• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should I turn off WiFi when I turn on 3G?

Not for me.
The wifi signal bar should replace the "3G" icon if you have wifi on. This isn't the case for you?

If you have wifi, leave it on and it will automatically default that as the main source. But if you're not within wifi range, turn it off so it doesn't use any power trying to scan for open ports to connect to.

Upvote 0
The wifi signal bar should replace the "3G" icon if you have wifi on. This isn't the case for you?

If you have wifi, leave it on and it will automatically default that as the main source. But if you're not within wifi range, turn it off so it doesn't use any power trying to scan for open ports to connect to.

Really, you still see the 1x/3G icon in the top bar even when you are connected to wifi!?
CAP2010062014381.jpg

I do indeed.

Upvote 0
I should put it this way. It doesn't turn it off, but it doesn't use it either. When you turn the WiFi on the phone defaults to that for all internet related traffic. The 3G is effectively asleep at that point. The only time it will be active is when you're sending or receiving picture/video messages.
Is there any (battery) advantage to turning off the Wifi when you know there's none available?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones