• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Factory reset

Laban

Lurker
Nov 7, 2015
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) and this is my first android phone. I've had for over a year now, I got it sometime in June last year.
I updated my phone to Lollipop 5.0 about 3 months ago, and ever since there's been an aspect of my phone that's been faulty. The Samsung keyboard. My keyboard crashes at least once day, every day and it drives me crazy cause I prefer the default keyboard to the others I've downloaded such as the Google keyboard. It began to crash right after the Lollipop update. It usually crashes whenever I switch to emojis. (especially when I'm in the middle of typing a tweet) It freezes then the message "Samsung keyboard has stopped working" pops up on the screen. During my hunt for a fix, I came across clearing the cache and the data of the keyboard and wiping the phone's cache from the recovery menu. So far they've worked and my keyboard hasn't crashed again... I also came across performing a factory reset, which I read fixes most issues after a software update. It's the idea of performing a factory reset that has brought me here. I have some questions about performing a factory reset and I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me some answers.
1. What's the best method of performing a factory reset? How is it done?
2. If I perform a factory reset, will the software on my phone be taken back to KitKat 4.4.2? (That was the version my phone shipped with)
3. I know backing up my data is gonna be the first and most important step. Is there an app or software than I can use for that? I was thinking of using Samsung Kies 3. I'd also love to be able to backup my app data, like for example my Asphalt 8 progress and restore it at a later time? Is it possible?
4. These past few days, I've noticed my battery life has been running down faster than usual. Could a factory reset help with that? I read it could help fix that. Although the battery may be weak due to the fact that I've had the phone for over a year now, and I'd consider myself a medium-heavy user; I plan on getting a replacement soon though.
5. Will a factory reset permanently fix the keyboard? (In-case it starts acting up again)
By the way, my phone is not rooted.

Thank you for your time and help. I will be expecting replies. All help, tips & tricks will be fully appreciated.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) and this is my first android phone. I've had for over a year now, I got it sometime in June last year.
I updated my phone to Lollipop 5.0 about 3 months ago, and ever since there's been an aspect of my phone that's been faulty. The Samsung keyboard. My keyboard crashes at least once day, every day and it drives me crazy cause I prefer the default keyboard to the others I've downloaded such as the Google keyboard. It began to crash right after the Lollipop update. It usually crashes whenever I switch to emojis. (especially when I'm in the middle of typing a tweet) It freezes then the message "Samsung keyboard has stopped working" pops up on the screen. During my hunt for a fix, I came across clearing the cache and the data of the keyboard and wiping the phone's cache from the recovery menu. So far they've worked and my keyboard hasn't crashed again... I also came across performing a factory reset, which I read fixes most issues after a software update. It's the idea of performing a factory reset that has brought me here. I have some questions about performing a factory reset and I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me some answers.
1. What's the best method of performing a factory reset? How is it done?
2. If I perform a factory reset, will the software on my phone be taken back to KitKat 4.4.2? (That was the version my phone shipped with)
3. I know backing up my data is gonna be the first and most important step. Is there an app or software than I can use for that? I was thinking of using Samsung Kies 3. I'd also love to be able to backup my app data, like for example my Asphalt 8 progress and restore it at a later time? Is it possible?
4. These past few days, I've noticed my battery life has been running down faster than usual. Could a factory reset help with that? I read it could help fix that. Although the battery may be weak due to the fact that I've had the phone for over a year now, and I'd consider myself a medium-heavy user; I plan on getting a replacement soon though.
5. Will a factory reset permanently fix the keyboard? (In-case it starts acting up again)
By the way, my phone is not rooted.

Thank you for your time and help. I will be expecting replies. All help, tips & tricks will be fully appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Laban :)

Most, if not all, of your questions are answered in posts #1 & #2 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones