• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Say Bye Bye Droid!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks. peeps.

3 complaints that storm 2 fixed.
1. Smooth scrolling/ fast response time over all
2. absolute fast and accurate texting. NO misspelled words.
3.NO force closings on anything
4. Fast camera operation
5. easy to use over all.
6. im originally a blackberry user so im used to the stuff from the Curve

yea i went on a bit more but w/e.

Upvote 0
My niece *was* a BB user but after seeing my Droid on Thanksgiving, she went home and made the switch. I think she was already leaning that way anyway. So far she seems pleased. I invited her here to this forum so maybe she will chime in.

Like I said, "Different strokes for different folks". I love my husband dearly but he would HATE this phone. (He also likes fish and I only like shrimp and lobster tail in that department.) It's a good forum when folks don't have to get defensive because someone doesn't *like* the phone of the day.

Upvote 0
I've had both, and was a Storm owner from its initial release. I can say this, the typing on the Storm 1 & 2 kicks the crap out of the Droid. The keyboard is very bad on the Droid, which also includes the physical keyboard. The word recognition on the Droid is far superior though so it does help when using the small keys and how easy it is to mistype a word.

But other than that, the Droid is superior across the board. The OS, while it does have its problems, is so much better in just about all aspects. The browsing experience on the Droid is so far advanced compared to the Blackberry browser that its pathetic. Sure Blackberry might have a new browser soon but how soon from my past experience with Blackberry could mean summer of next year or longer. Email for me has been just as good as it was on the Storm. I was not running through BES, I was on BIS and as far as I can tell its nothing different. All of my email accounts are POP3 accounts and I am not trying to go through one of the free services like Yahoo or Hotmail.

I personally liked the Storm 2 when I had it, but the button issue forced me back to my old Storm. It made such a bitter taste in my mouth that Blackberry would release another touchscreen that had screen problems that I finally said screw it and jumped ship to the Droid. So far I have not regretted the decision and I would personally recommend this phone to anyone that asks. The Storm is a nice phone, for what it is (just another blackberry) but its so far behind the game that it really doesn't even hold any ground on the Droid.

Upvote 0
Make sure you download opera5 beta for the storm the browser on the storm is a complete piece of garbage its slower than a frozen slug in molasses. The Opera5 beta actually rivals the droid's browser on speed to load a page but the comparison is over at that point in time.

Edit: You're click interface doesn't work in opera it works just like its a touch screen only but the speed increase is well worth it! Did I mention that the Storm Browser is SLOW??? Even via WiFi the thing is painfully slow.

Upvote 0
I'll admit that in the menus and what not the scrolling does seem faster on a storm... and I miss the battery life of my storm in comparison to the Droid.... oh and there were some actually decent financial applications (I've tried all the Droid ones... there isn't even a single one that has built in reconciliation built in)... But after that... I can't think of anything I miss on the Storm... There is a LOT that is better on the Driod (including email with my gmail account) which is really REALLY sad to see the Storm losing in the email dept. Actually the Droid even does things that my BIS enabled Storm wouldn't... Like the corporate directory app (for android) and the fact that I get all my folders and everything... RIM eat your heart out! Not to mention that the storm 2 is just a slap in the face after the storm 1. Its what they should have made in the first place and not a real "upgrade" to a new device.

Upvote 0
Yea. I see.
Yea droid is superior on all that.
different strokes for different folks.
well as mush as i want the browser on the droid on the storm2. i guess one cant have everything.

All in all i just need a phone thats reliable to the touch and process. im not really big on the browsing..well...kinda but its not a big deal really.
The button touch isnt really that bad. i know o was a total disbeliever at first with the storm with its button touch but now that everything is fixed with the storm 2....its absolutely much better.
i just miss my blackberry.

Upvote 0
Yea. I see.
Yea droid is superior on all that.
different strokes for different folks.
well as mush as i want the browser on the droid on the storm2. i guess one cant have everything.

All in all i just need a phone thats reliable to the touch and process. im not really big on the browsing..well...kinda but its not a big deal really.
The button touch isnt really that bad. i know o was a total disbeliever at first with the storm with its button touch but now that everything is fixed with the storm 2....its absolutely much better.
i just miss my blackberry.

uh,oh . ur stuck:eek:

Upvote 0
thanks. peeps.

3 complaints that storm 2 fixed.
1. Smooth scrolling/ fast response time over all
2. absolute fast and accurate texting. NO misspelled words.
3.NO force closings on anything
4. Fast camera operation
5. easy to use over all.
6. im originally a blackberry user so im used to the stuff from the Curve

yea i went on a bit more but w/e.

I came from a Storm, and I wasn't impressed with the changes in the Storm 2 that the 5.0 OS didn't already bring to the Storm 1. It just sounds like you wanted a blackberry again, which is fine. I say that because I find the opposite to be true for most of your list of complaints.

1. My droid is far smoother than my Storm, and WAY faster
2. I text way better now than I ever did on the Storm (I actually made more mistakes on the Storm2 when I toyed with one but i'm sure that has to do with not using it more)
3. I haven't gotten that many force closes, and when I do, I don't have to pull the battery to make the phone right again
4. You are right about the camera, at least until the Dec. 11 update
5. I find the Android OS (and the droid) easier to use, and more fun to use
6. This is the real reason I think you switched, you just missed a blackberry :p

Upvote 0
cool story bro

I hate long goodbyes.

ok
bye,bye
see ya!
later

Agreed...goodbye RoboTRN089 and happy hunting with that "brand new smartphone right out the gate with nary an issue" search. keep us posted...or not.

I hate these threads. The OPs are just begging for attention. If you don't like your phone then return it. You're moving away from an android phone to a non-android phone then you don't really need to be here.

All of this.

Do you announce when you leave a room too? Because honestly, I don't care.

If you were having issues, post in the appropriate forum with a problem and detailed description and seek help. If you treat it like something it's not, you're going to hate it. If you buy a computer and put crappy software on it or don't use it correctly, it's not the computer's fault.

I worked at CompUSA and some doofus returned a MacBook because it was slow- when I showed them they weren't closing the applications & were just closing the window for it (leaving the applications open in the dock), quitting open apps sped the machine back up to brand new speeds. They said they didn't care and that they wanted to return it because it was slow. We said of course it's not, instructed them about apple+q or selecting quit from numerous places but they insisted. We then charged them the 15% restocking fee since it was opened and in perfect working order and they complained... Are you related to this person?

So you announce you're leaving, cite no real reasons, seek no help, and seem happy to complain. You're leaving? HA! Get out!

/rant

Upvote 0
@colnago: You can significantly extend standby battery time by downloading Advanced Task Killer Pro. It has a feature called Auto-kill. It will shut down any programs that are running in the background every 0.5, 1, or 2 hours. My battery lasts all day since I started using this program.

Understood...however I was aware of the benefits of managing apps and radio usage with my current smartphone, as well as the initial period of battery "break-in". I had also been running my screen brightness at (-1) with the Quick Settings app. I actually prefered Advanced Task Manager because it would "close all" if you shake the phone, per precofigured thresholds.

My DROID's battery was able to last 24 hours of "my" regular usage, but when idle at my mom's, battery usage increased exponentially as the radio worked "harder than usual" to fix on a signal, on top of being much warmer than usual. Task management not gonna help in that situation.

Upvote 0
cool story bro

The above statement says it all. A software developer was telling me how hard it is to get noticed by developing Apple I phone apps just couldn't get exposure. He suggested that the IPhone was a toy and that a Black berry was a 'serious' phone for real work.

All I can say was that I wasn't inspired to upgrade my palm Treo 700 to a black berry :thinking:

When I saw the Droid I was inspired and I made the switch :D

My wife is waiting for the IPhone to come to Verizon :eek: She doesn't love my Droid, and can't understand my feelings for it.

Jason

Upvote 0
I've had both, and was a Storm owner from its initial release. I can say this, the typing on the Storm 1 & 2 kicks the crap out of the Droid. The keyboard is very bad on the Droid, which also includes the physical keyboard. The word recognition on the Droid is far superior though so it does help when using the small keys and how easy it is to mistype a word.

But other than that, the Droid is superior across the board. The OS, while it does have its problems, is so much better in just about all aspects. The browsing experience on the Droid is so far advanced compared to the Blackberry browser that its pathetic. Sure Blackberry might have a new browser soon but how soon from my past experience with Blackberry could mean summer of next year or longer. Email for me has been just as good as it was on the Storm. I was not running through BES, I was on BIS and as far as I can tell its nothing different. All of my email accounts are POP3 accounts and I am not trying to go through one of the free services like Yahoo or Hotmail.

I personally liked the Storm 2 when I had it, but the button issue forced me back to my old Storm. It made such a bitter taste in my mouth that Blackberry would release another touchscreen that had screen problems that I finally said screw it and jumped ship to the Droid. So far I have not regretted the decision and I would personally recommend this phone to anyone that asks. The Storm is a nice phone, for what it is (just another blackberry) but its so far behind the game that it really doesn't even hold any ground on the Droid.
I agree and disagree.

Overall, assuming you were typing words that the BB Storm knows, yes the Storm 1 types WAY faster than the Droid in portrait or physical keyboard modes. However, I would say it is the same as the landscape soft keyboard on the Droid, at least until the soft keyboard is made multi touch on the Droid side of things. Then the Droid will be more comparable to the Storm 2.

If the word is not known to the Storm 1 or the Droid, I think the Droid wins out in all three situations. The portrait mode keys seem easier to type on when using the Droid than when using the portrait mode full keypad on the Storm, and having to backspace like a mad man when using the compressed portrait keyboard on the Storm 1 is a PITA.

So typing wise, I would give it to the Storm 1, but barely because the Storm still has issues trying to see what you are saying and redoes the word T9 style during typing, where as the Droid only auto-corrects after you finish typing your word and hit space which to me is better.

But, yes, in every other department the Droid craps all over the Storm. ESPECIALLY browsing, memory management, application performance and more technological advances earlier (apps->SD card, Flash, widgets, etc exist or will exist before RIM can implement them).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones