• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S Forums Official Galaxy S FAQ

Samsung Galaxy S Forums Official Galaxy S FAQ

Here are a list of common questions that arise often. If you wish to add to this FAQ or add a how to you can submit them here and we will add them to the list.

When will the Galaxy S be receiving the Android 2.2 Froyo update promised by Samsung?
Samsung have commented it would be coming in Q3 or Q4 this year. Rumors suggest maybe the end of August.

Can I debrand my Galaxy S from the operator branding and will it void my warranty?
Yes its possible to flash a new firmware that is clean and free of operator logos and branding. You will most likely void your warranty however do so. You can learn about debranding and flashing your Galaxy S here: How to flash your Galaxy S using Odin3

My Gallery is now full of images from my GPS application or games. How can I stop the gallery from showing these files?
You can use a .nomedia file to stop gallery from add media via the media scanner. The file is here: How to hide media files from the Muisc Player and Gallery with .nomedia

My Music Player has audio from games or GPS programs I don't want there.
Same as above use the .nomedia file : How to hide media files from the Muisc Player and Gallery with .nomedia

My GPS is loosing its fix constantly, how can I fix this.
There are a few fixes at present. Normally GPS issues were only on the first firmware releases. You can either flash a new firmware or try on of these fixes: GPS Fix, Enable Skyhook or GPS fix

I'm getting poor battery life what can I do to increase the Galaxy S battery life?
See this thread on How to increase your Galaxy S battery life

Are there secret codes for the Galaxy S that give me access to hidden menus, settings and service menu. Yes a list can be found here: Samsung Galaxy S Secert Codes

Will Samsung be releasing a Qwerty keyboard version of the Galaxy S?
Yes known as the Galaxy S Pro is rumored to be the European version of the North American Galaxy S Epic 4G (Has a slide out qwerty keyboard)

How can I enter the Android recovery menu?
Turn off your Galaxy S. Hold the volume up and home key then power the phone on. Keep holding the volume up and home key and you will enter the recovery menu.

How to I start the phone in download mode to flash firmware?
Turn off your Galaxy S. Hold the volume down key and home key then power the phone on. Keep holding the keys and you enter the download android screen.

How do I get root access on my Galaxy S, can it be rooted?
Yes the Galaxy S can be rooted, please see our guy here: Detailed guide on rooting the Galaxy S

buy.gif

Reactions: teek barlett

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones