• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
There is only one I'll use and trust: Mobile Lookout Security. they are the ones that Verizon promotes as well. Been using them for a Long time and its been nice so far. You can do quite a bit with it: remote wipe, geo-locate, sound the alarm for missing phone, backup, etc. I just use the free version though.

What are the verizon ones and are they better or the same as
Mobile lookout?

Upvote 0
does seek droid use SMS or data to contact the phone?

I'm not sure... How can I find out for you? I know it doesn't send a text to the phone when I use the locator online. Does that mean No? I always felt that was weird from lookout, kind of like a warning to a would be thief, "excuse me, GPS is turning on because somebody is tracking the phone" LOL It also has a "hide app" feature...

edit: I'm using with Lookout Free version, not in place of. Lookout Premium is overpriced IMO

Upvote 0
I emailed the dev and they stated SeekDroid uses data. This is good for me since I use google voice for SMS.
I can now uninstall:
lookout - uses SMS - i used it for virus scanning
mobile recovery: uses SMS - logs locations every hour (eats the battery more than I like)
----------
i went with Seekdroid. It is only $.99 atm and is worth every penny!

Upvote 0
This is a follow up to the info from Maher above...."I read the Market comments about Seek Droid and it says the following, which doens't seem all that great: Be careful though - the remote lock feature basically just adds a standard lock screen to your phone. It won't take effect while the phone is in use."

FYI for those not familiar with Seek Droid: After logging into www.seekdroid.com with your username and secret code, you chose Lock (obviously, right!). You're prompted to enter a new lock code. A brief message appears: "Attempting to lock device". It then changes to "Sending message to Google, please wait." A Google map appears on most of the screen. If your phone already has a lock code (pattern lock or numeric), it will change it to the new code. If you don't have a lock, it will apply one. Interestingly, Seek Droid does not immediately include a message on your computer that the code was applied successfully. I've sent a command to change the code and it changed within 2 mins, but the "Sending message to Google" popup remained for 5+ minutes after it actually locked. Eventually, "Device Locked" appeared. Also, the Google Map does not change or adjust to the phone's location using the lock command. You must click the Locate button to change the map.

Based on the info from Maher, I tested 2 scenarios: (1) phone is on and unlocked (screen is on...I'm navigating through the phone and opening/closing apps...not letting the phone lock), and (2) during a call. In the first cases, Seek Droid changed the code. As I was playing with the phone, the screen went blank...when I woke it up, the new lock code was required.

In the second case, I connected a call and stayed connected for 5 mins. The phone never received or accepted the command to change the code.

So...it appears Seek Droid works with the phone on...but not during a call.

**UPDATE**: I originally posted that the lock command did not work even after ending a call...if the command was sent during a call. I confirmed this with 3 different tests. I recommended that you re-send the lock command over an extended period with the hope that one of the commands might reach the phone while its not on a call. After further testing, I had instances where I sent a command during a call, hung up, then 1-2 minutes later the lock command arrived and the phone locked. I did not have to re-send it like the original tests suggested.

Upvote 0
Lex, when I look up Seek Droid, I still see the 99Cents price??

Bassett, that's awesome. Thanks for testing it. I wish it would just shut the phone down regardless of the state it is in. "Sorry, punk, you're messing with the wrong Droid!" :)
Still curious how the wipe would work, but for obvious reasons, I won't ask you to test that! ;)

Upvote 0
Here is a copy/paste of a review I posted at XDA in response to someone who asked for comments on Seek Droid....

"I can gave you a brief snapshot [after finishing my write up I realized it wasn't so brief]. Note: I haven't lost my phone yet so I've only been able to test it. Also, I have not tested other Droid locator apps so I have no point of reference. I've tested this on a Droid X.

Setup is a breeze. The user is asked to enter a username and secret code. The app goes through a registration process. The main screen of the app (on the phone) is organized as follows: View Website; Your SeekDroid.com Login; View Help; Current Status [Registered]; Your Secret Code; Options for Enabling remote formmating of the phone and SD card; Option for retrieving call history settings; Terms of Service; and Contact Us.

At the Seek Droid website, you're asked to enter your username and secret code. A top line menu appears, as follows: Locate; Alarm; Calls; Hide; Lock; Wipe; Help; and Log Out. Locate does just what it suggests: the webpage sends out a search command and a Google map displays the location. The Alarm options prompts you to type a message to be sent to the phone. Once the message arrives, the message pops up on the phone's screen and it beeps and will continue to beep until the screen is touched. When the screen is touched, you're taken to the slide-to-unlock screen. If your phone is secured with a password, you'll be directed to the unlock screen (pattern or keypad). Calls displays a recent call list. Hide triggers your device to hide the Seek Droid app from you list of apps (in your app drawer). Reboot is required. With Lock, you're prompted to assign a new digit lock code (digits only, not a new pattern lock). Whether your device already has a lock code or pattern lock, the new code is applied. I, for example, have a pattern lock. I changed the lock code remotely with Seek Droid and it changed it to the new code I sent. With Wipe you are given a prompt to ensure that's what you want to do. I did not test this feature. I might backup my SD card and try the wipe feature for that...I'll report the results later if I do.

I've tested the app indoors and outside, with GPS on and off. It finds it every time, usually within 3 minutes. I keep Use Wireless Networks and Enable Assisted GPS activated in the Settings screen on my device. Also, I have an app protector app that locks apps on my phone (along the lines of App Protector). I have Settings locked (requires a password to access). Seek Droid is able to change the unlock code remotely with Settings protected and unprotected.

Naturally, Seek Droid does not find my phone when it's turned off or in flight mode. Seek Droid does not provide advanced user controls like deleting individual apps, turning off/on GPS, remotely turning on your phone, etc.

Locating my phone worked with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. Javascript must be enabled.

One final comment: I encountered an issue with one of my computers locating my phone. I contacted Seek Droid support and received a response within 1 hour. Very helpful and responsive...kudos to them. After some troubleshooting, I discovered the problem rested with my computer. Seek Droid worked well from every other computers I have access to (rather than troubleshoot the problem with the one computer, I simply won't use that one to log in to Seek Droid in an emergency). So, my advice is to test the app from various computers so you know which one to use if and when you actually lose your phone.

I recommend the app based on my limited testing. I also recommend that you use this in conjunction with a device password or pattern lock (or an app protector app to prevent removal of Seek Droid). You simply want to set up controls so another person can't easily uninstall the app or deregister the device."

Upvote 0
Thanks for testing it. I wish it would just shut the phone down regardless of the state it is in. "Sorry, punk, you're messing with the wrong Droid!" :)

Along those lines, I tested the "Alarm" feature of Seek Droid. This allows you to send a message of your choice that pops up on the phone's screen (along with an audible alert). Like the lock feature, the phone DOES NOT receive the message while a call is active. However, after hanging up, the Alarm arrived (without having to resend the alarm command).

Same result with the Locate feature: Will not find during an active call. Hang up...phone located.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones