• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
Success. Now I've created a Backup. I assume its in the root directory somewhere but what dose it look like - file name etc.?

Hopefully, you had the good sense in Titanium Backup > Preferences > Backup folder location, to select your external SD card as the backup location for your folder, "Titanium Backup". If not, it will be labelled thus, on your internal memory.

Upvote 0
Hopefully, you had the good sense in Titanium Backup > Preferences > Backup folder location, to select your external SD card as the backup location for your folder, "Titanium Backup". If not, it will be labelled thus, on your internal memory.
I did Titanium and /esf backups soon after rooting. I believe I have located the Nandroid backup on the sdcard in a ClockworkMod Folder. Its a folder titled with the date and time of the backup and is 2.5GB.
Can I say how extemely grateful I am for all the help you have given me. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0
I did Titanium and /esf backups soon after rooting. I believe I have located the Nandroid backup on the sdcard in a ClockworkMod Folder. Its a folder titled with the date and time of the backup and is 2.5GB.
Can I say how extemely grateful I am for all the help you have given me. Thank you very much.

Right... you can now change your user name to... "John the quite good at rooting". ;)

For experienced and competent users, I have added the Lollipop, Android 5.1.1, ROM on CM12.1 to post #2. The thread on xda developers is hosted by Lysergic Acid, who is a well known dev. Please read it through, thoroughly and carefully, before proceeding and take a nandroid backup before flashing. Remember, these are, "Nightly", builds. If you have any queries, post them on the S2 general root forum and not in this specific rooting thread.

Upvote 0
Hello, Really sorry in advance for the long post but I really help!

My S2 is originally from Romania but it was unlocked for UK by a friend. After a while the media scanner kept running continuously and I performed a factory reset. It stopped the problem however I couldn`t install any of the previous apps. Also, once disconnected from my google account it didn`t let me sign in again ( username & password error).

I used your guide and rooted my phone using this: CF-Root-SGS2_XW_OXA_LA4-v5.0-CWM5.zip
I checked the rooting using Root checker basic - successful.
As I wanted to upgrade from gingerbread I continued and added the Jelly Bean NEAT ROM Android 4.1.2 with the Siyah Kernel S2-v6.0beta5 .

Before this: I saved my /efs on the computer using GSII repair and followed this guide up to step 3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-data-moving-to-rom-t1502526 . I have copied the clockworkmod folder on my computer.

The phone had a small problem with a "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" error but I fixed it. I could log in to google and I could download any app. However, I couldn`t access my network ( T Mobile).

I tried putting it in and out of flight mode and it did not work. If I tried to select the network manually it said "unable to connect to network". It I let it select the network automatically, it showed emergency calls only. I still had an IMEI number ( didn`t write it down unfortunately) but it was different from the one under the battery. I also did not have any APN.

I thought then to install an official firmware and followed your guide here: http://androidforums.com/threads/jelly-bean-update-dummies-guide.680070/
I downloaded this one http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/4131/I9100BVLPB_I9100TMULPC_TMU/ and installed it. Odin showed "PASS".

Unfortunately, not my phone is stuck/looping at the Samsung logo and it won`t turn on from there. It can still enter Recovery mode and reboot but its still looping.
I`ve added the previous Neat Rom on an external SD card and tried to install it from recovery mode. I receive the error: "E:signature verification failed" . ( only the neatrom zip file is currently on the external SD card as it is brand new)
The only options I now have in recovery mode are: reboot system now, apply update from external storage, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, apply update from cache, test redbend fotal[FS] .
What can I do ?

Initially my phone details were:
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: I9100XXKI3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWLA4-CL900411root@DELLBUILDER01 #2
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWLA4
PDA: I9100 XWLA4
Phone: I9100 XXKI3
CSC: I9100XEUKH2

After:

Andorid Version: 4 1 2
Baseband: I9100XXMS4
Kernel: 3031 Siyah S2 V6.065+gm@ubuntu #177 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 18 16:38:28 PST 2013
Build number: XWMS3 NeatROM v6.9
PDA: I9100XWMS3
Phone: I9100 XXMS4
CSC I9100 FOPLS6

Upvote 0
Hello, Really sorry in advance for the long post but I really help!

My S2 is originally from Romania but it was unlocked for UK by a friend. After a while the media scanner kept running continuously and I performed a factory reset. It stopped the problem however I couldn`t install any of the previous apps. Also, once disconnected from my google account it didn`t let me sign in again ( username & password error).

I used your guide and rooted my phone using this: CF-Root-SGS2_XW_OXA_LA4-v5.0-CWM5.zip
I checked the rooting using Root checker basic - successful.
As I wanted to upgrade from gingerbread I continued and added the Jelly Bean NEAT ROM Android 4.1.2 with the Siyah Kernel S2-v6.0beta5 .

Before this: I saved my /efs on the computer using GSII repair and followed this guide up to step 3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-data-moving-to-rom-t1502526 . I have copied the clockworkmod folder on my computer.

The phone had a small problem with a "the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" error but I fixed it. I could log in to google and I could download any app. However, I couldn`t access my network ( T Mobile).

I tried putting it in and out of flight mode and it did not work. If I tried to select the network manually it said "unable to connect to network". It I let it select the network automatically, it showed emergency calls only. I still had an IMEI number ( didn`t write it down unfortunately) but it was different from the one under the battery. I also did not have any APN.

I thought then to install an official firmware and followed your guide here: http://androidforums.com/threads/jelly-bean-update-dummies-guide.680070/
I downloaded this one http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/4131/I9100BVLPB_I9100TMULPC_TMU/ and installed it. Odin showed "PASS".

Unfortunately, not my phone is stuck/looping at the Samsung logo and it won`t turn on from there. It can still enter Recovery mode and reboot but its still looping.
I`ve added the previous Neat Rom on an external SD card and tried to install it from recovery mode. I receive the error: "E:signature verification failed" . ( only the neatrom zip file is currently on the external SD card as it is brand new)
The only options I now have in recovery mode are: reboot system now, apply update from external storage, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, apply update from cache, test redbend fotal[FS] .
What can I do ?

Initially my phone details were:
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: I9100XXKI3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWLA4-CL900411root@DELLBUILDER01 #2
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWLA4
PDA: I9100 XWLA4
Phone: I9100 XXKI3
CSC: I9100XEUKH2

After:

Andorid Version: 4 1 2
Baseband: I9100XXMS4
Kernel: 3031 Siyah S2 V6.065+gm@ubuntu #177 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 18 16:38:28 PST 2013
Build number: XWMS3 NeatROM v6.9
PDA: I9100XWMS3
Phone: I9100 XXMS4
CSC I9100 FOPLS6

Hello and welcome to Android Forums nev_bkd :)

I think I have got a handle on all your comings and goings with the various flashings, etc:

Currently, you have flashed a stock Samsung firmware to your Galaxy S2, i900?

You are now in a bootloop?

You cannot flash a custom ROM as you are no longer rooted after flashing a stock Samsung firmware and kernel.

You should boot into Recovery Mode and wipe your cache partition, (see #2.5 of Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide),
and see if that helps you boot.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums nev_bkd :)

I think I have got a handle on all your comings and goings with the various flashings, etc:

Currently, you have flashed a stock Samsung firmware to your Galaxy S2, i900?

You are now in a bootloop?

You cannot flash a custom ROM as you are no longer rooted after flashing a stock Samsung firmware and kernel.

You should boot into Recovery Mode and wipe your cache partition, (see #2.5 of Rooting Galaxy S2 - Dummies Guide),
and see if that helps you boot.

Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply.
I just wiped the cache partition but I cannot find advanced - wipe dalvik cache anymore. Unfortunately it is still bootlooping.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply.
I just wiped the cache partition but I cannot find advanced - wipe dalvik cache anymore. Unfortunately it is still bootlooping.

The advanced may only apply to a custom recovery which you no longer have. No matter. Try Factory Data Resetting your phone and re-flashing the stock Samsung firmware below...

Model GT-I9100
Model name GALAXY S II
Country United Kingdom / Ireland
Version Android
Changelist 0
Build date N/A
Product code XEU
PDA I9100XWLSS
CSC I9100XEULS4

Upvote 0
The advanced may only apply to a custom recovery which you no longer have. No matter. Try Factory Data Resetting your phone and re-flashing the stock Samsung firmware below...

Model GT-I9100
Model name GALAXY S II
Country United Kingdom / Ireland
Version Android
Changelist 0
Build date N/A
Product code XEU
PDA I9100XWLSS
CSC I9100XEULS4

Thank you very much! Bootlooping problem solved !
However, it still shows Emergency calls only even if the signal bars are full. . It says "Unable to connect. Try again" later both for manual & automatic network selection. Can you please help me fix this as well? Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thank you very much! Bootlooping problem solved !
However, it still shows Emergency calls only even if the signal bars are full. . It says "Unable to connect. Try again" later both for manual & automatic network selection. Can you please help me fix this as well? Thank you!

Which country are you in and which network are you on?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Strange! The firmware you have flashed is the generic U.K. one and should be fine for your GT-i9100 model and carrier. You could try the carrier branded T-Mobile firmware for the U.K...

Model GT-I9100
Model name GALAXY S II
Country United Kingdom (T-Mobile)
Version Android
Changelist 0
Build date N/A
Product code TMU
PDA I9100BVLPJ
CSC I9100TMULPJ

Thank you, I will soon try this.
Does it mean anything that when I dial *#06# my IMEI number shows up like : " 15 digits / 01 " ?

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will soon try this.
Does it mean anything that when I dial *#06# my IMEI number shows up like : " 15 digits / 01 " ?

No

Also, before you flash the T-Mobile firmware, check that you have the correct, up-to-date APN settings being used for T-Mobile PAYG, U.K. in the generic firmware that you have.

Upvote 0
Understood.
In settings, when I go to APN nothing is showing. From the menu I can either select + New APN or Reset to default.
After I find the right APN details, should I select +new APN and enter them?
Sorry for all the trouble :D I really appreciate your patience with a dummy like me

Having no APN settings would explain your no network issue. You will need to create a new APN as follows...

SAMSUNG I9100 GALAXY SII-INTERNET SETUP (MANUAL)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
There are a number of reasons that this may happen...

Firstly, try your sim card in another phone to see if your sim is faulty. Other explanations are...

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/I-cant-save-the-APN/td-p/7240454

http://androidforums.com/threads/galaxy-s2-apn-info-will-not-save.435226/

Second option failed as well. Rooted the phone & made the APN app work, followed the instructions and no APN is showing.
Should I just flash the other ROM you recommended me ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones