• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

benny279

Lurker
May 11, 2013
Hello,

So I'll be descriptive as possible (considering how early it is! :p) so my S2 isn't factory unlocked as it was originally on contract with Orange UK but I went off them on due date, and not going through the proper channels of unlocking I rooted it and used Galaxy Sim Unlock (paid for the pro version) unlocked....yes, that's all good now my sim unlock won't budge between flashes/updates! :)

I then got 4.1.2 via OTA when I was on ICS early this year, signal issues back then? no! nothing of the sort, I had fab signal! But then I changed rom to be rooted (custom rom for 4.1.2 with fancy features etc you get the idea? yes? good!)

But then I didn't like and I wanted to go back to stock, and look what happened I'm constantly on rubbish signal! I've flashed multiple modems and nothing changes! :(

I just can't live with this signal, a phone with rubbish signal is no phone to put it bluntly!

But here's my info you tech heads may need to assist me:

*#1234# =

PDA: I9100XWLSD
PHONE: I9100XXLS8
CSC: I9100FOPLS4

Build Info: Thu Jan 31 14:30:29 KST 2013

Network = Virgin Mobile UK

Signal Strength = -103 dBm 5 asu

Now I will mention this, it does say on the back of the phone left-hand side before Orange logo I9100P........but I thought the "P" variant wasn't available in the UK? and Jelly Bean isn't available in UK for "P" variant unless of course you opt in for Italy TIM....which is out of the question for this...

I'm at wits end with this, so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction or give an idea what i need to do to solve this signal issue then it will be sooooo much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Benny :)

Hello,

So I'll be descriptive as possible (considering how early it is! :p) so my S2 isn't factory unlocked as it was originally on contract with Orange UK but I went off them on due date, and not going through the proper channels of unlocking I rooted it and used Galaxy Sim Unlock (paid for the pro version) unlocked....yes, that's all good now my sim unlock won't budge between flashes/updates! :)

I then got 4.1.2 via OTA when I was on ICS early this year, signal issues back then? no! nothing of the sort, I had fab signal! But then I changed rom to be rooted (custom rom for 4.1.2 with fancy features etc you get the idea? yes? good!)

But then I didn't like and I wanted to go back to stock, and look what happened I'm constantly on rubbish signal! I've flashed multiple modems and nothing changes! :(

I just can't live with this signal, a phone with rubbish signal is no phone to put it bluntly!

But here's my info you tech heads may need to assist me:

*#1234# =

PDA: I9100XWLSD
PHONE: I9100XXLS8
CSC: I9100FOPLS4

Build Info: Thu Jan 31 14:30:29 KST 2013

Network = Virgin Mobile UK

Signal Strength = -103 dBm 5 asu

Now I will mention this, it does say on the back of the phone left-hand side before Orange logo I9100P........but I thought the "P" variant wasn't available in the UK? and Jelly Bean isn't available in UK for "P" variant unless of course you opt in for Italy TIM....which is out of the question for this...

I'm at wits end with this, so if someone could kindly point me in the right direction or give an idea what i need to do to solve this signal issue then it will be sooooo much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Benny :)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums benny279! :)

Thanks for the comprehensive run-down of your problem. It's nice to get all the information straight away.

Just to recap...

You have the NFC, (Near Field Communication), enabled, "P", variant phone, GT-i9100P, which is available in the UK, (notably, through Orange), that is rooted and now on the stock, Samsung, Spainish, FOP, firmware for CSC code, LSD. See post #1.1, here, for an explanation of CSC codes.

You are now using the Virgin Mobile network which, if I remember correctly, piggy backs on T-Mobile, and you are receiving a very poor signal, -103 dBm 5 asu. This could be down to your network or location I'm afraid. It might be worth putting your sim in other phones and other carriers sims in yours so that you can check.

Right, here are your options...

1. If you do not need the NFC capability of the GT-i9100P firmware, you could flash, using the instructions in #1.7 of the Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide the latest, I9100XWLSS, firmware, JB, Android 4.1.2, for the GT-i9100 for the UK. This has the MS2 modem which has proved to be very good for a lot of people.

2. If you require the NFC capability that is built into the, "P", variant you can either flash the only JB stock firmware that has been released for that model which, as you quite rightly say, is the Italian, TIM, carrier branded firmware which doe include the English language pack.... and TIM bloatware. Alternatively you could flash the ICS, Orange, stock firmware, LPE. Neither of these will necessarily improve your signal I'm afraid but will restore NFC. There are also, I believe, some custom JB ROM's for the, "P", variant that you could Google.

3. As you are rooted, you could just flash the MS2 modem or a selection of others, to see if they help improve your signal as there is no one modem that will suit all operators and locations and it is a case of trial and error. For more information on modems and RIL's as well as instructions regarding their installation and downloads, see the Modems - Dummies Guide. For the latest modems and discussion thread, see, Latest i9100 modems. It might be an idea to post there to see what firmwares?ROM's and modems other Virgin customers are using.

4. You could flash, as you are rooted, the latest LSS ROM with the MS2 modem by using the very popular NEAT ROM, here.

Hopefully the above has pointed you in the right direction and you can grab yourself a coffee and start reading. :coffee:

Reactions: benny279
Upvote 0
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Aha I just like to provide people with all info straight away so they no time is wasted in getting the problem sorted. Always works well I think :)

Back on subject , I have no use for NFC not many people do hence why I think Google disable in most roms (my assumption) etc so that isn't an issue for me.

Now, I tried this trick or should I say messing about and see where it gets me? Well I turned network mode from auto to GSM only, this of course gives me lovely signal even full bars at time! But with crappy 2g Internet (not what you expect from piggy-back t-mobile is it). Now on wdcdma only, it locks and fluctuates from 1-2 bars with 3G-H+ which is great but then you get rubbish signal.

So it's like one of the give and take games, now I'm not really a brainbox on phones haha on other hand cars is as I work on cars daily....

So I'm thinking maybe a mast has gone down or isn't working right, cause yesterday around my friends area when I picked him up signal flew to 3 bars and stayed there didn't budge...

Sorry, for long essay but rather explain everything than throw little bits there and there :D

Benny

Upvote 0
From what you have just posted, I would be inclined to agree with you about the carrier signal or mast benny279. I'm afraid that no amount of modem flashing can change that. I have heard that there is a lot of work going on with upgrading to 4G so that might be your problem. You could always contacr Virgin Mobile and check on the status of your local masts.

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
Thanks DonB!

Didn't know where to post this sort of thing haha (newb post :D)

Does this NFC thing have any affect on the signal strength, my knowledge on phone hardware is good to an extent but never really looked in to NFC. I know it's something to do with pairing devices when they meet one another...

Apparently I have two masts for Orange (EE) which Virgin use for their 3G data, and the masts aren't that far away from my house no joke!

One is for GSM and one is for UMTS which I believe high speed internet and GSM well that's 2G internet if I'm rightly correct?

Then, there's other masts for Vodafone and 02 network which is irrelevant as I'm on Virgin so they wouldn't be used.

As I said I never had signal issues before when I was updated to Jelly Bean via OTA from Ice Cream Sandwich which is puzzling me, which in turn is making me think overtime and think there's gotta be a simple solution to this....

BTW I appreciate all the help so far!

Benny

Upvote 0
Does this NFC thing have any affect on the signal strength, my knowledge on phone hardware is good to an extent but never really looked in to NFC. I know it's something to do with pairing devices when they meet one another...

None whatsoever.

What is NFC and why is it in your phone?

Apparently I have two masts for Orange (EE) which Virgin use for their 3G data, and the masts aren't that far away from my house no joke!

One is for GSM and one is for UMTS which I believe high speed internet and GSM well that's 2G internet if I'm rightly correct?

Then, there's other masts for Vodafone and 02 network which is irrelevant as I'm on Virgin so they wouldn't be used.

As I said I never had signal issues before when I was updated to Jelly Bean via OTA from Ice Cream Sandwich which is puzzling me, which in turn is making me think overtime and think there's gotta be a simple solution to this....

Updating to JB would not normally cause a loss of signal. Quite the contrary in fact with something like the latest UK firmware release, i9100XWLSS.

First you need to establish if it is a problem with the masts near you or your modem or your hardware.

Try your sim in another handset and see what the signal is like and also try another carrier's sim in your phone.

This should indicate if the signal itself is to blame or if the phone is.

3G mobile data network crowd-sourcing survey by BBC News

In a nutshell... I would get off of the old Spanish firmware you are on and try the latest, (yesterday), UK, unbranded, firmware.

Upvote 0
None whatsoever.

What is NFC and why is it in your phone?

Updating to JB would not normally cause a loss of signal. Quite the contrary in fact with something like the latest UK firmware release, i9100XWLSS.

First you need to establish if it is a problem with the masts near you or your modem or your hardware.

Try your sim in another handset and see what the signal is like and also try another carrier's sim in your phone.

This should indicate if the signal itself is to blame or if the phone is.

3G mobile data network crowd-sourcing survey by BBC News

In a nutshell... I would get off of the old Spanish firmware you are on and try the latest, (yesterday), UK, unbranded, firmware.

Thanks for your kind help! I will update to that one and see what I get, if only i read your post before flashing LSN on it (in middle of it) will reflash to LSS though seems a better choice.

Again,. Thanks

Benny

Upvote 0
if only i read your post before flashing LSN on it (in middle of it) will reflash to LSS though seems a better choice.

From my very first post, #2...

1. If you do not need the NFC capability of the GT-i9100P firmware, you could flash, using the instructions in #1.7 of the Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide the latest, I9100XWLSS, firmware, JB, Android 4.1.2, for the GT-i9100 for the UK. This has the MS2 modem which has proved to be very good for a lot of people.

I try my best... ;)

Upvote 0
You are now using the Virgin Mobile network which, if I remember correctly, piggy backs on T-Mobile

Not strictly true. Virgin Mobile uses the EE 3G network so should, in theory, use Orange masts if their signal is stronger. However I'm aware of some customers suffering degraded service after T-Mobile masts were decommissioned due to the area already receiving Orange service, so it might be worthwhile requesting a replacement SIM from Virgin.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Not strictly true. Virgin Mobile uses the EE 3G network so should, in theory, use Orange masts if their signal is stronger.

You're right Slug old boy. I was last on Virgin about 4 or 5 years ago, before the merger, so I wasn't entirely sure.

It does make sense that Orange would decommission and amalgamate masts where possible.

Right... beer-o-clock! :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones