• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsungs alarm clock sucks!

thxs jejb for your help.I cant for the life of me understand why a $600 phone cant have a alarm clock that when powered off comes on at the set time.This turns into a battery life issue.I used to have a old slide out Samsung basicphone that when powered off(an still does)alarms me when set.I called Samsung tech and they gave me the sual remove the battery reboot ect.This phone is 2 months old.To be sure by now weve moved into the next step of easy smartphones!!

Upvote 0
Ok Ive found my answer after going thru second level Samsung phone tech support.This is a fact if you set a alarm with the phone pwered off it wont work at all.I was told I need to set the phone to airplane mode.Im sure if I took the time to read the manual I would have found this.

But I did voice my pisssedofffness with the fact that a $100 old Samsung slideout phone could do this-a $600 gs4 could not.Really!!!Its in my mind a battery issue.At home no big deal.But what if your camping or away from a outlet to charge.This needs to be fixed.Oh well so goes life.peace.

Upvote 0
Ok Ive found my answer after going thru second level Samsung phone tech support.This is a fact if you set a alarm with the phone pwered off it wont work at all.I was told I need to set the phone to airplane mode.Im sure if I took the time to read the manual I would have found this.

But I did voice my pisssedofffness with the fact that a $100 old Samsung slideout phone could do this-a $600 gs4 could not.Really!!!Its in my mind a battery issue.At home no big deal.But what if your camping or away from a outlet to charge.This needs to be fixed.Oh well so goes life.peace.

You can always plug your phone in at night and it won't lose any battery. (You'll have a full charge by morning.) This is what I do and I even use a desk alarm clock app that displays a big clock, with info. like, next alarm, how much time left for next alarm, current weather, missed phone calls and text, new email count. (Lets see if your old dumb phone can do that.)If your wondering, the screen is dimed really dark, so not to disturb me from my sleep.

The S4, with its big battery, can be on stand by for days, if in airplane mode and all radio's are off. So, saving battery shouldn't be a concern if you use the methods mentioned in this thread. If it is, buy a spare battery for those situations.

Upvote 0
As the previous person asked, if you mean totally power the phone off then as he also stated, it will not work. I don't think there's a phone out there that will if you power it completely off. That would be like unplugging your alarm clock to save electricity and wanting it to sound the alarm when you have to get up for work. Not trying to trash talk you or anything but it wouldn't make sense for it to work if powered off since the operating system isn't running.

As suggested try airplane mode or use power saver mode on the phone. Also turn off all the nifty gadget modes that you really don't use. I personally hated Samsungs stock battery. Thin is great but not at the expense of battery life. If I can't run my phone all day with regular phone use then I'll take a thicker phone that will run all day. I did end up buying the Zero Lemon 7500 mAh monster battery and I get 2 1/2 days of average use before recharging. With HEAVY use I get one full day. It comes with a TPU case and is slightly smaller than with my Otterbox Defender and just a little thicker. Great battery alternative for $39. Hope this helps.

Jim

Upvote 0
Not that it matters but if the guy is coming from a blackberry, it's a legitimate question. Not sure of RECENT blackberrys, but at one point the calendar reminders AND alarms both worked while the phone was off. If, as an example, this was the only phone one had used, I would imagine that it would be very disappointing to not find this on a new device/OS.

...just pointing it out... :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones