• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sense UI on Nexus One

when you install Sense, do you still have the OTA backup feature, like with 2.1? also - is integration with Gmail the same? or is the Gmail app not available with the Sense version? the vid seemed to show there wasn't a Gmail option, but I find that hard to believe...
No mention of the separate Gmail app, just that there wasn't a Gmail option in the Sense email client. Silly thing to say when Gmail IMAP4 will work just fine.

Upvote 0
I've been dicking around with it. Not a huge fan of Sense (hate that big bottom tab), but I must say that the ROM is amazing especially for something that's supposed to be unfinished. A lot of HTC's apps are a big improvement upon the stock ones--music and youtube apps in particular. Color me stunned.

I have it running on my Nexus and I'm a fan as well. Much better integration with Exchange for business people who need that. I was using Moxier under 2.1, but HTC's implementation is much better. The Widgets are also better than most out there.

The only issue I have seen so far is that Bluetooth is kind of messed up. really hard to synch with my car and after synching successfully I really can't get it to work consistently.

Overall, though the ROM is much more snappier than the stock setup on 2.1 Update 1. Probably due to Moxier and the other apps I need to run, but overall I'm a fan of this new Desire ROM. Just get bluetooth fixed and I'm happy!

Upvote 0
are you serious??? wow....

Gmail works the same as it did under 2.1 on the stock rom. You have a GMail app. I like it that way anyway. You can add additional clients under the HTC email app, but I haven't tried to add Gmail using the exchange settings. I would suspect it should work though.

Updated! I just tested GMail under the HTC email app on the Desire ROM and it works fine. i think I'll still run with a separate Gmail setup

Upvote 0
I have it running on my Nexus and I'm a fan as well. Much better integration with Exchange for business people who need that. I was using Moxier under 2.1, but HTC's implementation is much better. The Widgets are also better than most out there.

The only issue I have seen so far is that Bluetooth is kind of messed up. really hard to synch with my car and after synching successfully I really can't get it to work consistently.

Overall, though the ROM is much more snappier than the stock setup on 2.1 Update 1. Probably due to Moxier and the other apps I need to run, but overall I'm a fan of this new Desire ROM. Just get bluetooth fixed and I'm happy!

I'm not bothered about the lack of bluetooth, so my main gripe is that some of the unpolished aspects and my preference for the stock contacts app over HTC's (though I could probably adb push it or something, or else show my gratitude and subscribe to Modaco Adfree), but yeah. Mostly waiting for Paul to fix the camera MP limitation, then I'm good.

Upvote 0
I'm not bothered about the lack of bluetooth, so my main gripe is that some of the unpolished aspects and my preference for the stock contacts app over HTC's (though I could probably adb push it or something, or else show my gratitude and subscribe to Modaco Adfree), but yeah. Mostly waiting for Paul to fix the camera MP limitation, then I'm good.

even in Alpha 9 still bluetooth has issue and not yet fixed camera issue. still FM not working... maybe in final version, but need to wait for a few days....
23/Feb Alpha 9 - MoDaCo Custom ROM with HTC Sense (Desire ROM) - now with online kitchen! - Android @ MoDaCo

Upvote 0
alpha 10 is out now

• Now includes Teknologist's TCK 0.5. Minor config tweaks to bring config closer to that of the original Bravo after we obtained stock Bravo config.
  • Minor updates to boot image, should fix issues with key backlights and repeat notifications. Also adds flashing LED for notifications.
i'm still running 9, i'll probably reflash when i get home tonight... so many issues with this rom...

Upvote 0
take a look at this. Comes with a few extra goodies left out that are only available with the kitchen ;)

[ROM] NexDESIRE_v1.1_REMIX!!! Camera Flash Working! 2/24/2010 =) - xda-developers

That being said, the bugs aren't too bad. In fact to be honest, it's hard to tell what's a bug, and whats just different. If you want a smoother interface to play with and some nifty widgets, it's a good thing. otherwise, I'd stick to cynogens rom or vanilla android (If you have not unlocked your bootloader)

Upvote 0
I had it running on my Nexus for the last couple of days. Here are my thoughts:

1. From a productivity perspective, the Sense UI is incredible. It is easier to use and easier to navigate.
2. The activesync integration is great since it also applies to the calendar (I just don't get why Google didn't include it in the N1)
3. The concept of having multiple profiles/configurations is neat.
4. The apps seem much better. The email client is great in that it allows filtering, signatures, searches, etc.
5. Overall integration of contacts and the ability to see all items relating to a specific contact is also neat.

Here are the issues:

1. Google Voice does not integrate into HTC's dialer. This means that all calls are made using the actual phone's number and not your Google Voice number.
2. Push does not seem to work for ActiveSync.
3. It is overly graphical. I personally like cleaner user interfaces better.
4. Bluetooth is completely messed up. My car's BT system will not pick up the bluetooth settings.

After using it for a couple of days, I took it off. For me, the GV integration and Push issues are a big issue.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Upvote 0
Jim, the big thing that i've been noticing is
-the text messaging datestamping is off by several minutes. i don't know if you do a lot of texting, but i probably send about 200/day and they all say the ones i'm recieving are from about 3m in the future.

-as you say, the BT is messed up. for me, i don't care, i live in MA where handsfree isn't a requirement to use a cell while driving :D
-as for the google voice, it still uses the google voice vm system, so alls well there, since that was all i needed it for anyways.
-the camera phone is a big deal for me, i want those MP back!
-the radio seems like a neat little toy, but in reality, i don't remember the last time i listened to FM radio. i have sirius and an MP3 player in the car, and an ipod and the phone as mp3 players. what does FM have to offer me that i can't get through one of these outlets? crappy reception and advertisements? pssssh.
-the softkeys at the bottom of the screen don't light up. i thought they were supposed to with the install of A10, but the don't. in fact, i see no difference at all between 9-10.

the only other issue that comes to mind is that after installing the rom, it got stuck on the splash screen. i had to go back to the bootloader and reinstall the rom again, without wiping. this happened with alpha 9 & 10. no idea what caused this.

that's all i've got right now.
-J

Upvote 0
Jim, the big thing that i've been noticing is
-the text messaging datestamping is off by several minutes. i don't know if you do a lot of texting, but i probably send about 200/day and they all say the ones i'm recieving are from about 3m in the future.
true, but i pushed (installed via adb) the Mms.apk from cyan's 5.0.2 release to correct this issue. installing the aforementioned version of Mms.apk brought back the Nexus One stock SMS app.
-the softkeys at the bottom of the screen don't light up. i thought they were supposed to with the install of A10, but the don't. in fact, i see no difference at all between 9-10.
for whatever reason, i have not encountered this problem with any of the Alpha versions from 7-10.
the only other issue that comes to mind is that after installing the rom, it got stuck on the splash screen. i had to go back to the bootloader and reinstall the rom again, without wiping. this happened with alpha 9 & 10. no idea what caused this.that's all i've got right now.
-J
there's some thought this could be the result of not wiping/wiping the davlik-cache before flashing, but, i haven't read concrete evidence to support this assertion. since i only use a few apps (<10) and restore via settings file backed up to my SD card, i always wipe (e.g., reset) and then wipe the davlik-cache before flashing any ROM. could be wipe overkill though, lol.

Upvote 0
thanks. incidentally i ran the 1.1 remix for the last couple days. it's decent, they fixed a few things. it appears that they broke something though, the power button no longer serves as a lock button and sense itself is forceclosing occasionally. i think that i'm going to load the cyanogen rom until the sense bugs are worked out a bit more. maybe after they have a stable beta with the camera jacked up to the full capacity and the other bugs worked out. i really shouldnt have to pull apk's from other images just to fix the datestamping. that's just too much, imho. it's a great ui, and i'm not looking forward to going back to a vanilla ui where my weather, email, twitter, fb, and everything else arent built into the forefront of the phone... but i feel that it's just too early to use it right now.

Upvote 0
@SnotF - i completely understand your position... i pushed the Mms.apk because i also like the stock Android txt msg interface. i'm willing to live with the Modaco Alpha 10 version (or, on the edge) for the time being, primarily due to exchange integration. on the other hand, if something fubars before another stable release is available, i'll go back to stock Android.

Upvote 0
I had it running on my Nexus for the last couple of days. Here are my thoughts:

1. From a productivity perspective, the Sense UI is incredible. It is easier to use and easier to navigate.
2. The activesync integration is great since it also applies to the calendar (I just don't get why Google didn't include it in the N1)
3. The concept of having multiple profiles/configurations is neat.
4. The apps seem much better. The email client is great in that it allows filtering, signatures, searches, etc.
5. Overall integration of contacts and the ability to see all items relating to a specific contact is also neat.

Here are the issues:

1. Google Voice does not integrate into HTC's dialer. This means that all calls are made using the actual phone's number and not your Google Voice number.
2. Push does not seem to work for ActiveSync.
3. It is overly graphical. I personally like cleaner user interfaces better.
4. Bluetooth is completely messed up. My car's BT system will not pick up the bluetooth settings.

After using it for a couple of days, I took it off. For me, the GV integration and Push issues are a big issue.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Did the google voice dialer integrate for the Droid Eris or is this just a bug because of an alpha build?

This is important to me because I'm going to move to Verizon when the Incredible and N1 come out and I'm going to use GV for me and my wife. I need to keep it as simple as possible for her.

Upvote 0
I thought disabling sense disabled some eye candy, but left the Sense People application/dialer?

I am in the same boat, where my wife and I want new phones, but want to use google voice for SMS/calls. I was hoping to pick up an incredible when it comes out, but if it can't easily call a contact using GV, I'll have to wait for nexus one to come out if/whenever that happens...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones