• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root RootAthon

argedion

The TechnoFrog
Jun 20, 2011
The Infernal Swamp
I Pledge this here by an Official ROOTATON Thread.

1. Reason for Rooting?

2. Favorite thing about being rooted?

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?

1- Originally to get rid of Bloatware.
I had enough apps then already that i knew if i could clean out the /system/app folder that I could install apps as System that I had replaced then I would have good memory left however that constituted being rooted.
I read Oceans very well wrote out guide and the rest is history.

2- I am in control of the phone
I love flashing what I want when I want. I also love the control it gives me over what looks like what. I can tweak under the hood now and make it act bigger better faster more.

3- every chance I get.
Plain and Simple philosophy. I would not have learned if someone else had not taught.

1. Reason for Rooting?

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?

1) Why do I root now? Complete control over my device. S-OFF baby :D
1a)Why did I first root my first android device? Because it was so easy. I was reading up on how to root the OG EVO and before I knew it, it was done. I didnt even really know the benefits of root until it happened. After that it was "well lets see what all the fuss is about"

2) Being able to flash JB ROMS well ahead of HTC's update schedule

3) I'd like to think I do :thinking: Although we see a lot of the same faces here as we did from the OG, and many have already got everything figured out by now :D

Upvote 0

1. Reason for Rooting?

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?

1- Originally to get rid of Bloatware.
I had enough apps then already that i knew if i could clean out the /system/app folder that I could install apps as System that I had replaced then I would have good memory left however that constituted being rooted.
I read Oceans very well wrote out guide and the rest is history.

2- I am in control of the phone
I love flashing what I want when I want. I also love the control it gives me over what looks like what. I can tweak under the hood now and make it act bigger better faster more.

3- every chance I get.
Plain and Simple philosophy. I would not have learned if someone else had not taught.

1. i originally had the hero as my very first smart phone. though as good as it was for what it was, i was not really happy with it. i eventually got the evo 4g as an early upgrade. man was i happy with it. but as time went on and a few ota's later i had it up to here with the added bloatware sprint added. when i got nova as a game i did not want, that was when i decided to root the phone. and sort of like argedion i used matlock's original guide to get my root on:D. i was so happy with my new freedom afterwards i never looked back.

2. and just the freedom it has given to me and my phone. plus it unleashed the beast that was and still is, the og evo. it gave my performance and battery life that an unrooted phone could never do. i'm looking forward to do the same with my shiny new el tevo.

3.absolutely. i always try and pay it forward as much as i can. i was in the very same shoes most of you all started out in so i know what it was/is like. and if it wasn't for folks like azakabam, matlock, early mon, and novoxx77 i would not know what i know now. so please guys, try and pay it forward whenever possible. it is what makes AF the best place to be.

Upvote 0
Good Point the Forums

4. Why do you come here? (Forums)

Community that I have found here is second to none. PHASES has done a great job Managing and the MODS do a great job MODDING, and the GUIDES well GUIDING. I love this community of great knowledgeable and fun group of people. I thrive for the old days when you came in and conversation was around everywhere. Could barely answer a question before getting a new one.

Upvote 0
1)

3) I'd like to think I do :thinking: Although we see a lot of the same faces here as we did from the OG, and many have already got everything figured out by now :D

much i have not figured out but it hasn't been a big deal to me YET. Your the guy I go to for JB stuff I know your keeping up. Me I'm in my own self secure little world just playing around and having fun. Authors of time have penciled me as being boring :rolleyes::D:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

1. Reason for Rooting?

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?

4. Why do you come here?

1. I originally did it to remove bloatware. But then I learned of all the incredible benefits of being rooted. Now root is a must for me.

2. Flashing new ROMs all the time! I love seeing all of the different tweaks and whatnot. Plus playing with the latest and greatest ROMs like Jelly Bean ROMs.

3. I do whenever I can. I'm not that knowledgeable, but I have messed up a lot. So I've learned a bit from you guys and all of my mistakes. Whenever I can help someone avoid or fix similar mistakes I gladly help.

4. I like the people here. Everybody is very nice and always extremely helpful. Plus I like finding out about new ROMs.

Upvote 0
1. My first Android was an OG Droid, which had no bloatware, but I loved the idea of flashing ROMs and completely changing the look and feel of my phone. Now I do it for complete control of my phone, and yes, to get rid of bloatware.

2. My favorite thing about being rooted is the sheer amount of customizability. I've now got practically every facet of my phone set to my own personal needs and specifications.

3. I help with what I can when I can, but I'm far from the most experienced around here. Although I've been in the Android game since 2.0, the breadth of my knowledge does not compare to the depth that many members here have when it comes to the technical aspects of rooting.

4. Why post here? Because this forum rocks, that's why! Helpful people, fair and reasonable mods, and tons of knowledge available. There's simply no better place for Android users to go.

Upvote 0
1. I was tired of sitting on the sidelines and decided it was time to get the full android experience :)

2. I haven't gotten too deep into things.. Yet... But the wifi tether is pretty dang sweet. Now I can use my THRiVE everywhere :D

3. I help where I can.. I am honestly the one doing the learning right now. But I totally agree with the pay it forward mindset.

4. This is the best forum experience I have ever had. Everyone here is so nice and easy going. Yeah there are arguments but everyone is bound to have their own opinions. This forum is just awesome and I wouldn't have been able to root or do many other things without it.

Upvote 0
1. My first Android phone was the Moment. I really disliked that it came with bloatware that I could not remove, and the battery life was horrible! By the time I heard about rooting it, it seemed like there wasn't much point in it because I was going to pick up and Evo and root it! BUT, I took the OTA before I knew it was an issue and had to wait to root it. The night Ocn put the Revolutionary guide up, I was about to go to bed, saw that I could now root my Evo, and spent the next 2 hours or so messing with the phone. So much for bed... :D

2. I really do like having the freedom to tinker with my phone. I like being able to remove bloat, enhance performance and slightly mod and theme it. I really get a kick out of seeing what people are going to come up with next as far as improving various aspects of it. Some AWESOME people out there!

3. Ocn deeply impressed the 'pay it forward' idea into our heads on the OG Evo forum. I'll help anybody I can, anyway, but it is really cool to be involved with a place where it is cultural! :) I haven't delved deeply into the technical aspects and I don't remember the details of half of what I have heard or read about, but if someone needs the answer to a question I know something about, I won't let them wait too long. :) I know how it feels to need help, it is great to have it show up when you are stuck!

4. I enjoy the helpful and friendly atmosphere of the forum. This is a great place to learn and find out about new apps and roms and fixes.

This is what I thought the internet was going to be like when I went to my first aol chatroom, respect and a pooling of knowledge and experience... :thinking: NOT! :p We mostly get it right here and it is an honor to be involved in that.

Upvote 0
ok so i'll do one for the evo lte since my last comment was for my og evo.

1.i ultimately wanted to get me some candy and try Jelly Bean on the phone.

2.the fact that i am on JB when it is not officially released for this phone is awesome and naughty. plus i can change the bootloader so that no one will know that i'm rooted is pretty cool as well. plus i like to overclock my phone, can't do that on stock.

3.and i try to when i can. i guess that is the same answer as i gave the first time around.

4.and i love my AF family

Upvote 0
Now with this phone. It was a no brainer I had this rooted within the first half hour. My Reasons were selfish and pure but simple. I wanted to control my phone. That goes to what is on it to how it looks and feels and I knew if I wanted that control I would need to do it while the phone was still virgin. Doing so kept me from getting hboot 1.15 I have 1.12 and can do what I like in recovery. No work arounds and no more exploit waiting.

I enjoy that its my phone and I can run a deoxed stock ROM or a JB ROM I am in control of it. I also love messing with the splash screen

Not as much As I used to. I do at times but only if i'm absolutely sure of what I'm doing. I haven't kept up with this phone as well as I did the OG EVO.

see this

Upvote 0
1. Reason for Rooting?
Ever since my Treo 700w, with its 32MB RAM (<--I know, right?), I've felt constrained by lack of features/upgrades on my device. So, that started my search into ways to *unofficially* upgrade my device, which led me to XDA. Then, my love of HTC devices grew, and I moved on to those, learned about HardSPL, and how it unlocked the full potential of my device. Ever since then, I've been determined to do that with every future device I get. I'm just glad LTE #4 came with the 1.12 HBOOT :).

I like the customization and optimization of the available custom ROMs. I like being able to run Google Now on ICS, and I like being able to run JellyBean (CM10) when it hasn't even been realized for our device yet ;).

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?
I try, though I feel like most of my help is by making mistakes with my device so others don't have to :eek:.

4. Why do you come here? (Forums)
I haven't been around as much lately, but these forums have some of the nicest and most helpful people on them. Everyone does their best to help out. I'll have to make it a point to be around more frequently.

Upvote 0
Ok, here I go now:

1. Customizing, tinkering, better performance. I love to change stuff around, keeps things super fresh. ;)

2. NANDroid capability. I have a tendancy of pushing things a little so I usually break stuff somewhere along the lines. also see #1 above.

3. I try when I have time to be around. I'm not the most knowledgable, sometimes just being there for someone who's panicking is more helpful than actually solving the issue. :)

4. My internets family of course. ;) best community IMHO.

I came here for help with my Hero, and I was so blown away by the way things worked around here, I couldn't help but stick around. Once I got the OG Evo, it was over. :D

Upvote 0

1. Reason for Rooting?

3. DO YOU HELP OTHERS?

1. Jelly Bean! I never understood the beauty of vanilla Android builds until I got a Nexus 7 tablet. The pure Android experience is so much better than Sense 4.0 (IMO, YMMV) for a variety of reasons that I eventually had to switch over. Google Now is excellent on the Nexus 7 -- but even more effective on a device is that is always data-connected.

2. Backups. I love having the feeling that I can usually restore my phone if something goes terribly wrong. I also love being able to dig through the wealth of information out there, and see a community that is so willing to help each other out. It's definitely a refreshing.

3. I'm more on the "learning" stage than the "teaching" stage now, but I certainly will eventually do my part to help others whenever/wherever I can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones