• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sick and tired of junk Motorola phones...

Long story short... In the past two years I have had about 10 Motorola smart phones and only one so far actually works, likely because it is only a week old Bionic.

Two years ago I started with an original Droid. That bricked itself during an OTA update, got a "factory certified like new" replacement, I cracked the screen on that one (this is the only phone that was my fault) insurance claim got me another like new replacement. I ended up having bad luck with the next two or three replacements they sent me so finally they gave me a free of charge upgrade to the Droid 2 Global.

All seemed well with that phone, I was very happy. It was a brand new phone, in the box with all accessories etc not a refurb. Well, after a couple months the touch screen went crazy and would start shaking and scrolling on it's own. Of course I got a "like new" replacement for it, which lasted about a month, and since then I have been through three of those as well.

After getting fed up with this when my latest Droid 2 replacement bit the dust I agreed to jump up to the Bionic which I currently have had for about a week now and am happy with it, but with the history of garbage that I have had I just don't trust it.

The reason that I am posting about all of this? I got my girlfriend a Droid 3 maybe four months ago and yesterday it started messing up. It got worse and worse until tonight and now the touch screen is completely unresponsive even after multiple battery pulls. We can't even unlock the phone to do anything with it. Maybe one out of every 20 or 30 tries it will work but as soon as it shuts down it locks back up again. Sometimes the screen is completely black except a small bit on top and bottom, other times it is scattered colors everywhere, other times it looks completely normal.

I am just tired of getting garbage phones, I am starting to think I shouldn't have gotten the Bionic now. I plan to call Motorola first thing in the morning to see if they can do anything for me to correct this issue. I am not rough on my phones, like I said, only one of the issues was ever my fault.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Sure they have all been under warranty and I have never had any issue getting a replacement, but it is getting EXTREMELY OLD having to set up a new phone completely every month or two.

with any OEM... i have heard bad stories in each camp.

1. you got unlucky
2. you are being hard with the hardware...(but you just dont know it)
3. something outside your control is messing your phone. (really hard to happen)

i am going to think.. you just got unlucky a few times.

Upvote 0
Motorola phones have always had excellent build quailty, I've had a few and never had a problem with any of them and ive thrown my phone at a wall full speed when my and the g/f were fighting. Only thin that happened is the back case came off and the battery came out. Popped it back in and worked fine. In terms of build quality Motorola is the best in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones