• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Q&A

I think we should add some more to the OP of an FAQ nature.

i have a couple:

1)can we root and use the OTA rom, and just allow "root only" apps to function? or do most of the new features come as a result of the new rom installation? I like the OTA, but i would like to OC or remove apps that i don't want.

2)i rooted a psp a while back... is there a menu like i can reach with the psp that allows for some of these options for our phones, or is that usually contained in the rom as an app?

thanks, you guys sure are dedicated

Upvote 0
what is openGL?
and can someone explain JIT

JIT= Just In Time.

Just-in-time compilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just read up on it so my no means am I an expert (or for that matter anything more than a novice at r00t/anything involving it) but I hope this helps.

Currently I just flashed the Aloysius2.0v11 MAPS ROM and I'm going to undergo removing Sense and enabling JIT so my phone is just thaaaaat much faster. ^_^ Wish me Luck!

Upvote 0
I have software build 2.36.605.1, and none of the ROMs I've been able to find have worked for rooting my Eris...

What is happening when a ROM fails? At what point do you see that it is not working?

I am wondering if you've followed the rooting guide (all steps, including "prerequisites"), especially, from http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html ...

II. Installing Amon's recovery image

1. Download this file: Recovery.zip

2. Extract file contents to your \tools\ directory of your Android SDK.

3. Open up a command prompt and go to your tools directory, and execute these commands: (MAKE SURE YOUR SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER OR THESE COMMANDS WON'T WORK! MAKE SURE IT IS ON "CHARGE ONLY")
  • adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
  • adb push recovery.img /sdcard
  • adb push flash_image /system/bin
  • adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
  • adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

4. Success! You now have a recovery partition installed on your phone. You can access it by running "adb shell reboot recovery" or by powering off your phone, holding "Volume Up + Power On"

..and the, and only then:

III. Installing the new rooted ROM

1. Download the rom here: eris21official-root.zip

2. Place the file eris21official-root.zip on the root of your sdcard

3. Reboot your phone into recovery mode.

4. Go to Wipe, and do a wipe of data/factory reset, as well as dalvik-cache wipe.

5. Go back to the main menu and select "Flash Zip from SDcard"

6. You should see eris21official-root.zip. Select it. Press the trackball to flash it.

7. That's it! You're now running the latest version of the root rom. You will use the same process in this section most likely to flash future updates to the root rom, so remember how to do this method with the recovery partition.

From that point begins the fun of finding a ROM you like, not one that will flash successfully, because just about any ROM out there will flash successfully if you've carefully followed those steps from the guide.

Upvote 0
OK, just recently rooted (I'm a procrastinator) and was just wondering: now that I've rooted... do I need to keep the zip file on my sd card anymore or can I delete that???

I remove all zip files of ROMs after flashing, but I keep a copy of each in a download folder on my computer, just in case (even though I do a nand back up for each ROM). ;)

Reactions: roscuthiii
Upvote 0
Thanks! I'm having trouble with SetCPU allowing a max more than 528 and was following some instructions I'd seen to delete setcpu.txt off the root of the sd card and noticed I still had the .zip file in there. Well, that's one thing to take off the to-do list.

Yeah, a zip file is just an unopened package, so to speak. The system does not see it as integral until it is opened (unzipped) and the files and folders are exposed and ready to be put to work.

Upvote 0
i've been doing some searches and i'm still a bit confused. am i able to remove any app that i want while rooted? or are there certain apps written onto/into the ROM that are unremoveable?

You've got to be very careful about removing apps.

Some are well known to not harm anything by their removal, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

But it is easy to elicit error messages and FCs if you take chances.

There is sketchy info about it around the forums; different ROMs can be less dangerous to pare down, but in this thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53646-unwanted-apps.html#post465641

is a bit of experienced-user reportage. ;)

Reactions: roadster99
Upvote 0
You've got to be very careful about removing apps.

Some are well known to not harm anything by their removal, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

But it is easy to elicit error messages and FCs if you take chances.

There is sketchy info about it around the forums; different ROMs can be less dangerous to pare down, but in this thread: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53646-unwanted-apps.html#post465641

is a bit of experienced-user reportage. ;)

The only one on that list that I would not remove is MMS.apk. I have seen many people have problems after removing this.

Upvote 0
There've been reports about wifi breaking when upgrading the rooted Desire. What is the current wisdom here, now that the Froyo update is imminent? I want to upgrade, but dare not until I hear about success stories. :eek:

KlaymenDK,

Perhaps you meant to post in the all-things-root-desire thread instead of the Eris thread?:

All Things Root (Desire) - Android Forums

Thanks.

P.S. we all wish the Eris was getting official Froyo :)

Upvote 0
Err -- oooops! :eek::rolleyes::p

What a mistake, I never noticed! I came here from a keyword search, and obviously missed the subforum title. D'oh!

That is all. :eek:

Edit: FYI, I've used Unrevoked to install the ClockworkMod recovery with Nandroid, and I've upgraded to v2.2 -- everything went surprisingly smoothly and apparently with no ill effects.

Upvote 0
I've been looking for about an hour now for a new'ish comment on whether there is an issue with rooting a phone that is on 2.1 leak v3. I vaguely remember reading a while back that it wasn't possible, but figured someone must have figured it out by now. But then my memory could be wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Yes, there are several threads now for rooting any Eris regardless of version or HBOOT. Look for the "Universal root for dummies" or the "1-click root" threads in the all-things-root-eris subforum. The also a "detailed root instructions" thread in the main Eris forum.

Sorry for not pasting the links for the above, but this is a rare "from my phone" post. :D

Good luck.

edit: here's the links:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things...no-scripts-needed-easy.html?highlight=1-click

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/125436-detailed-leak-root-tutorial.html

Reactions: Aelhues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones