• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung S21 Cannot add contacts to Group

rwbil

Lurker
Apr 6, 2022
I created a group on my Samsung S21; going to contacts --> Menu --> Create Groups and gave it a name, but when I select Add Member no contacts are shown. It says no contacts.

I thought maybe my contacts are not stored right, so I checked one of the ones I wanted to add and it says Phone Storage.

I cannot figure out why it will not show my contacts so I can add them to the group.

Some had say you can select contacts and hold for 3 seconds and then add to group, but that did not work either.

As far as I can tell the "Add Member" setting doesn't work on my s21 either. I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to be anything to do with how contacts are stored, since I have a mix of different accounts and phone storage contacts and none of them work with this. The most likely explanation is just that the default (Samsung) Contacts app has a bug and this particular dialogue just doesn't work.

You can however add contacts to a group by editing the contact, then selecting "groups" from the contact editing options. So it is possible, you just need to come at it from a different direction (this is why I think it's a bug in that particular bit of the app interface rather than in the functionality itself).

Another workaround is to use a different app for editing groups. For example Simple Contacts allows me to edit groups in a way more like what you tried, and as it's editing a common system contacts database the changes are visible to the Samsung Contacts app.

(This sort of thing is the reason I have duplicates of some key apps: there are always some things that one of them does better than another).

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As far as I can tell the "Add Member" setting doesn't work on my s21 either. I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to be anything to do with how contacts are stored, since I have a mix of different accounts and phone storage contacts and none of them work with this. The most likely explanation is just that the default (Samsung) Contacts app has a bug and this particular dialogue just doesn't work.

works fine on my z fold 3 so i don't think this is a samsung issue per se.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones