• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung and Google missed a BIG opportunity to win the tablet market

JZAJZZ

Jul 29, 2009
Remember this teaser video?

[SAMSUNG Mobile Unpacked 2011 - Google Episode] Teaser Video - YouTube

Some things go better together. I was truly expecting the Nexus Prime to come witha tablet dock kinda like The Asus Padfone (that was announced earlier this year but has yet to come out)

This event would be the perfect time to introduce something like that. Big carrier like Verizon .. Holiday season and the Introduction of Ice Cream Sandwich.

Why not offer the perfect Sandwich .. .a phone and a tablet in one.

Think about it, You have a 4G phone . .it has the same processors Graphics cheap that a tablet would have. It would not need its own power or radio. You have everything on your phone. Asus did it first but the problem with them is that they don't have the relationship that Samsung has with Verizon and other carriers.

With the introduction of a Padfone like "sandwich" developers would flock to create more tablet friendly apps, because more people would have tablets now ... It would be introduced to the masses ..this would solve Google's problem of not having enough tablet apps. Google wanted to show the importance of having one OS for both.. what a perfect way to do it.

They may well do it later, but there was never a better time than this past event. Apple didn't create the greatest buzz with their latest phone.. there was not anything groundbreaking ..so a lot of people were looking at the Nexus Prime to offer something bigger.. but that never came.

I saw Asus event earlier this year and I did not even think about it twice because
1. It did not have one OS that unifies both a phone and a tablet.

2. it wasn't an event that already had carrier partners lined up. I still think Asus should have a big marketing campaign in Europe for the padfone because the phone industry in Europe is different. Carrier partnerships are not as important

but the big breakthroughs come in the US .. because US is a launching pad

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones