• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I get this phone?

goat200

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Hiya, first post here and long term iphone user (regrettably),

Basically I am not sure if i should get this phone, I mean by the looks of it the specs are amazing, but its just some little things. Being new to android i have no idea as to how far you can go with customisation and I was wondering if on the SGS you can change the horrible UI/Skin to the same as the one on the Nexus S which I really like?

I am stuck for choice between this and the nexus s basically.

Thanks

Hiya, first post here and long term iphone user (regrettably),

Basically I am not sure if i should get this phone, I mean by the looks of it the specs are amazing, but its just some little things. Being new to android i have no idea as to how far you can go with customisation and I was wondering if on the SGS you can change the horrible UI/Skin to the same as the one on the Nexus S which I really like?

I am stuck for choice between this and the nexus s basically.

Thanks

Yes you can change the UI, the gingerbread launcher is available free on the market.

Reactions: goat200
Upvote 0
Make sure the GPS :rolleyes: works before you leave with it and also I would not expect any updates, but then again who has a phone long enough for that anymore anyway. I can say this is my second samsung and i am never doing this again, I dont care if the phone has a 3D display and a Quadcore processor. good luck though keep us updated and may G_D have mercy on Samsungs souls.

Upvote 0
So we will be able to disable all that pre-loaded garbage if we want too yarp?

There isn't any "pre loaded garbage" on Samsung Android phones apart from the UI changes which look nice tbh.

Everything else is stock Android except the lockscreen and Applications folder.
The application folder can be changed with a launcher from Market but not lockscreen.

Getting a Nexus S over this phone is stupid.

The Galaxy S2 is super thin, its dual core, faster gpu, 8MP 1080p camera with flash, 20% better battery than previous Galaxy S, SAMOLED Plus.

It's better than a Nexus S in every way.

Upvote 0
but i just really like the stock android look, so there is no way to simply 'delete' or 'disable' the samsung stuff?

So let me get this straight, your going to choose which phone to get based on which icons you think look better? :D

There is nothing wrong with the Samsung stuff, The Galaxy S has and still has the best video player available.

Upvote 0
lol i know it sounds stupid buti dont like the touchwiz look at all, i mean is there a way to disable it so i can have the standard lock screen and home etc?

I don't even know what the standard lock screen looks like, I've never used a "Google" phone.

We don't know what the lock screen looks like the Galaxy S2 yet, it's using an updated version of touchwiz.

Upvote 0
lol i know it sounds stupid buti dont like the touchwiz look at all, i mean is there a way to disable it so i can have the standard lock screen and home etc?

Only a custom ROM can change the lock screen but in my experience Samsung Android phones have had more access to the filesystem so an app could appear in Market.

For the current Galaxy S there are a few awesome ROM's that have various options for lock screen including Stock Android but you can get rid of TouchWiz with ADW Launcher which is a better stock Android launcher. So I expect the S2 to get a lot of Awesome ROM's.

As above, the lock screen of Galaxy S2 has not been shown yet. The icons in TW4 although are stock Android and not like in TW3.

Also the TW3 UI is very similar to the iPhone's square icons so I take it you don't like the square icons on your iPhone...

Upvote 0
I just saw S2 hand-on video at phonearena.com and they ran Quadrant benchmark that scored only around 1950. But LG Optimus 3D got like 2900. I know that Quadrant is not really optimized for multi-cores, and this is early demo phone but so is Optimus 3D. It's bit disappointing for S2, their much hyped Exynos(orion) processor and all of sudden LG's 2X, 3D are looking better to me. I wonder what's causing this difference and if they are still using notorious RFS file system. So what you think of this result?

Upvote 0
I just saw S2 hand-on video at phonearena.com and they ran Quadrant benchmark that scored only around 1950. But LG Optimus 3D got like 2900. I know that Quadrant is not really optimized for multi-cores, and this is early demo phone but so is Optimus 3D. It's bit disappointing for S2, their much hyped Exynos(orion) processor and all of sudden LG's 2X, 3D are looking better to me. I wonder what's causing this difference and if they are still using notorious RFS file system. So what you think of this result?

I think we should stop using quadrant, been saying that for over a year and I still don't understand why people still use it.

But it's possible the Galaxy S2 is not using a firmware version which supports dual core and it wouldn't supprise me if they are still using RFS but I don't have a problem with it in the latest firmware for the SGS.

Upvote 0
I'd still wait till iPhone 5 tbh, then see which is better and hopefully the S2 will be a bit cheaper and any problems, if any will have been fixed.

This is good advice, and exactly what I am doing, granted not for the iphone, but jumping on a phone in a hurry is exactly what I did and wound up with a phone that had no GPS and terrible support. I want the Atrix bad but I am waiting till its out for a few months and who knows what else will be coming out in that time. Plus a new phone sucks until there is a nice rom to flash on it and they will be in developement for a while. Long story short sometimes its better to wait.

Upvote 0
If you're asking if you can change the whole "look and feel" of the phone not just the icons themsevles, then yes you can using launchers or if you really want an improvement you can root your phone and install a custom ROM, myself i'm hoping that cyanogen will be supported on this device, which is very likely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones