• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooted newbie

ceceboo13

Aug 4, 2010
I rooted my thunderbolt but when I go into the rom manager and go to my sd card and click on the zip i want to use i restart and it goes to the bootloader screen it doesnt just restart the phone so i click power down and i turn it back on and get nothing everything is still the same

wat am i doing wrong?

I rooted my thunderbolt but when I go into the rom manager and go to my sd card and click on the zip i want to use i restart and it goes to the bootloader screen it doesnt just restart the phone so i click power down and i turn it back on and get nothing everything is still the same

wat am i doing wrong?

Sounds like you are missing ClockWork recovery. What root method did you use? One of the easy all in one programs I am going to assume.

Open ROM Manager and tap "Flash Clockwork Recovery" and then confirm your phone model. It should work after that. You are much better off to boot into recovery manually and install the ROM your self. Just use ROM Manager to download ROMS and manage your backups but NOT to flash stuff.

GMB

Upvote 0
ok so i did what you said go into rom manager and tap the top one.. selected my phone and then it went to another screen which it says

mecha xd ship s-on

fast boot
bootloader
reboot
reboot bootloader
power down..

i tried to hold the power button and volume down button but it doesnt do anything

Upvote 0
while its completely possible(and possibly better for some folks) to have a custom recovery,and to be able to change roms with an s-on bootloader,you will not be able to flash new radios,splash images,recoveries,unsigned RUUs,or anything else in hboot.

sounds like you dont have clockwork installed. do you have the super user app in your app drawer? if you open it does rom manager have permissions?(it needs to in order for it to to be able to flash clockwork).

since you may be in a state of "partial root" it may not be a bad idea to unroot,and re-root manually.

go here:
Simple Un-Root! - xda-developers

click on the link in the 1st post,and it will take you to another post with a download that link. download that file. follow the directions to "flash in hboot" in this post to flash that file: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/352729-how-some-root-terminology.html

this will take you back to stock s-on,unrooted shipping firmware(1.12.605.6).

you can then get your ducks in a row andre-root with the manual adb method.

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
im going to re root using the adb method but do i have to unroot first? i used the auto root lol

Yes, you should be S-OFF so something didn't go right in your root process or maybe the auto roots aren't capable of turning security off? IDK, I have only rooted my TB twice now and I did both times with ADB.

But you are able to grant root permissions to apps right? Like when you opened ROM Manager and tried to do anything there should have been a pop asking you to grant SU permissions?

GMB

Upvote 0
lol ok i will. no one ever wants to seem to help me but il wait patiently! =]

also,thot id point out that you are not getting many responses because youre prollems have happend to others allready,and the answers are readily available here with some searching.

no offense,but for those of us who have been with the forum since page one,we are getting tired of typing these same things over and over for those who are unwilling or unable to search.

Upvote 0
I am currently downloading that file that you told me to, so once i download it, i dont unzip it right? I just put it on my sd card and then follow the directions for the flashboot?

that is correct. do not unzip it. once you follow those directions,and remame the file and boot into hboot it will find it and "upgrade" you to the 1.12.605.6 firmware.

im alittle afraid that you will get a "main version too new" error,so if you do let us know,the unroot process will be a little more complex.

be forwarned,however,once youre on this older firmware your phone is going to want to update. dont let it. youll have to manually root,at wich point youll be running the newest OTA(mr1,or 1.13.605.7).

once youre on this newer firmware, you may be fine for awhile,or you may need to flash one of the roms that uses mr2 as a base so that your phone does not continually try and update.

hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
i am not lazy tho i have searched and found nothing =/ im sorry i dont mean to be a pain in the butt really i dont

my apologies,my first reply may have been a little harsh. your comment just got under my skin alittle since,the forum is full of people willing to help you,and we do get alot of similar questions. im in the process of making a how to thread so this is a little easier for new rooters like you in the future. :)

EDIT:

hopefully you see this before trying to flash the file...

please look in setting/about phone and tell us your firmware number before trying to run the "back to stock" file youre downloading. im assuming youre still on a stock rom,correct? youve not been able to cahgne it yet?

Upvote 0
my apologies,my first reply may have been a little harsh. Your comment just got under my skin alittle since,the forum is full of people willing to help you,and we do get alot of similar questions. Im in the process of making a how to thread so this is a little easier for new rooters like you in the future. :)

edit:

hopefully you see this before trying to flash the file...

Please look in setting/about phone and tell us your firmware number before trying to run the "back to stock" file youre downloading. Im assuming youre still on a stock rom,correct? Youve not been able to cahgne it yet?

Upvote 0
ok... im not sure exactly happened with your auto-root. kind of sounds like it did up to step 5 of this guide: [ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers

at any rate i still think it is best that you unroot and re-root since we dont know exactly what the auto root did(or didnt ;)).

i think you should use this download from the thread i linked above: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! this should take you back to 1.12.605.6 firmware

i dont think youll get the main version higher error,but if you get the security warning, then try the second download: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! this should take you back to 1.12.605.9 firmware

both of these are flashed in hboot,like i said earlier. the first one may be the same as the one youve allready downloaded,but im not 100% sure so id download this one and use it instead just to be safe.

is you get a main version higher,or a security warning with that download,then you should find someone on IRC chat before continuing. click the link in jcases signiture in the thread above. ( web chat )

i would NOT try and flash anything newer than the 1.12.605.9 software,as you may get the security warning,wich could brick your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones