• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting this SOB

dra6n

Mar 21, 2011
they should totally remove the root guide on this forum as it doesnt even work.. so how do you root this thing.. Ive tried about 10 other guides they all seem to do something different.. want you to buy some app to download a code, open it in a hex editor.. seems it shouldnt be this hard...

and all the sites I see are like "here, download this.." but I dont know what "this" does and why am I downloading it...

Well the guide is probably a little outdated. Haven't really been maintaining this particular guide thread. I suppose I really should remove some of the older links.

Question is, what firmware version are you on? 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1 or 2.3? Each version has its own rooting method.

As for not explaining why you need to download that, well, most people are not interested in the why bit. They just want to know how to and get over it as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0
My firmware version is 2.2.1

I guess I just like to look deeper into it lol

On 2.2.1., there are two possible ways to root your phone.

The simpler way is to use Super One Click. That's a windows based program. You run in on your PC while your phone is plugged it. The program itself should come with all the necessary instructions.

Some users have reported that this method does not work for them. In that case you will need to install a custom kernel via Odin. Once the kernel is installed, go into recovery mode and there should be an option somewhere to install root and busybox. (Busybox is a set of extra common linux commands needed for many root applications.)

To flash a kernel via Odin, put the kernel file (should be a file with extension .tar) into PDA. NO repartition and NO pit file. Flashing the kernel will not modify /system or /data, meaning that none of the apps will be touched.

I have included links to some of the more popular kernels in the general guide thread (not the one in root though. I will get around to that later today), but there are literally dozens of Froyo kernels on XDA. Just don't flash a Gingerbread kernel by mistake, though that's quite likely seeing that there's only a total of 3 GB kernels at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones