• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Captivate, can't open e-mail attachment

gbuspa

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Hi,

Just got my Samsung Captivate last night. Cool phone but there is already one issue that I'm looking to get help with. When trying to open Yahoo e-mail attachment (PDF or Doc file), I'm getting a message saying "This attachment can't be opened".

Any idea?

Thank you.

BG

I am having the same problem with my Captivate, I don't see any place to enable unknown sources under applications, what am I missing? I only have manage applications, running services, development, and usb settings. Help! So far I have been thrilled with android after several years of iphones, but this is causing me problems!

Upvote 0
I can open all other extensions from within my mail program since I downloaded Office App. But I can not open ant PDF's from within the mail program??? I can save them to My Files and open it there......But this is not acceptible since I receive a large number of pdf's daily and just need to open to view and make decision on what to do with it. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!????

Reactions: M00Cow
Upvote 0
Same problem here. My attachments come through as X-AOL-xxxxxxx where xxxxxx is always something different.

I'm using touchdown as an exchange email client, but they come through the same way in the native exchange mail app.

This only happens with some attachments, others open just fine.

This was a problem back in 12/09 and was one of the main reasons I took the phone back then.

It's not a samsung problem, or an email client problem.

Try forwarding any email with an attachment you can't open on your phone to yourself from your home computer. You will then be able to open it on your phone if you have the correct reader installed.

Hate to say this, but my phone must go back simply because of this email attachment problem. :(

Upvote 0
I just tried K9 Mail because of the stock e-mail client's inability to block/copy text in a received e-mail. The app does allow the ability to block/copy, but I ran into an issue with .pdfs. If I copy them onto my phone, opening them is no problem. If I e-mail them, the phone does not download the attachment in full (i.e., my 7.9 mb attachment became 1.5mb and corrupted). I re-sent it several times, and one did download the full 7.9mb .pdf correctly and it did open then without the error.

I do believe it's an attachment size issue. All .pdfs under 2mb are opening with issue. There are settings in mail that allows to limit the size of the download, and the largest allowance is 2mb. I don't know what impact this setting has on the attachments, because I was able to download the 7.9mb attachment once, but it took a long time. I tested this with the stock e-mail app and K9 and the issue exists in both. Once the stock app did download the full attachment, but refused to show me open or save buttons.

Sorry if my writing is convoluted; I'm in a bit of a rush.

Upvote 0
Try this:

Go to the Android Market, and select the tab for AT&T. This should list several apps that AT&T has made available to Captivate users, in some cases for free. One of these apps is the full version of Quickoffice. Download that app, and then try and go into your e-mail again.

Using the stock gmail option, I sent myself an email with a PDF attached. I was able to download the pdf and it opened immediately into Quickoffice for easy viewing. I would presume this would work the same in other e-mail programs as well.

Upvote 0
If you are unable to download emails or attachments larger than 25kB check your Windows SBS Mobile Mailbox Policy. The default setting is 25kB for downloading both emails and attachments.The Windows SBS Mobile Mailbox Policy is in the Exchange Management console under Organization Configuration / Client Access,then tab Sync Setting. Change both setting to whatever the largest size email is that you want to download. Once I changed this setting on my droid Samsung Captivate I was able to download and read pdf's, jpgs, etc. in the default mail reader that is standard with the phone.

Upvote 0
If you are unable to download emails or attachments larger than 25kB check your Windows SBS Mobile Mailbox Policy. The default setting is 25kB for downloading both emails and attachments.The Windows SBS Mobile Mailbox Policy is in the Exchange Management console under Organization Configuration / Client Access,then tab Sync Setting. Change both setting to whatever the largest size email is that you want to download. Once I changed this setting on my droid Samsung Captivate I was able to download and read pdf's, jpgs, etc. in the default mail reader that is standard with the phone.

Howdy, Im new to the Captivate. Can you point me in the right direction as to where to find the Exchage Management Console? Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones