• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

So, I'm just as confused as the rest of the dummies here=P

I'm having the same problem with choosing the correct (or most similar) CF-kernel.

Phone-data:

I91000XXLQ6

Kernel: 3.0.15-1068762 dpi@DELL169 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 29 13:40:41 KST 2012

Build: IMM76D.XWLPX

Which kernel could this be?

Now, don't think I haven't scoured both AF and XDA for the answer;)

Ole-J

Upvote 0
Hi all. Looking to root so I can install a custom ROM, as I'm sick of touchwiz and Samsungs bloatware. New to modding Android, but used to mod my winmo phones all the time back in the day, seems the process is pretty similar.

Anyways, I've got everything downloaded and ready to go. The only issue I've come across is opening Odin as an administrator. When I right click and choose run as:, a window pops up with my computers information, and below that is a check box to run as administrator. There's a password field. If I ignore it and just click continue, I get an error saying the password can't be blank. Any ideas? Everything else should be smooth sailing.

Also as a side, and recommendations for a ROM? I know everyone loves different things. I'd like stable (so probably ICS), battery life, speed, and Vanilla Android, or as close as possible. I'll also want to be able to access apps from my lock screen (sms, phone, email, etc), but I believe I can do this with the free Nova launcher? I was thinking of just going CM9, but thought I'd see if anybody had something else I should look at.

Thanks for your help :)

Upvote 0
Anyways, I've got everything downloaded and ready to go. The only issue I've come across is opening Odin as an administrator. When I right click and choose run as:, a window pops up with my computers information, and below that is a check box to run as administrator. There's a password field. If I ignore it and just click continue, I get an error saying the password can't be blank. Any ideas? Everything else should be smooth sailing.

Sounds as though you do not have Admin: rights to your computer. You can try running Odin without that step so long as your phone connects OK.

Also as a side, and recommendations for a ROM? I know everyone loves different things. I'd like stable (so probably ICS), battery life, speed, and Vanilla Android, or as close as possible. I'll also want to be able to access apps from my lock screen (sms, phone, email, etc), but I believe I can do this with the free Nova launcher? I was thinking of just going CM9, but thought I'd see if anybody had something else I should look at.

I would have said that NEAT ROM, mentioned in post #2, comes closest to fitting the bill for you.

Upvote 0
IMPORTANT!

Have updated post #1 to try and take account of some of the latest, stock, Samsung kernels that are all numbers!

*** It would seem that some of the latest stock kernels for ICS are not following the letter/number convention used above and are using all numbers instead. In which case I would recommend using, "Method #1", here, by Phil3759 on xda developers, to root your phone.

If anyone has got any better ideas on rooting these kernels... please let me know. :idea:

Upvote 0
hiya guys,

this is my first post so please be kind!!!!!

got a s2 and im trying to root it.

ive downloaded the latest odin software and think ive got the correct cf.

my s2 is running:
android version - 4.0.4
baseband version - i9100xxlq6
kernal version - 3.0.15-i9100xwlpt-cl941023

i downloaded cf file CF-Root-SGS2_XW_NEE_LPT-v5.6-CWM5

what i did was put my s2 in debugging mode then rebooted in download mode.
i then started odin
went into task manager and closed kies running in background
connected my laptop to s2
box went blue in odin
selected the relevent files in odin with correct check boxes.
pressed start. after a while it says fail in top box

i have tried it several times and even tried wiping cache but still same result.

what am i doing wrong????

Upvote 0
IMPORTANT!

Have updated post #1 to try and take account of some of the latest, stock, Samsung kernels that are all numbers!

If anyone has got any better ideas on rooting these kernels... please let me know. :idea:
at least 2 members with these sorts of codes have had success by matching the CF-kernel to their build number.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
hiya guys,

this is my first post so please be kind!!!!!

got a s2 and im trying to root it.

ive downloaded the latest odin software and think ive got the correct cf.

my s2 is running:
android version - 4.0.4
baseband version - i9100xxlq6
kernal version - 3.0.15-i9100xwlpt-cl941023

i downloaded cf file CF-Root-SGS2_XW_NEE_LPT-v5.6-CWM5

what i did was put my s2 in debugging mode then rebooted in download mode.
i then started odin
went into task manager and closed kies running in background
connected my laptop to s2
box went blue in odin
selected the relevent files in odin with correct check boxes.
pressed start. after a while it says fail in top box

i have tried it several times and even tried wiping cache but still same result.

what am i doing wrong????

odd. you seem to be doing everything right

you have unzipped the CF-kernel file yes??

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sounds as though you do not have Admin: rights to your computer. You can try running Odin without that step so long as your phone connects OK.

I would have said that NEAT ROM, mentioned in post #2, comes closest to fitting the bill for you.

Thanks ironass, I'll try it without being in administrator. I thought I had administrator on my computer, I'll have to take a look at that too. It's my second computer that I use for downloading lol.

And I'll check out the neat rom, thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi guys, rooted my phone last night and all went perfectly. I used method 1 here

It seemed to work perfectly, I managed to install and use Adblock, ROM Manager, and Titanium backup, however when I go into recovery mode I just get the stock android recovery, not CWM. Even when I flash CWM using ROM manager it doesn't work.

Every time I need to get into CWM recovery I need to go through the stock recovery and flash the cwm-touch-6.0.1.2-i9100.zip from external SD and then I can do what I want.

Can't use Odin to try to flash it from there as I only have a Mac available at the moment.

Any suggestions? Or should I just continue doing it this way?

Cheers

Upvote 0
It seemed to work perfectly, I managed to install and use Adblock, ROM Manager, and Titanium backup, however when I go into recovery mode I just get the stock android recovery, not CWM. Even when I flash CWM using ROM manager it doesn't work.

ROM Manager is not designed for, and does not work well with, the Galaxy S2. That is why CWM is placed on your phone during the rooting process. Try deleting ROM Manager and its data and rebooting.

Reactions: jonaseymour
Upvote 0
Hi everyone..

Im thinking of rooting my S2, havent thought about what ROM yet, for now I just want to root, then sort a ROM out at a later date.

My kernel version currently is 3.0.15-I9100BVLPH-CL969772
I think the file I need to download is CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_LPH-v5.2-CWM5.zip (pretty sure this is the right one, but can someone back me up on this please?)

This file has *** next to it, saying there are problems mounting secure storage.. my question is.. can I still root my device? Is it more risky because of this? What problems )(if any) is it likely to cause me??

Many thanks for any replies I get!

Upvote 0
You are right in your choice of LPH CF-Root kernel. As you have correctly noted, there is a problem with secure storage on a few kernels and these can cause problems when rooting for some people. If you do encounter a problem, try using the LP7 kernel and see if that works.

If all else fails you will have to flash the stock firmware on to your phone again and try Method #1, here.

Upvote 0
You are right in your choice of LPH CF-Root kernel. As you have correctly noted, there is a problem with secure storage on a few kernels and these can cause problems when rooting for some people. If you do encounter a problem, try using the LP7 kernel and see if that works.

If all else fails you will have to flash the stock firmware on to your phone again and try Method #1, here.

Thanks ironass!

That other thread has confused me slightly.. I have read through the instructions for method #1, but do I do both parts for that? I mean, do I just do the stpes starting "for phones affected by superbrick bug..." or do I do the second part too "For most (if not all?) ICS phones.

Thanks again for taking the time to help and explain things to me!

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, me again!

So I followed all the steps down to the letter. Clicked start on Odin and all seemed to go well (so I thought). Odin said "Pass" on the screen. However my phone did not boot. I went into recovery mode and followed your steps on what to do.. but still.. no boot!

The samsung screen appears with the yellow triangle, then after 5 seconds or so it goes and nothing happens at all. Im really worried now that I have ruined my phone. Can anyone advise me on what steps to take next? Is there a fix for this? Otherwise Im screwed!

EDIT: Fixed! Flashed a different kernel and its all working now (so far!) Thanks ironass for the help earlier

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass!

That other thread has confused me slightly.. I have read through the instructions for method #1, but do I do both parts for that? I mean, do I just do the stpes starting "for phones affected by superbrick bug..." or do I do the second part too "For most (if not all?) ICS phones.

Thanks again for taking the time to help and explain things to me!

It is safe to assume that your phone, on Android 4.x.x, has the stock Brick Bug kernel. This is why I favour the CF-Root method as chainfire's CF-Root kernels have the anti Brick Bug.

As it says in that other method, in step #1, "To get temporary cwm (to make nandroid backups...) or if stock recovery gives you a signature error, follow the next more universal steps.", you will need to implement step #2 if you wish to have CWM Recovery installed, (recommended). I have to confess that I have not used this method myself but a few posters have.

Something else you could consider is flashing a stock Samsung ROM, including a stock kernel, that takes you away from the LPH, storage problem, kernel and then root your phone using the new, stock. kernel details.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones