• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I update to 2.2?

If you back up you can always restore and you'll be okay. But a couple things to consider about the 2.2s out there. There are some bugs still in them but see what the bugs and and if you use that feature. I think it's USB mounting, mms, and camera but I'm not 100% on those. The latest rumored date (when it comes out I'll believe it's out) is Monday the 28th, so you may want to wait a couple more days and see.

Another option you have is Icarus 1.1 (I'm using it). And since it is basically a streamlined version based on the official 2.1. It's got all the bloatware removed and some improvements. Icarus has one MAJOR advantage (if you have a lot of apps) and that is it's a2sd. Now Froyo does support Apps2sd but only if the apps are designed for it. But a2sd moves all of the apps onto your sd card because it "tricks" the phone into thinking they are in the phone not on the card. It will also put your Dalvik cache on the sd card too (you have to manually do that though) to free up even more memory.

Good luck on whatever you decide:D

P.S. I may try the Official 2.2 but I will probably go back to Icarus until someone tweaks it.

Upvote 0
If you back up you can always restore and you'll be okay. But a couple things to consider about the 2.2s out there. There are some bugs still in them but see what the bugs and and if you use that feature. I think it's USB mounting, mms, and camera but I'm not 100% on those. The latest rumored date (when it comes out I'll believe it's out) is Monday the 28th, so you may want to wait a couple more days and see.

Another option you have is Icarus 1.1 (I'm using it). And since it is basically a streamlined version based on the official 2.1. It's got all the bloatware removed and some improvements. Icarus has one MAJOR advantage (if you have a lot of apps) and that is it's a2sd. Now Froyo does support Apps2sd but only if the apps are designed for it. But a2sd moves all of the apps onto your sd card because it "tricks" the phone into thinking they are in the phone not on the card. It will also put your Dalvik cache on the sd card too (you have to manually do that though) to free up even more memory.

P.S. I may try the Official 2.2 but I will probably go back to Icarus until someone tweaks it.

Thanks alot and I suppose i'll just wait until the 28th, that'll give me time to think and hopefully the update would come by then.

Upvote 0

@ Anduiril
the offical 2.2 will be out on March 28th ?
how do u know ? r u for sure about that
or its like he said she said ?
Apps2sd app on andriod market
only allow app design for it ?

Upvote 0
@ Anduiril
I doubt if it will come out on the 28th. They have not even announced a date. I don't think they will just announce on monday "hey, everybody, froyo is out today, come and get it." They will give some warning first. I hope I'm wrong. (for you metro people)

Upvote 0
@ Anduiril

As for the 28th, that is the latest rumored date. And the release (whenever it comes out) will be from Huawei so it should hit Metro and Cricket at the same time.

And Apps2sd on the Market will only work for apps designed for it unlike what comes with Icarus. There are a couple threads about it in All Things Root section. And in one of them one of the Mods goes into detail about it. I'm doing this post from my phone and can't post the link to it here, sorry.

Upvote 0
it will be released by Huawei but will have to go through the carriers because they have different bloatware to put on it. Metro announced it first, so they will probably get it first. Of course, it will probably get leaked onto the internet before the official release anyway, and someone will port the metro version to cricket. People are impatient like that. Lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones