• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SE announce 2.3 in summer for x10!!

Yay :). I actually orignally read this on pulse and jumped on here to share the joy with everyone. It has been a painfully long wait but at least SE is coming around. And great idea to just jump 2.2 alltogether IMO. Hopefully everything will go smoothly when the time comes around to actually push update. I'm glad they arn't doing it OTA though seems to cut down on update problems.

**Edit
Ok so I just read the article that phandroid put up saying that the release for 2.3 will start on "generic kits". Meaning anyone with a carrier specific x10 will not be recieving the updated to begin with, I guess. This kind of sucks imo since I'm on at&t and prob wont be getting the update anytime soon.

Question.

If my phone is flashed, or debranded, (which it is) will SEUS rec my phone as a "generic kit"?

Upvote 0
My only minor concern is the release from individual carriers but I am guessing there will be someone nice on here to tell us how to change to a world generic firmware in order to get the update asap when released. But other than that, it is great news.

here you go Rose http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/208794-de-rebrand-your-x10i.html the code for worldwide generic is in the attached codes txt file at the bottom of the first post under the guide/how to..
I did this ages ago to mine (twice in total 1st to uk 2nd to worldwide) to get the updates since 1.6 as vodafone are so slow at putting them out lol plus it got rid of all the voda360 junk too haha, I love this forum

Reactions: rosered
Upvote 0
"When will the upgrade be available for me?

The roll-out is planned to start end Q2/early Q3 this year. Today, XperiaTM X10 is available in the market both in generic trade version and in versions customized for operators. Due to the resources available in this special project, we will focus on delivering trade versions of the software. Regarding possible customized operators kit we will have to get back with more information on this at a later stage. But we want to be very clear already at this stage on the fact that some of you may not get this upgrade."

It seems like they are leaving this big loophole.....

**Edit

FYI...This is straight from SE's product blog.

Upvote 0
here you go Rose http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/208794-de-rebrand-your-x10i.html the code for worldwide generic is in the attached codes txt file at the bottom of the first post under the guide/how to..
I did this ages ago to mine (twice in total 1st to uk 2nd to worldwide) to get the updates since 1.6 as vodafone are so slow at putting them out lol plus it got rid of all the voda360 junk too haha, I love this forum

This is also my biggest concern, I don't even have multi-touch yet thanks to 02...So when I'll eventually get gingerbread I doubt I'll ever see it on this current phone without having to root which I don't want to do!!!

Upvote 0
Awesome.

Once it comes out I will debrand my Rogers x10a to Generic. I can't see Rogers pushing their own version out especially with them releasing the Arc and Play shortly.

This also enhances the resale value of the x10.

The reason I can think of them doing this is that they have a lot of unsold x10 units in the world, and this may help push sales after being pressured from carriers/vendors.

But still interested in the Arc with it's Bravia Engine and Exmor sensor.

Good times ahead!!

Upvote 0
This is also my biggest concern, I don't even have multi-touch yet thanks to 02...So when I'll eventually get gingerbread I doubt I'll ever see it on this current phone without having to root which I don't want to do!!!
rooting is easy and i guess the manufacturers warranty is only 12months? not sure on that one but if anything goes wrong with the phone after a year it probably isnt covered anyway so no excuse for not rooting, its painless and the benefits are great.

very surprised to hear that SE are releasing 2.3, never thought that would happen but at the same time i think they had to do this for the sake of their reputation, not doing so would harm their sales of future products. perhaps this will restore some faith and lead the way for the future.
i love the phone still and had to go custom rom to get the best from it but at least this way it will work perfectly camera wise etc. but probably still filled with crap we can remove to make a perfect custom rom :D

Upvote 0
very surprised to hear that SE are releasing 2.3, never thought that would happen but at the same time i think they had to do this for the sake of their reputation, not doing so would harm their sales of future products.

Yes, but I think they only did it because it is so easy to do now they've done all the work on the builds for the new phones; arc, neo, pro and to a certain degree, the PLAY.

Given how easy it was, they may as well do it and score some brownie points. If it had required a lot of work and expense, they wouldn't - hence not doing anything for the X8, X10 mini or X10 mini pro - as they are all different (screen, processor, memory etc).

You can tell it's easy as they're going back to stock apps, so the camera app becomes the native one, you lose some other apps, Mediascape goes.. and the update will clear all data. It's non-reversable, so you'll also need to decide whether to do it or not (I am sure nobody will opt against upgrading though).

But, well done to SE anyway - even though the work involved was pretty minimal. :)

Upvote 0
I'm a n00b when it comes to phones and sotfware etc so hope someone can help me out. Now i've heardx10 is getting 2.3 i'm very interested in purchasing but heard it won't be available for everyone due to network carriers?, if i were to say purchase this phone via an auction site and it was unlocked would this mean i would be ok to update once 2.3 arrives?, i would either need it unlocked or on t-mobile (as thats the current network i'm with) cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones