• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rooted] Alternative backup software

flipboot

Lurker
Jun 30, 2015
Hi,

A few weeks ago my phone fell into the pool. It can't be repaired so I bought a second hand one; it's an HTC one just like the one that went into the pool. While searching for a replacement I used an old phone, an HTC desire. Sadly android made a backup of the HTC desire and so I lost my backup of the HTC One.
Luckily I made a backup of my old HTC One prior to my holiday, using HTC Sync manager.

So now I'm trying to restore the backup to the new HTC One. Problem is that this HTC One is rooted and HTC sync manager can't connect to rooted phones (according to their own support people.) I tried and failed to unroot; people at the repair shop failed to unroot as well.

The only suggestion I'm getting at this point (besides replacing the motherboard which will cost 300 euro) is to use a thirth-party software. I can't find any that will be able to restore the backup HTC sync manager made.

Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.
flip

What exactly did you do to unroot it?

The reliable way would be to use a RUU (ROM Update Utility), but if the phone is S-On (which you can see from the top of the hboot screen) it would have to be one with the correct cid (region and branding) and containing firmware at least as new as what is currently installed. So if you can tell us that information, we can see whether we can find a suitable RUU.

If you are not sure of the cid (which if it is second-hand is quite possible), the certain way of finding out is to set up fastboot on a computer (this thread has information about that), putting the phone into fastboot mode (from the bootloader), connecting to the computer via usb and then using the command "fastboot getvar all". One of the pieces of information it will return is the "cidnum" - if you can tell us that we can find an RUU that will work for your phone.

Upvote 0
I did nothing to unroot it. I never rooted any of my phones, never cared for it. So I know nothing about how to root or unroot a phone. That said; I search the net to see how to unroot. I found a site that explained it all. I had to download a RUU, but got lost in all the different RUU's, just didn't know which one to choose. So I stopped and went to the repair shop. They didn't succeed in unrooting as well; I don't know what they did or didn't try.

I don't know if the phone is S-On; I don't even know what it means.
Could you please explain how to set up fast boot on the computer, I can't figure it out from the thread you gave. It tells me to download Android SDK; however the link brings me to a download site for Android Studio...

Thanks for the help; I really appreciate it. And sorry for being so noobish.
flip

Upvote 0
At the very top of that thread it says -

"If you're just here to grab rooting tools, go the easy way - read this, but install the Mini-SDK as shown in the post after this one. The full SDK shown here is absolute overkill for most every rooter.

Windows drivers are in the post after that."

That means that you have to scroll down to posts 2 and 3. Not stop and follow the directions to set up as a developer as described in post 1. It's also referenced at the end of post 1.

Here's the link to post number 2.

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
After you unzip the sdk-tools.zip file using Windows Explorer, you'll get the sdk-tools folder, shift+right_click that, choose open command window here and as @Hadron said, say -

fastboot getvar all

In the command window, alt+space for the menu, E for edit, select all, copy, and paste into a reply here.

Edit our the IMEI and serial numbers for your protection.

Upvote 0
Oke, I didn't guess that.
So I downloaded sdk-tools.zip, unzipped it to c:\. Opend command window in c:\sdk-tools\ and typed "fastboot get all" (without the "" of course.) It just says "< waiting for device >.

I turned off the phone and restarted the phone while pushing down the volume-button; I don't know the name of the menu that comes up that way (is it the bootloader?) This gives me 6 options (fastboot, recovery, factory reset, simlock, image crc, show barcode) of which I chose "fastboot." I get another menu with 4 options:
-Bootloader: this just brings me back to the previous menu
-Reboot: just restarts the phone in normal mode
-Reboot bootloader: restarts the phone and brings me back to the previous menu
-Power down: just switches off the phone.

I tried the "fastboot getvar all" with all 4 options but it just says "<waiting for device >"

I know it's just me doing something wrong, but don't know what.

Thanks again for the help,
flip

PS Tomorrow I will be working, so changes are I won't be able to respond tomorrow; I will get back the day after tomorrow.

Upvote 0
OK, sorry I forgot about the FASTBOOT mode boot up but you did the right thing.

Go to the FASTBOOT again, plug in to PC.
It should convert to FASTBOOT USB - if so, try the getvar again.

If it just says FASTBOOT or FASTBOOT AC then it's not getting a data connection to the pc.

In such a case, try a different usb port, not USB 3 if possible, or a different cable.

You already installed and ran HTC Sync on the pc, so that provided fastboot usb drivers.

Upvote 0
No need to say sorry; I'm sorry for being such a noob.
I realise most of this will be a too simple for you but I'm new to this and up till now it's complicated; I'm learning!

Oke, when I start the phone into the screen with the skateboarding android it says:
"*** Tampered ***
*** Unlocked ***
M7_UL PVT Ship S-On RH
HBoot-1.54.0000
Radio-4A.17.3250.14
OpenDSP-v31.120.274.0617
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Aug 9 2013,16:15:36.0"

Underneath this it says "HBoot."
When I connect to the PC nothing happens.
In the options I choose "Fastboot" and after this "HBoot" changes into "Fastboot" the rest of the text I quoted above stays the same. When I connect to the PC I get an message "USB-device was not recognized." I cannot access the phone using the PC.
When I start the phone in normal mode I can access the phone without any problem; only sync manager doesn't see the phone.

Any ideas? Sync manager is still installed of course; could there be a problem with the fastboot drivers anyway, is there a way to check?

flip

Upvote 0
@shauny13: that didn't change anything. I still get the same massage "USB device not recognized." On the other hand it might have helped a bit.
Sync manager can't be uninstalled just like that (according to HTC), but a couple of components have to be uninstalled in a specific order. I search to net to find this order and found that one of the components I have to uninstall is "USB driver installer" which is a different component from "HTC driver installer."
USB driver installer is not listed in the list of installed programs, which again leaves me with the question:"are the usb drivers (incl the fastboot drivers) installed?" Given the problems I'm facing, I'm starting to wonder...

Is there a way to be sure?
I've installed and reinstalled sync manager for 7 times now; I never saw the usb-driver installer. So I have little hope that installing it again will install the drivers for sure.
I'll leave sync manager uninstalled for now, so if I need to reinstall it, please say so.

flip

Upvote 0
Oke, thanks.
It made me download two installers; one for the HTC drivers and one for the USB drivers. I installed both, but got on both the options to repair or uninstall the drivers which probably means the drivers were indeed installed. I chose 'repair' on both but the PC still doens't recognise the phone when it's in fastboot.

I rebooted but that didn't change a thing.
I uninstalled both, rebooted, reinstalled both and rebooted again; still no change.

anyone any ideas?

flip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones