• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Yes, facebook and amazon. Facebook shows a 1% drain on battery and amazon no drain.
With the increased shift in services to lower levels you can't know what Facebook - especially Facebook - is causing for drain without disabling it.

Depending on your settings (a little bit) for Facebook updates, Facebook will chatter and beat the system to death - but because it's doing it with excessive system calls, it will look innocent in a battery readout while Android System is suddenly going through the roof.

You can't develop apps as if you're the only thing running on the system unless you're on an iPhone because Android is truly multitasking.

The brain dead monkeys developing the Facebook app have yet to learn this despite years of complaints and ridicule in the Android press.

Try to do without it for a day (you can temporarily disable it), see if you get a major change. If so, go into Facebook settings on the web and look at what you have set up for notices.

If you try going without it for a day and nothing improves, congratulations and well done, you're one of the more judicious Facebook users for mobile. :)

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Yes, facebook and amazon. Facebook shows a 1% drain on battery and amazon no drain.

They tend to show up under Android OS, rather than FaceBook or Amazon. As EarlyMon says, disable them and see what happens over a day or so.

The brain dead monkeys developing the Facebook app have yet to learn this despite years of complaints and ridicule in the Android press.

Cheers EarlyMon! I'm gonna nick that quote. ;)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Let's see what happens. I do use F/B but not a lot, I uninstalled it along with Amazon & Amazon music which I never use. I disabled Location as Google services was somewhat of a drain. Reading battery problems that others have mine seem to be minor, I may just be over reacting but there is difference from Kit Kat. I'm taking a short trip in a couple weeks, considering re-activating my Droid Maxx, great battery life but lousy camera.
I appreciate everyone's help...........Thank You !

Upvote 0
hi, since i updated my S4 to lollipop 5.0.1 version i´m having troubles with my knox account log in, every time i start my device i type my password but every time i do it this comes up on screen "failed to mount Knox partitions. Restart device"
is there any way to get my account back? or at least my files?
Phone info
GT-I9500
Device Type ja3g
Made in Korea
Frimware I9500UBUHOD1

thank you in advance

Upvote 0
Early Mon & Ironass.........thanks for the help !
I do believe Facebook is the culprit, perhaps my imagination but after doing a battery calibration the drain doesn't seem as bad. Reinstalling kitkat 442 probably would be a short term solution (with the chance of making a mistake), I might be prompted to upgrade to L in the future again. My options are uninstalling FB, buying a stronger battery or just live with it, lol.
Again thanks for the help, you guys have harder problems than mine to solve.

Upvote 0
Me? I called AT&T and ripped them a new one.

They're sending me a new phone. I went as far as factory data reset and I was PO'd to have to do that. I lost a lot of data. I'm beyond ticked off, that Samsung and AT&T took my perfectly good, working, running... still the 2nd best phone on the market and destroyed it, with their stupid update.

I won't ever accept another Android upgrade from AT&T again, until I've seen that thing running in the wild for at least 6 months.

Good Luck with that. I refused the first time AT&T tried to get me to accept. I refused the second time. I refused the third time. I refused the fourth time and "Dear Old AT&T" forced it to my phone. As a result I could run for 15 minutes before I lost my WiFi and had to turn Airplane mode on and back off to get another 15 min. Wherever I was, not just at home. Then it locked so badly I had to open the back and remove the battery, wait, replace battery. After the 3rd battery pull the problem slowly got better and I haven't had to do either the Airplane Mode or the Battery pull for about a month now. Up to this release I was ok with Android. Now I'm thinking that I will never have another Android phone ... pun intended, Lollypop sucks.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to prevent the update (or at least remove the icon/notification for it)?

I have no time in the next two weeks to deal with a new phone OS and don't want it to apply without my knowledge or consent (or even prep!).

It depends on which model of Galaxy S4 you have. The worldwide and most regional models ...

Settings > About device > Software updates > Auto update... uncheck.

Some of the U.S. model, notably Verizon and AT&T, push/force their updates, eventually, to customers phones unless they are rooted.

Upvote 0
Settings > About device > Software updates > Auto update... uncheck.
Unfortunately I don't seem to have a "Software Updates" under About Device.

My S4 is model SPH-L720 from Sprint, currently running 4.4.2.
The update is already downloaded - I keep getting "push" notifications every 10 minutes trying to remind me to apply the update - but I'd rather not.
Even though I have recent backups for most of my data (except some games that aren't cloud-capable) I still would prefer not having to "fudge around" with the new OS when I'm going out of state for the next two weeks.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't seem to have a "Software Updates" under About Device.

My S4 is model SPH-L720 from Sprint, currently running 4.4.2.
The update is already downloaded - I keep getting "push" notifications every 10 minutes trying to remind me to apply the update - but I'd rather not.
Even though I have recent backups for most of my data (except some games that aren't cloud-capable) I still would prefer not having to "fudge around" with the new OS when I'm going out of state for the next two weeks.

You can disable the update manager :p

Upvote 0
Ok so after only finding negative reviews about the Lollipop update online I'm glad to have found this article that actually has some more insight into the topic. So anyways, I mainly just have a question, I am still on Android KitKat on my S4 and was worried about upgrading via sprint's rollout because of said issues, but what I gathered from your thread (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the best way for me to upgrade now is to completely format my phone (SD and Internal) and clear all the cache and then upgrade using the carrier option and once I have it downloaded before I do anything I should then re format the phone and re-clear the cache (or viceversa) and this should ensure the most optimal method for the update that will produce the less percentage of complications?

Also I should note that I am one of those "cats" who doesn't update, not because I have poor planning but simply because I don't really mind my data getting wiped, I always backup important photos/videos to my google drive or PC, the apps and games are the least of my worries and I can usually re-configure my settings quickly so backing up is not a step for me if that helps.

Specs:
Model: SPH-L720
Android: 4.4.2
Software Version: L720VPUFNG2
Firmware/Build: KOT49H.L720VPUFNG2

Thanks In Advanced!

Upvote 0
Ok so after only finding negative reviews about the Lollipop update online I'm glad to have found this article that actually has some more insight into the topic. So anyways, I mainly just have a question, I am still on Android KitKat on my S4 and was worried about upgrading via sprint's rollout because of said issues, but what I gathered from your thread (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the best way for me to upgrade now is to completely format my phone (SD and Internal) and clear all the cache and then upgrade using the carrier option and once I have it downloaded before I do anything I should then re format the phone and re-clear the cache (or viceversa) and this should ensure the most optimal method for the update that will produce the less percentage of complications?

Also I should note that I am one of those "cats" who doesn't update, not because I have poor planning but simply because I don't really mind my data getting wiped, I always backup important photos/videos to my google drive or PC, the apps and games are the least of my worries and I can usually re-configure my settings quickly so backing up is not a step for me if that helps.

Specs:
Model: SPH-L720
Android: 4.4.2
Software Version: L720VPUFNG2
Firmware/Build: KOT49H.L720VPUFNG2

Thanks In Advanced!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums JA1 :)

Samsung updates are designed to be, "no wipe". Having said that, to integrate all the different apps, user settings and customisations into the new firmware is a mammoth task. As I state in post #2, "Over the course of this one update we will see circa 60 million phones updated. It only needs for, say, 1 in a hundred to fail and you have 600, 000 phones that will require a Factory Data Reset." All to often, I see people blaming the firmware and stating that such-and-such an update is rubbish because their phone is malfunctioning when, in fact, it is their own user apps and settings to blame.

As per posts #1 & #2, backup everything using more than one method. You can then accept the update and just wipe the cache partition and if all is well, then fine. However, if not, be prepared to do a Factory Data Reset and a Full Wipe and check out your virgin phone, prior to re-downloading your apps but not settings.

Alternatively, be pessimistic and FDR and Full Wipe your phone prior to the update and wipe cache partition afterwards and then take the time to check it out prior to re-downloading your apps. That way you can determine if the fault is with the firmware or the user apps and settings.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums JA1 :)

Samsung updates are designed to be, "no wipe". Having said that, to integrate all the different apps, user settings and customisations into the new firmware is a mammoth task. As I state in post #2, "Over the course of this one update we will see circa 60 million phones updated. It only needs for, say, 1 in a hundred to fail and you have 600, 000 phones that will require a Factory Data Reset." All to often, I see people blaming the firmware and stating that such-and-such an update is rubbish because their phone is malfunctioning when, in fact, it is their own user apps and settings to blame.

As per posts #1 & #2, backup everything using more than one method. You can then accept the update and just wipe the cache partition and if all is well, then fine. However, if not, be prepared to do a Factory Data Reset and a Full Wipe and check out your virgin phone, prior to re-downloading your apps but not settings.

Alternatively, be pessimistic and FDR and Full Wipe your phone prior to the update and wipe cache partition afterwards and then take the time to check it out prior to re-downloading your apps. That way you can determine if the fault is with the firmware or the user apps and settings.

Haha, not that I don't have trust in the software but I don't really have much space on my phone and it's already getting clunky since it's last wipe was over over a year ago so I thought it would be easier to just do that and then only install the apps I need instead of having a bunch of apps I never use and with what you have said could even cause problems with the new update so I'll probably just do a simple wipe now and then install it and then go through the process of installing a few apps at a time and monitoring the phones resources and see how it goes from there. Thanks again for the help and I'll let you know how it goes!

Upvote 0
Just finished it up and cleared my cache and it is running better than before, the scrolling is smoother and the design is cleaner. I was even trying to recalibrate the battery using that app you posted and it was taking forever to drain the battery even with flashlight on, all settings to max, and running a 3D app, in fact I'm still doing so, so all those people that were complaining about battery issues couldn't be more off lol, like you said it was the user apps. Now I'm just going to leave it "virgin" for another day while I monitor how the phone does alone and then I'll start putting in apps slowly and post any problem apps that I find.

Once again thanks for all this! I'll surely be giving this to all those people complaining about the new issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones