1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Should I update to 2.2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The Prodigy, Mar 25, 2011.

1. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I'm really contemplating on if I should update to 2.2 but I'm just so cautious and don't want this to interfere with the real update. I need help!!!:eek:

Advertisement

one80bysummer1 likes this.
  2. Anduiril

Anduiril Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    Electronics Technician
    Orlando, FL
    If you back up you can always restore and you'll be okay. But a couple things to consider about the 2.2s out there. There are some bugs still in them but see what the bugs and and if you use that feature. I think it's USB mounting, mms, and camera but I'm not 100% on those. The latest rumored date (when it comes out I'll believe it's out) is Monday the 28th, so you may want to wait a couple more days and see.

Another option you have is Icarus 1.1 (I'm using it). And since it is basically a streamlined version based on the official 2.1. It's got all the bloatware removed and some improvements. Icarus has one MAJOR advantage (if you have a lot of apps) and that is it's a2sd. Now Froyo does support Apps2sd but only if the apps are designed for it. But a2sd moves all of the apps onto your sd card because it "tricks" the phone into thinking they are in the phone not on the card. It will also put your Dalvik cache on the sd card too (you have to manually do that though) to free up even more memory.

Good luck on whatever you decide:D

P.S. I may try the Official 2.2 but I will probably go back to Icarus until someone tweaks it.

yasin810 and The Prodigy like this.
  3. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Thanks alot and I suppose i'll just wait until the 28th, that'll give me time to think and hopefully the update would come by then.

4. starr1048

starr1048 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Somewhere Out There
    @ Anduiril
    the offical 2.2 will be out on March 28th ?
    how do u know ? r u for sure about that
    or its like he said she said ?
    Apps2sd app on andriod market
    only allow app design for it ?

5. Treydude

Treydude Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Austin Texas
    Starr, Metro only, thus far will be putting out the update for the Ascend, if you are on Cricket ya gotta wait :(

6. dbradford32

dbradford32 Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Resident Assistant
    Clearlake, California
    I wonder if someone like Isaac is going to put out a streamlined version of 2.2, and make it a new Icarus... lol

7. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Male
    Arborist (tree man)
    Miami, FL

Eventually

8. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    I doubt if it will come out on the 28th. They have not even announced a date. I don't think they will just announce on monday "hey, everybody, froyo is out today, come and get it." They will give some warning first. I hope I'm wrong. (for you metro people)

9. Anduiril

Anduiril Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    Electronics Technician
    Orlando, FL

As for the 28th, that is the latest rumored date. And the release (whenever it comes out) will be from Huawei so it should hit Metro and Cricket at the same time.

And Apps2sd on the Market will only work for apps designed for it unlike what comes with Icarus. There are a couple threads about it in All Things Root section. And in one of them one of the Mods goes into detail about it. I'm doing this post from my phone and can't post the link to it here, sorry.

10. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    it will be released by Huawei but will have to go through the carriers because they have different bloatware to put on it. Metro announced it first, so they will probably get it first. Of course, it will probably get leaked onto the internet before the official release anyway, and someone will port the metro version to cricket. People are impatient like that. Lol