• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooted now don't like

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in rooting and I just fluked out and unrooted my phone this way. I would suggest you wait for someone with more knowledge to confirm if this works before trying.

The way I unrooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 was I plugged it into my PC and then launched Kies. Kies detected that there was a newer update available for my phone. I then used Kies to download the latest non-root, official update to my SGS3 and in the process it unrooted my phone.

I originally rooted my phone for the sole purpose of using the Keyboard Manager app. I didn't install any custom ROMs or anything else. I decided I didn't like it and wanted to unroot it, but didn't get around to doing it. I just happened to come across this method while my phone was attached to my PC and I launched Kies on my PC.

Upvote 0
I think that only worked because you hadnt installed a custom recovery mate? Usually you wont get an OTA or Kies update if the system is modified (custom recovery, custom rom, uninstalled system apps)
Flashing an official firmware will unroot but it wont reset the flash counter (just rooting wont affect the counter either i think) but you have to still be rooted to use TA to reset the counter.
OP doesnt want to pay for TA and his flash counter has been tripped so if he wants to claim on his warranty theres a good chance samsung will say no (even though they have no legal right to unless his mods have caused the fault) :beer:

Upvote 0
Don't know where this was going but its not a new phone. Also i dont see point in tryin to clear the triangle cos i just want shut if this os and my phone putting back to normal. The cameta on this os is crap, have no panaromic view or anything. It is blurred compared to the standard camera (beltin camera it was).
I have a s2 gt i9000

Any instructjons on how to do it will be greatful.
Thanks

Upvote 0
If you're not willing to pay the small price asked for Triangle Away, follow the instructions here to do it manually. While aimed at the S2, the method should work for all Samsung devices.

To revert completely to the stock firmware, simply flash the required firmware via Odin. See the Galaxy S - ATR Guide for more info.

Upvote 0
I would think the easiest way to get back to a stock would be to use CheckFus and download your phones specific stock firmware. Then flash it in Odin. Just double check and make sure you selected the right phone and carrier.

But yes you would need a jig or TA to get rid of the boot screen triangle.

Tip: I dont know if its true, but I was told that the jig only works with an "old" bootloader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones