• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting the Atrix on a Mac?

I'll take a look at this later.

Basically the one-click uses the ADB (Android Debugger) to connect to the phone, pushes/pulls some files, updates some SqlLite files (if needed), etc.

I suspect you could just do everything manually with the SDK (for OSX), but I'll see about running this under Mono, which is basically a .NET development environment for the Mac (so what you're doing is running a .NET application without needing Windows, or the windows .NET runtime files).

Upvote 0
I'll take a look at this later.

Basically the one-click uses the ADB (Android Debugger) to connect to the phone, pushes/pulls some files, updates some SqlLite files (if needed), etc.

I suspect you could just do everything manually with the SDK (for OSX), but I'll see about running this under Mono, which is basically a .NET development environment for the Mac (so what you're doing is running a .NET application without needing Windows, or the windows .NET runtime files).

Awesome, thank you!

I'll be looking out for what you find!

Upvote 0
Well, the manual instructions are circulating, it depends how fearless you are :)

Honestly, if you're not familiar with terminal/shell type stuff, I probably wouldn't do it. Well, I would, but I'm kind of loopy :D

Haha, I've used terminal before, so I'd be okay with the directions.

I'm just not too sure on how to get Mono working.

Where did you find the manual instructions?

Upvote 0
I got my hands on a windows XP netbook.

the 2.0 .NET framework won't even install, and the 4.0 doesn't either.

XP SP3 too, I'm not even sure whats wrong.

Rooting is starting to become a pain in the a$$

Hey if it makes ya feel any better I'm about to go to work on mine - haven't started anything yet but I'm determined to make it quick and easy! seems like it might be tricky based on this thread though... but even i there is terminal shit, it'll still be cake, I can give you the exact phrases to paste in there.

I'm on a 13" macbook pro, snow leopard.

Good luck! Let's root this bitch :)

Upvote 0
aye! This really is turning out to be more of a head-scratcher than I expected. Worse is that apparently this "root" process won't allow custom recoveries, like clockwork mod, which means that everything will always be a pain in the ass for mac users :( I did everything out of clockwork mod... don't even know what to do without it. I guess learn adb??

Anyway, I think i'm going to try the mono route. these directions may be useful:

Install Mono
apt-get install mono

Install WinForms 2.0 for Mono
apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

Mark adblinux as executable
chmod 755 adblinux

Open application with mono:
For v1.5.1, it has to be launched from the same working directory as adblinux, so open terminal, browse to the folder and type
sudo mono SuperOneClick.exe

Upvote 0
aye! This really is turning out to be more of a head-scratcher than I expected. Worse is that apparently this "root" process won't allow custom recoveries, like clockwork mod, which means that everything will always be a pain in the ass for mac users :( I did everything out of clockwork mod... don't even know what to do without it. I guess learn adb??

Anyway, I think i'm going to try the mono route. these directions may be useful:

Install Mono
apt-get install mono

Install WinForms 2.0 for Mono
apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

Mark adblinux as executable
chmod 755 adblinux

Open application with mono:
For v1.5.1, it has to be launched from the same working directory as adblinux, so open terminal, browse to the folder and type
sudo mono SuperOneClick.exe

I came across those too, then I started to scratch my head haha.

I know thats for Linux, I'm assuming it works the same way on OSX though?

I downloaded and installed Mono with their own self extracting installer, but I have no idea where it went or how to launch it in terminal. Typing in those commands without a change in directory/cd doesn't seem to get me anywhere at all, they just go unrecognized.

I'm not sure what directory I should be switching to, but once I figure that out I think it shouldn't be so tough anymore.

Any further progress with you?

Upvote 0
UPDATE!

It seems that I've got SuperOneClick loaded through Mono!

The script was pretty damn easy too.

Steps:

Install the Mono Frameworks

Open X11

Type "mono /Users/YOURNAME/LOCATION OF SUPERONECLICK/SuperOneClick.exe"

It came up!

I'm not sure if this helps, but it's a start for me.

Attachments

• OSXroot.jpg
    OSXroot.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Alright guys, I couldn't get mono to work at all. It seems that the drivers of some sort still need to be installed.

I was able to get the app running but rooting always failed.

I ended up just using the little net book to get it done.

I still want to figure out how to get rooting done on the mac though.

Anyone have any progress?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones