect to see. First off there will likely be two kinds of ROMS for the Bionic. 2Init and Blur-Based

2init roms will be a custom Kernel and closer to what you expect running a custom rom. This means enhancements such as unique lockscreens, power control widgets in the notification bar, free wireless tethering, and other stuff you see in CM7. Pretty much everything written by motorola will be gone from these builds.

Blur-based roms will be based on the stock kernel. Because of this they will lack the major changes found in CM7 but will still be missing all the bloat, will have their own custom themes, animations, etc.

From my experiences with the Droid X, 2init roms tend to be worse on battery life but better on features. They also tend to have more bugs. But a good build team like Cyanogen tends to get those taken care of very quickly.

Blur roms are usually more stable with better battery life, but tend to keep alot of motorola blur apps (such as dialer, gallery, camera, etc.)

It's possible that blur based roms might not even make an appearance because they came about before 2init existed. However I'm sure someone will make one and it will be fast and great :)

Yeah, I'd like some sort of hybrid. I love the stock Motorola stuff, to a point of course.

I'd replace the launcher with something with 5 icons on the bottom, but that's just me.

Upvote 0
I'd integrate LPP's scrolling dock, and maybe the ability to take it to 7 screens, but other than that, I have to say...

I hated BLAH when it first came out. It made me soooooooooooo thankful that I had a vanilla DROID for a phone, even when it started lagging behind in power, speed and memory. On this phone, though, and I've tried, I've really truly tried to hate it, but, ....

Nope, I can't hate it. In fact, I'm rather fond of it. This is a well matured UI, not some half-arsed slapped together bloat that kills your phone.

And I of all people should know - I have downloaded 188 apps, for a total of 420 apps in TiBu when making backups, and I have under 290 MB free of running RAM at any given moment :p

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any idea what other developers might/will be working on Bionic ROMs. There were so many choices with the OG Droid.

So far these are the developers that are already or that I've seen say they are going to develop for the bionic. I'm sure there's more.

P3droid
CVPCS
BBCrackman
Kejar31
Kejar31/Jrummy together (possibly)

Upvote 0
I'd integrate LPP's scrolling dock, and maybe the ability to take it to 7 screens, but other than that, I have to say...

I hated BLAH when it first came out. It made me soooooooooooo thankful that I had a vanilla DROID for a phone, even when it started lagging behind in power, speed and memory. On this phone, though, and I've tried, I've really truly tried to hate it, but, ....

Nope, I can't hate it. In fact, I'm rather fond of it. This is a well matured UI, not some half-arsed slapped together bloat that kills your phone.

And I of all people should know - I have downloaded 188 apps, for a total of 420 apps in TiBu when making backups, and I have under 290 MB free of running RAM at any given moment :p

Seriously, I keep trying to use LP and Go Launcher since that's the only thing I used on my OG, but I keep coming back to the Blur launcher :eek:
The widgets are great, the dock at the bottom keeps everything I need there, and I really don't care about a vertical app drawer. Moto really did a fine job not keeping this too intrusive.

Upvote 0
OK, one other thing - with LPP, most times if I opened the app drawer after opening it previously, it kept my place in memory - I have 13 screens of apps on my BIONIC, and it is a bit annoying that it always starts at the beginning....

And the dock is not scrollable - I have 12 apps I use daily - that scrolling dock was a god send....

Upvote 0
I keep switching back and forth too. I am accustomed to LPP from my OG Droid, but I kinda like the Blur. Maybe I need to get used to the Blur b/c from what I have been reading I can get better battery life with a Blur-based rom and that is important to me.

you are not stuck with blur apps on a blur rom, I used go launcher on shuji on cm7

Reactions: Jeffery
Upvote 0
Pete won't change his mind. He's like that. He thinks it's too much of a headache for him.

I can say this - Pete knows me and that I donate to worthy devs. If he doesn't develop for the BIONIC and someone else does, well, they'll get my donation.

If he decides to change his mind at a later point in time, b/c of unlocked bootloader and / or b/c 2init works flawlessly and / or for whatever other reason, well, his tough luck.

he wants to avoid a device then I, as said device user, want to avoid him.

Upvote 0
I am still looking daily to see if there is a CM7 yet, but no joy. I thought with the rapid development of the root and recovery capabilities that a custom rom would be right on their heels. I will keep waiting, patiently, for that and the update of the rom manager app to welcome the Bionic to the real world. Patiently.

Keep in mind they are working hard on CM7 for the HP Touchpad as well. And they won't release anything until it is acceptable with minimal bugs. I would rather have it done right than fast. :D

(Oh and I cannot WAIT for my touchpad to boot up CM7!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones