• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Q&A

i'm also curious about this :-\

polaroidwords,

Welcome to the Android Forums!

What exactly are you curious about? :) [how can I help?]

oops! saw that you just edited...you can do an in-place root if you want...i.e., root without losing any of your current setup. Is this what you had in mind?

Reactions: polaroidwords
Upvote 0
polaroidwords,

Welcome to the Android Forums!

What exactly are you curious about? :) [how can I help?]

oops! saw that you just edited...you can do an in-place root if you want...i.e., root without losing any of your current setup. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes, I suppose that's what I had in mind. I don't really want to customize everything about it, just a few simple things, nothing too fancy :) I'm still new to all this. My Eris is my first smart phone so I'm worried about messing it up or breaking it and not being able to get it fixed since rooting will void the warranty.

Upvote 0
Yes, I suppose that's what I had in mind. I don't really want to customize everything about it, just a few simple things, nothing too fancy :) I'm still new to all this. My Eris is my first smart phone so I'm worried about messing it up or breaking it and not being able to get it fixed since rooting will void the warranty.

I don't blame you...I probably would have done an in-place root on my phone had that option been available at that time.

Okay, here's the scoop regarding an in-place root vs. rooting w/installing a custom ROM:

1. An in-place root will give you the ability to install root-only apps (such as wi-fi tethering), optionally replace your kernel so you can overclock, and does not require you do lose any setup you currently have on your phone (i.e., apps, settings, data). You won't get overclocking out-of-the box without flashing something else.

2. You still need to root via either jcase's 1-click app (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html) or erisuser1's instructions (http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html). You should probably read through both threads (especially erisuser1's thread) to get a good feel for what is going on.

3. All Eris rooting methods involve installing a custom recovery partition on your phone which makes it non-stock and does indeed void your warranty (not to mention the installation of the su program and the SuperUser app).

4. To do an in-place root using one of the above methods, you would stop short of doing any wipes or flashing a custom ROM:

4A. If you use jcase's 1-click app, after you do steps 1 through 3, you would want to make sure that you do a Nandroid backup before you flash the rootme.zip file (that the 1-click apps automatically puts in the top-level of your /sdcard) like his instructions say instead of downloading and flashing a custom ROM. This rooting method is very easy and simple, but does not have all of the detailed instructions and images like erisuser1's thread does.

-- or --

4B. If you are using erisuser1's thread, you would stop before you get to figure 38 (do not proceed with the wipes). Be sure to go ahead and make a Nandroid backup like the guide says. Stay in the recovery menu, because, in the next (last) step, you are going to install/flash the engtools3.zip file (Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!) [which you would need to download and place in the top-level directory of the /sdcard]. The engtools3.zip does the same stuff that rootme.zip does.

Okay, after you've rooted and want to make your phone a little more responsive (snappier), you can replace your phone's kernel with one that is capable of being tweaked for overclocking. Follow this post for instructions on how to do this: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/135849-how-do-i-flash-oc-patch.html#post1253948

If you have trouble booting into recovery, check out this post: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/177367-rooting-custom-rom-questions.html#post1592392

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Reactions: polaroidwords
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones