• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung: Galaxy S getting update 2.2 (Froyo) in September

Would you elaborate on what hardware issues T-Mobile is admitting to? They've acknowledged the GPS problem, but I haven't heard of them admitting to it being a hardware problem.

Can't speak for him, but I took his post to mean TMO thinks his particular phone may have a HW problem, and they're replacing it, not necessarily all Vibrants.

Upvote 0
I thank you very much for your intelligent post. I must say I do apologize if I came across like a jerk yesterday. I was so frustrated with my phone constantly crashing. For me right now the iphone 4 is just not possible. I really do not like At&t. So I would love to love this phone. As I have said before I don't hate the phone I am just not yet a true fan. I am using my break today to head to the T-mobile store to get ANOTHER Vibrant! Like I said yesterday my phone and what I have reading on the internet others have some severe issues. What I am hoping is this next phone doesn't have the hardware issues my present phone has and can be upgraded via software whenever that happens. I am hoping I can gain a similar experience you have described above.

Did you exchange it yet? I am, in all honesty and seriousness, interested and hopeful for you. Did it fix anything? I really hope you get a smashing Ace like i did.

Upvote 0
*Awaits patiently...or rather impatiently, for 8 days to pass by to see if Froyo comes knocking on the door...*

As for robo21's longer post above, I too use my Vibrant for mostly business purposes all day long. I have no less than 30-40 calls every day, 20-40 emails, a handful of texts, some Google Maps use, etc etc. As a field IT administrator, I rely on my phones ability to get me to the next job through communication. This device has been rock solid, no complaints. Even my BlackBerry 9700 used to drop calls like a fat kid drops broccoli, but the Vibrant has yet to drop a second call (it dropped one a week ago). So anyways, there's no way I'd complain about this device. It's my favorite piece of technology at the moment.

Upvote 0
:thinking:
If its a hardware issue how come I can root my phone and fix the GPS?

I'm pretty sure he meant his individual phone. If he did have that many problems with it crashing and having apps force close so much, it sounds like something was off, either manufacturer defect or other. I don't think he would have related the bad hardware statement to the GPS...that would have brought a fury like none other to him from all the other Vibrant owners here :D

FYI: Your battery life issue explained above is because of your OC, unless you also have GPS and WiFi on all the time. With BT on, the other night I did about 2 hours of constant playing around with the phone and it only dropped to 75%. That equates to 8 hours of constant use before it should die. Even without playing with it, I'm getting an average discharge of 4% per hour which includes 2-4 5-10 minute calls via BT and a couple of emails. Take your OC off and notice the power drain significantly less.

Reactions: Countbunny
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the good luck new Vibrant wishes. Yep! My Vibrant had some manufacturer issues. T-mobile replaced the phone and it is now on the charge. They were very surprised in the store when I showed them my problems. After tonight's session I will be loading my apps and finally hopefully getting a chance to actually learn and enjoy the phone.

Upvote 0
*Awaits patiently...or rather impatiently, for 8 days to pass by to see if Froyo comes knocking on the door...*

As for robo21's longer post above, I too use my Vibrant for mostly business purposes all day long. I have no less than 30-40 calls every day, 20-40 emails, a handful of texts, some Google Maps use, etc etc. As a field IT administrator, I rely on my phones ability to get me to the next job through communication. This device has been rock solid, no complaints. Even my BlackBerry 9700 used to drop calls like a fat kid drops broccoli, but the Vibrant has yet to drop a second call (it dropped one a week ago). So anyways, there's no way I'd complain about this device. It's my favorite piece of technology at the moment.
I too have yet to see any dropped calls with this phone. Even when I literally have no signal I have perfect call quality.

Was it you who said they were switching away from T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
I too have yet to see any dropped calls with this phone. Even when I literally have no signal I have perfect call quality.

slightly ot, but fwiw i've gotten tons of compliments about the call quality when i'm talking to my friends on the phone. one couldnt even tell i had him on speaker phone. has a great mic

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Nope, don't think so. I may have said that if my call service and quality doesn't improve with this phone (as in, from my BlackBerry), I'd get out of contract on the basis of not being provided with reliable service, but that would have been a different forum I believe. In any case, never had problems with this phone, so leaving hasn't been on my mind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones